Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next SuperCharger to open in Virginia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
search.png

Cracker Barrel Old Country Store

3153 Lee Hwy, Troutville, VA 24175

• Helpful
Reactions: nikielizabeth
If Tesla decides to "go off the beaten path" of putting SuperChargers off of interstates in the future, I would hope somewhere like Lynchburg would be a consideration as it is an intersection of 460 (which traverses east/west across the southern portion of Virginia) and 29 (which traverses north/south along the east of the Blue Ridge Mountains) which is a nice alternative to traveling down I-81 or I-95 from NoVA to North Carolina. The Wards Road area in Lynchburg is a high traffic area that has plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby to pass the time while the Tesla charges. I suppose if Tesla does put a charger in Charlottesville, one in Lynchburg wouldn't be as critical, but it would be very convenient for folks traveling throughout the southern half of Virginia to have an option to SuperCharge (95 miles from South Hill, 196 miles from Norfolk (if you stay on 460 the whole way), about 50 miles (over the mountains) to Lexington, VA and 134 miles from Wytheville). In addition, I would love to see a Service Center somewhere within 100 miles of the center of the state :biggrin:.

Reactions: RTPEV
So, I guess Wytheville is next, and no word on where in C'ville...

I have it from a Tesla rep at a local test-drive event and a separate local source that it will be placed at the Shops at Stonefield in C`Ville, but this is of course hearsay. I'm watching the county's permitting system to see if and when something turns up on the associated parcels. Once it's really real, I'll update the board. This particular location also happens to be within walking distance of my house, so it should be covered as far as on-the-ground photography goes.

Yeah, well, within the context of "Next Supercharger to open in Virginia?" thread, "next" is relative.
Correct on C'ville == Charlottesville. When the Tysons service center opened, they announced the next set of locations in VA and speculation ran rampant. I think C'ville is the last one we're expecting in VA based on that announcement.

And it is funny that we have 2 Lexington Superchargers (so far)...

I have it from a Tesla rep at a local test-drive event and a separate local source that it will be placed at the Shops at Stonefield in C`Ville, but this is of course hearsay. I'm watching the county's permitting system to see if and when something turns up on the associated parcels. Once it's really real, I'll update the board. This particular location also happens to be within walking distance of my house, so it should be covered as far as on-the-ground photography goes.

I know exactly where The Shops at Stonefield are. We stopped at TJ's there on our way to drive down the BRP. We topped off at the Nissan CHAdeMO up the street.

So glad to hear that you will be watching over the site as the permit is issued and construction begins.

On the Tesla map for 2016, there appear to be pins around Charlottesville, Staunton, and Bristol.

Lanny

I'm really suprised by that location, because it is relatively far from I-64. I was thinking it might be at Rivanna Ridge.

I'm really suprised by that location, because it is relatively far from I-64. I was thinking it might be at Rivanna Ridge.

It's far from 64, but Route 29 is pretty much the main north-south corridor to NoVA / DC once you get west of I-95, but want to stay east of the mountains. The Stonefield location would be great for the Burlington, NC via Charlottesville to DC drive, while a charger in Staunton/Fishersville would be more useful for folks driving west out of Richmond via I-64. That said, there is a new "5th Street Station" development being built out just north of exit 120 on I-64. I haven't seen anything in the permits so far that looks Tesla-related, but that development is pretty early in its build-out.

Would they open superchargers at Stonefield if the Hyatt already has HPWC's? I'd have to agree with whoever said somewhere with easier access to 64 may be more likely.

BobV- welcome to the club! Teslas are rare in our parts. I'm about 20mi west of you over Afton but frequent Stonefield for a charge at Hyatt and Duck Donuts. Hope to see you around! (Maybe a central VA meet up is due?)

Now June and still no info on Bristol, Staunton, and Charlottesville?? And Laurel, MD seems to be taking quite awhile.

I checked the usual suspects in the Albemarle County permitting system this morning and nothing jumps out as being Tesla-related. I had spoken to a local commercial realtor who helped Tesla pick a location last year, but haven't heard anything since then.