TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

NEXT UP: Supercharger Network in SOUTHEAST

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by purplewalt, Jan 22, 2014.

Tags:
  1. driver_EV

driver_EV Member

ATL Georgia SuperCharger!, will this be the next one to come online? SC map says "Comming Soon"!

2. tomp

tomp Member

Double dots? On which map?

3. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

They updated the SC map about 2-4 days ago. Until that change there has always been a double dot on top of Augusta. It no longer is there. And there are rumors/reports of the SC going in a Outlet mall in Augusta.

4. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

And still only one red dot in Alabama, in Montgomery, and only in 2015. :-(

5. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Active Member

I wouldn't put much faith in the 2014,2015 red dots. The coverage in Georgia was pretty terrible until the recent update, and the additions were only to the coming soon map which apparently means within 2-3 months. I think they are only publishing new info when they are close to or have already confirmed locations. That doesn't mean there will be a ton of locations in AL before 2015, but I don't think it means there won't be either ...

6. MrSled

MrSled Member

has anyone seen any ground breaking or any activity at the Atlanta and/or Macon supercharger sites? was wondering if they have started either of them yet.

7. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

I spoke with the folks at Tesla Marietta last Thursday and they told me that the location has not even been confirmed yet. They were "hoping for Atlantic Station".

8. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

I think the Atlantic Station location is a little more than a hope. My understanding was that negotiations were still underway. Atlantic Station is very progressive with EV charging and with the shopping and eating locations there it is probably the best location for a Tesla driver to stop for a charge on the downtown connector. They have 4 J1772s and a Chademo right now in one location and are installing several more J1772s in their parking deck. The site is certainly capable of handling the Tesla chargers and a location had already been picked within the deck very close to their main power supplies.

9. Earthdog

Earthdog Member

Georgia Power has completed the site review at AS. Contract execution is a formality it will take a major issue to derail the site. Construction should be starting soon. Once construction starts it should be about 30 days to go live.

10. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

This is really exciting for me! Finally, I will no longer be out of range of a supercharger. I hope that when they complete Atlanta they move north to Chattanooga so the Atlanta folks have a plug in for northbound traffic. In the meantime you guys can feel free to contact me. My solar powered 80 Amp HPWC is on Plugshare.

11. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

For all of us in Atlanta it won't help us until we get another supercharger until Macon, Chattanooga, or Greenville built though.

I guess we can limp to Savannah without Macon, but getting back I bet isn't possible without 30-60 minutes at RV park.

12. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

If anyone happens by the installers at Atlantic Station ask them where they are headed next. Maybe they will tell us one of those locations!

13. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

We still haven't see any of the permits come in for the location yet. It's supposed to be on P2 by the 20th street entrance.

14. Earthdog

Earthdog Member

No permits yet. The site survey by Georgia Power is done. We should be seeing some construction within the next week or two as the install is expected to be very quick based on the infrastructure available. The bulk of the time will be in getting the equipment delivered from Tesla.

15. ilovtesl

ilovtesl Member

If I get the time i will try to go see if there is any construction for the Supercharger. Also will it have a canopy and how many stalls will it have for the teslas, and will it work for Model X?

16. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

I actually checked on Friday but there was no construction. Unfortunately until those permits are completed and approval there won't be much to see. Here is an article about the proposed work - http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/blog/atlantech/2014/03/atlantic-station-to-become-southeasts-largest.html

We also have an Atlanta based Facebook group where we discuss a lot of news and updates. Let me know if you're interested and I can send you the link.

17. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

I think the title of this thread is grossly misleading. Yes...I know they are working on a SC in Atlanta and even one in Macon but I was hoping for a push similar to the one they made for Elon's cross-country trip. I wonder why they have chosen to cut way back on SC installs. At the rate they are going it really will be a while before there is a workable "network" in the southeast.

18. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

Unfortunately you'll still be mostly cut off, except for Atlanta, but they'll probably bring 7 locations in the SE within this quarter. I think that's some decent progress, especially compared to where we are today.

superchargerlandingpagemaps_comingsoon_214 (1).jpeg

19. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

We will just have to see. It seems they have slowed significantly in the last month.

20. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

I agree completely. February and March have slowed down significantly. I'm not sure if that is a result of scaling back, being unable to work around the holidays (both in permits and construction) or the cold weather. However I think it will ramp up again.