Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next SuperCharger to open in Virginia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Farmville VA would be nice - It is also the location for the Vice Presidential Debate and has two large colleges that get a lot of traffic. Longwood University has 5000 students and Hamden-Sydney College 1100 students. It also fills in a huge hole in the state connecting several superchargers (Lexington, Glen Allen & South Hill)

Also my daughter is going to school there next year!

Have an imminent trip to Johnson City TN from DC area, so I guess I will get my taste of this area's SuperCharger need. We will be staying overnight in Abingdon at an Inn that has a Destination charger. That looked like the best approach.

Farmville VA would be nice - It is also the location for the Vice Presidential Debate and has two large colleges that get a lot of traffic. Longwood University has 5000 students and Hamden-Sydney College 1100 students. It also fills in a huge hole in the state connecting several superchargers (Lexington, Glen Allen & South Hill)

Also my daughter is going to school there next year!

I agree, somewhere on Rt. 460 would enable folks to get from the superchargers in Norfolk to Lexington with range to spare. Of course, if/when Ruby Tuesday (and/or Sheetz) start putting SCs at some of their locations, maybe they will do it strategically enough that this area of the state will have some coverage.

Have an imminent trip to Johnson City TN from DC area, so I guess I will get my taste of this area's SuperCharger need. We will be staying overnight in Abingdon at an Inn that has a Destination charger. That looked like the best approach.
If you can make it from the DC area to the Lexington, VA SuperCharger, you should be fine. You can stop off at the Wytheville SC if needed, as well. There are a few destination chargers along the way (I've used the one in Christiansburg a few times, myself). Good luck!

Staunton chadeamo, like all green lots chargers, seems to be down more than it is up. Don't rely on it.

I agree the Dennys at Strasbourg is lame and depressing to enter. But they like their tesla customers and get a lot of them.

Thank you all for your advice. We dove down to TN (near Bristol) on Sat and back on Sunday for a family event. Charged fully and Nav routed me through Lexington and Wytheville on the way down. Used the energy app to manage kwpm to Lexington and really used autopilot (vs just playing with it). Made it an easy trip. Food at Lexington not so good, but we did actually find a breakfast spot w/I walking distance - Country Cooking. It is across the highway in front of the Comfort Inn. (Applebee's doesn't open til 11a and the Holiday Inn Express stops serving their pretty limited fare at 10a, and of course we arrived at 10:05a).

We were running behind schedule so we took close to the minimum charge at Wytheville. That worked out ok because we stayed at the Martha Washington Inn in Abingdon and used their Destination charger. When I asked if they had any other guests that needed the charger, they laughed and said they'd only had like 3 since they had put it in. I have to say that the Inn was a treat. We may go back in the fall for a long weekend. It's a very old historical hotel (circa 1839). Our room was fabulous. Had no time to enjoy the spa or any of the other amenities as we had to be back in Md Sunday evening. There is a Virginia State theatre (The Barter) across the street that gets very good shows. If you like the "Tuna" comedy shows, there is one that is going to be there in the fall.

On the way back Nav tried to route me through the Bethesda SpC - no way. I stopped in Strasburg instead, much better:).

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

I would echo the Farmville idea on 460 and not just because I'm a Hampden-Sydney graduate. The drive from Richmond to Lynchburg is ~120 miles. Lexington's in the wrong direction if I want to turn around and head home. So I bring an extension cord and plug in a 110 at my mother in law's place. Would be great to not feel any range anxiety going back and forth...

Alas, late August and not even a permit. My guess is that Virginia will not see a new supercharger opening this year. Wonder when Tesla will update the 2016 map (remove Bristol, Charlottesville, and Staunton) and release a 2017 map (hopefully including those sites)...

REALLY wishful thinking, but I stumbled upon this today while cybersleuthing:

City/Co: PRINCE EDWARD Place: FARMVILLE State: VA
Address: 2010 Street: S MAIN ST
Cross 1: SPRING VALLEY RD Lot #

Type of Work: CONDUIT - INSTALL

ENTIRE PARKING LOT

Ticket Search

The address noted is for a Domino's Pizza. Looking at the Google Street View, there's plenty of room to put in a Supercharger, but seems like an odd spot. Hope you're right!

I am so glad they finally have a plan for Longwood /Farmville - I posted a while back on some locations and it looks like they picked one about 150 feet from my original recommendation :) I also love that there is a bowling alley right there with beer, and entertainment.

original post here: Supercharger - Mt Jackson, VA

the Sheetz is next to the Dominoes - wonder if they got the supplies from Dominion Power?

Original Post follows:

Wish they would put one somewhere on route 15/ route 460 near or in Farmville VA...

Like the Sheetz on Main Street.

Google Maps

Or the Hampton Inn here:

Google Maps

Also all the supplies you need to build the supercharger are across the street at the Dominion Power Company storage lot right across the street from the Hampton Inn. Just rent a forklift and some wire cutters ;)

Google Maps

Anything you can't find there can be bought at this place right up the street.

Google Maps

Last edited:
REALLY wishful thinking, but I stumbled upon this today while cybersleuthing:

City/Co: PRINCE EDWARD Place: FARMVILLE State: VA
Address: 2010 Street: S MAIN ST
Cross 1: SPRING VALLEY RD Lot #

Type of Work: CONDUIT - INSTALL

ENTIRE PARKING LOT

Ticket Search
You need to open a new thread "SuperCharger - Farmville VA". I was going to do it, but you deserve the honor due to excellent sleuthing skills

Do we really know enough about this site to begin a new Supercharger thread?

Someone from Massachusetts says he stumbled upon a permit to install electric conduits in a parking lot at an address for Dominoes Pizza. He prefaced his post with, “REALLY wishful thinking...”

There is no coming soon pin in the Tesla map near Farmville.

What am I missing?