Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next "version" of Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any evidence to support this, or is it just speculation? I was thinking so too, but Tesla has been doing a bunch of small, easy things to separate the S and the 3, that have the negative (to Tesla) effect of closing the product gap between the 75/75D, the 100D and the P100D, while leaving an absolutely enormous price gap.

I wonder if they would be doing those things if the new interior was in the immediate future?
Evidence is only circumstantial, Tesla has almost certainly ordered more than 1 million SoCs to power the M3 center screen, are they going to use Tegra 3s like the MS/X? Almost certainly not, that chip is 5 years old. So M3 will get a newer chip, Tesla won't want M3 to have an SoC which is superior to MS/X so S/X will get it too... this will likely come with other interior changes.

Evidence is only circumstantial, Tesla has almost certainly ordered more than 1 million SoCs to power the M3 center screen, are they going to use Tegra 3s like the MS/X? Almost certainly not, that chip is 5 years old. So M3 will get a newer chip, Tesla won't want M3 to have an SoC which is superior to MS/X so S/X will get it too... this will likely come with other interior changes.

I hadn't thought of that; an MCU upgrade now makes sense. But... if it were pending, why would they not do it in advance of the M3 event? The M3 event could definitely put the chill on S sales.

The only reason that I can think of, is that they don't have it ready yet. If so, it may be an interesting few months for the company. For Tesla's sake, I hope you're right.

Well, there is the recent rumor that a new dash is coming with a possibly horizontal center screen for Model S/X also, and a 1/3 or quarter windshield sized HUD.

This rumor came some time after Elon said Model 3 won't be getting a HUD (for now).

Seeing how Tesla has been working recently, this (possible) change will probably not mean anything beyond the dash, though. Tesla keeps changing the car piecemeal... see e.g. what incoherent mess is the Model X is shaping to be at this rate...

It brings up a good point that isn't talked about much. How many have "stretched" financially to buy a Model S? I don't have data, but it seems like a decent percentage would, being how desirable it is as the only high-performance EV on the market the last few years. These types of buyers will obviously choose the less expensive Model 3.

You have one here. We appreciate the hell out of our S because it was a stretch. But we're getting the 3 and keeping that while letting the S's lease expire about 18 months after our 3 arrives.

Well, there is the recent rumor that a new dash is coming with a possibly horizontal center screen for Model S/X also, and a 1/3 or quarter windshield sized HUD.

This rumor came some time after Elon said Model 3 won't be getting a HUD (for now).

Seeing how Tesla has been working recently, this (possible) change will probably not mean anything beyond the dash, though. Tesla keeps changing the car piecemeal... see e.g. what incoherent mess is the Model X is shaping to be at this rate...

Tying that all in to the Volvo hire re: the interior, I think with the exterior refresh only being about a year old now, we'll see an interior refresh that touches just about every surface inside the car, including perhaps that switch to the horizontal screen. Perhaps later this year or early next? Hard to tell without knowing their internal focus/team bandwidth re: Model 3 launch.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
You have one here. We appreciate the hell out of our S because it was a stretch. But we're getting the 3 and keeping that while letting the S's lease expire about 18 months after our 3 arrives.

I expect that there's a fair bit of that. I'm admittedly fortunate in that the S is not a stretch. But at the same time I'm cheap, and had the 3 been available at the time, I would not have bought an S. I don't really need a large car. And the crazy acceleration is nice, but... I'd be okay without it.

Tying that all in to the Volvo hire re: the interior, I think with the exterior refresh only being about a year old now, we'll see an interior refresh that touches just about every surface inside the car, including perhaps that switch to the horizontal screen. Perhaps later this year or early next? Hard to tell without knowing their internal focus/team bandwidth re: Model 3 launch.

Recently revised and rather manual Model X second row does not tie into that idea very well.

I'm still leaning on the idea that an interior refresh will touch the dash only or mostly... perhaps front seats tops...

But everything is possible, of course.

I think the remove of the alcantara dash from PUP was very telling. I'd bet they are just waiting to work through the current supply of a particular version of the dash, doors, etc. Once they are on the last few, they'll announce the long awaited interior upgrade.

I think the remove of the alcantara dash from PUP was very telling. I'd bet they are just waiting to work through the current supply of a particular version of the dash, doors, etc. Once they are on the last few, they'll announce the long awaited interior upgrade.

That's what everyone thought last autumn, though, when Tesla moved trim options to packages (basically limiting them) and later discontinued the ventilated seats... Here we are 6-9 months later and the interior is just getting sparser.

That said, of course a refresh is very possible. It might even be imminent. But given Tesla's history, sometimes certain changes are simply cost savings too...

Lexus? Right, put them in the bin. Premium or otherwise ;)
Honestly, Lexus is just as boring and ugly as Toyota, just overpriced too. No wonder no one buys a Lexus.
Just for reference, Lexus sold 1,627 cars in Germany this year over its entire range. Tesla sold 1,895. Even though BEVs are still highly unpopular over here and Tesla are a totally niche company.
So much for Lexus. :p
I had a Lexus RX prior to buying my first Tesla. Somewhat boring and somewhat ugIy, I agree. But very luxurious and 100% reliable (plus a great service), very much different from anything I encountered with my previous BMW's and MB's - which in turn still offered better reliability and luxury than Tesla does (Tesla's service is on the other hand on par with the best, though, and that best does not include MB or BMW imho). I even apologized to my Lexus dealer (who was not a dealer incidentally, all Lexus 'dealerships' in Belgium are owned by Toyota, so Toyota implemented that part of the equation before Tesla did!) for the fact that, despite his excellent services and the excellence of the car, I would be with Tesla from now on and not be back to him until Lexus made a BEV.
Anyway, to get back on topic: the MS is nowhere near to Lexus luxury (or reliability). If Tesla wants the MS to be different enough from the M3 to justify the price difference, they probably need to do something. And, given how smart Tesla has been over the last years in its marketing, I'm convinced they are indeed doing something today, behind our backs :)

At the high end of the S range you're paying (substantially) for performance. Supercar performance, mind you.
Supercar performance, yes, but without a suspension to match. In fact, the top-of-the-line P100D has the same suspension as the bottom line 75. It's quite lacking in terms of handling. The discontinued P85+ had a sports suspension and you could feel it, wow is that an amazing car to drive. Not so with the current generation. They drive and feel sloppy, tons of body sway, and generally feel like a big, heavy town car. Lots of reports of steering slop as well in the current generation of cars. Not good.

At least with a BMW M3, M5, etc., you get a car with a real sports suspension and all the goodness that goes with it. Tesla gives you great acceleration, but mediocre handling.

Those who are saying the Model S/X are luxury cars don't know luxury. The Model S/X have interiors on par with Volkswagen's mainstream, mid-priced cars. There is nothing luxurious in a Model S or X, not even by a remote stretch of the imagination. I'd say the interior is at or below the quality of my VW Jetta.

Tesla has some serious upgrading to do before anyone can really compare the Model S and X to real performance and/or luxury cars from the likes of BMW and Mercedes. There is currently no comparison, Tesla fails on all accounts except for the drivetrain. Look at a Mercedes S Class or a BMW 7 Series. The Model S, in the same price range, is an embarrassment if you ignore that it's an EV. For those who don't care about the drivetrain (there are many), Tesla is simply not a viable option.

Seeing all of these comments in most of these threads makes me wonder why a lot of you bought Teslas in the first place... so much disdain for Tesla... I just don't get it. You got what you bought - look at a Tesla and anyone can tell that for $100k, you're not getting a Mercedes or BMW, but then again, you're also not getting a Mercedes or BMW. If you want one of those, you should have bought one of those.

Seeing all of these comments in most of these threads makes me wonder why a lot of you bought Teslas in the first place... so much disdain for Tesla... I just don't get it. You got what you bought - look at a Tesla and anyone can tell that for $100k, you're not getting a Mercedes or BMW, but then again, you're also not getting a Mercedes or BMW. If you want one of those, you should have bought one of those.
It's possible to be critical of a product you adore because it has the potential to be even better. It's possible to criticize a company you love for the same reason. The world is not black-and-white. Facts are facts. Saying that my Model S has the same trim level of a VW Jetta doesn't mean I don't like my Model S. I'm simply stating the truth as I see it. I still bought one, I drive it everyday, and I have a Model 3 on order. But I can still want the product to be better, can't I?

It's possible to be critical of a product you adore because it has the potential to be even better. It's possible to criticize a company you love for the same reason. The world is not black-and-white. Facts are facts. Saying that my Model S has the same trim level of a VW Jetta doesn't mean I don't like my Model S. I'm simply stating the truth as I see it. I still bought one, I drive it everyday, and I have a Model 3 on order. But I can still want the product to be better, can't I?

Fair enough, but some of the comments in this and other threads are downright nasty towards Tesla, and frankly, embarrassing to the poster since they're totally ripping up a vehicle they dropped at least 100k on.

In the case of your statement, critical sure, and not nasty. But you're still off base with the interior assessment. I came from a VW Passat (dieselgate vehicle) and the interior quality is nothing close to the Model S. Big difference. I could ramble about 20 differences off, but a Tesla interior is a far cry from a VW interior. I'll give you that it's nothing like a Mercedes, but that's not their target market. Alcantara, Ultraleather, heavy weight carpeting, etc. I would expect the Model 3 to be a downgrade in interior quality, probably on par with a VW.

@ahkahn: I would wager it's not disdain for Tesla, not even close. It's just admitting a few harsh facts. I haven't got a Tesla yet, I have only got a Model 3 reservation. I have driven two Model S's though (2013 P85 and 2016 P100D) and from those experiences I can summarize this:

- great acceleration
- great overall BEV feel

That's it for the positives really.
The interior is ok, nothing more. Seats are ok, but nothing you can compare to the competition. The sole reliance upon the center screen for all the functions is logical as far as Tesla's design ethos is concerned, but I know many people (including Model S owners) who still would prefer a few buttons for stuff like the panoramic roof, the air suspension and one or two other things. Nothing major, just stuff that in everyday usage would be more handy than what is offered.

But the biggest problem is the price, especially once the Model 3 is out. Then the argument "Model S is a great BEV, that's why it's as expensive as German luxury cars even though the interior and equipment is no better than a VW Passat (if at all), which costs less than half as much" will fall apart. Because then people will see that Tesla can offer a great BEV at a reasonable price in the form of the Model 3. For that price people will accept the lack of luxury and features in exchange for a great BEV experience.
But honestly, there are very few Model S sold in Germany as is. Who will buy a Model S then (especially with the knowledge of what you get - or rather don't get - for paying as much as for a well eqipped S-class or 7-series)?

Reactions: Carl
in the case of your statement, critical sure, and not nasty. But you're still off base with the interior assessment. I came from a VW Passat (dieselgate vehicle) and the interior quality is nothing close to the Model S.

Perhaps the US VW cars, but not the ones over here. We have had VW cars for over twenty years, and when I look at those interiors, even some of the older ones were better than even the current 2017 Model S. Our Touran has a much better quality interior than any Model S, the current e-Golf in the higher trim levels also has better interior quality. Granted, Tesla's quality now is far better than what it was back in 2013, but it's still nothing to shout about. I fully expect my 2018 Model 3 to have a worse interior than my current 2004 BMW 3-series. I will still get it for all its BEV goodness, but I can't guarantee that I will never switch to a German or European make BEV after a couple of years. After all, in three or four years time there should be quite a few alternatives around to choose from.

My Model X has the best interior of any car I've sat in. I'll admit I haven't sat in a Mercedes S-class or anything like that, just E-class, 3-series, 5 -series, Volvo V90, etc. I'll admit the Model X lacks some features, like cooled seats, massage function, etc, but the interior is more than good enough for Tesla's purposes. Tesla doesn't need to have the best interiors, as long as the drive train is that much better than anything else.

Of course, I both hope and fully expect Tesla to continue to improve the interiors. I expect cooled seats to return within a few months.

model 3 will kill the model s sales.Its a no brainer to WANT to spend 1/3..or even 1/2 the price for really the same technology/drive. Sure there are differences but noone really buys a tesla stock with ZERO options...I mean most i know get a few options and that brings the price up alot. Sure the s is a hatchback which is nice and a bit larger( not many always have people in the back seat everytime they drive anyhow.)...My point is people are going on and on how the range will likley beat the 75d s model as well and if this is true then thats the nail in the coffin for the s. I like the s look and style but not the bloated price. if the model 3 will be 35k to 50k with future options and performance crap then the s model is still overpriced at 75k to 140k,,,and thats a huge gap because noone i know gets a 70k new s model-they usually always add options from paint to interior to other upgrades and that 75k becomes closer to 100k...

So We just wont know untill the 3 is released and all you s owners can test drive them to compare....Me i dont care about the whole p model stuff as insurance is way way higher and using the speed around town and on the highway is too infrequent and the standard 75d(60d) is plenty fast and faster then the majority of other cars anyhow. So 140k+ for the p100 d is money tossed away for me-not only in the car but in the insurance premiums.

When did your AP stop working? Have you tried taking your car to a service center?

I'll assume you are being sarcastic.

ob·so·lete
ˌäbsəˈlēt/
adjective
  1. 1.
    no longer produced or used; out of date.
    "the disposal of old and obsolete machinery"
    synonyms: outdated, out of date, outmoded, old-fashioned, démodé, passé, out of fashion;More

My AP is out of date and not longer produced. Is my terminology bothering you?