TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

NextGen Roadster in 2018?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by wayner, May 7, 2015.

1. wayner

wayner Active Member

The wikipedia page for the Roadster says:

Is this still in Tesla's long term plans? Is there to be a new generation of the Roadster?

2. Habious

Habious Member

As someone who's never met anyone who's met anyone who works at Tesla, I can confirm that this is 100% true, and is on schedule for a release in the first week of April, 2018.

You can quote me!

3. wayner

wayner Active Member

If you own a Roadster how can you say that you have never met anyone who works at Tesla? Have you never been to an SC? Let us know what you have heard.

4. Habious

Habious Member

Actually, I bought my Roadster used. I had the pre-purchase inspection done by Tesla (but arranged through the used car dealership where I bought the car - wasn't local). And the only service I've had done it it...they picked it up from my house, and dropped it off in my driveway (I wasn't home) when they were done.

...and my original post was meant to be a joke. Sorry.

5. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Hahaha...very good! :wink::biggrin:

I think there is an old quote around somewhere ...Elon saying a new Roadster before 2020...the quote would be at least 2-4 years old fwiw...

Hope you're right about 2018 though...:wink:

6. wayner

wayner Active Member

I know - was just egging you on and was pretending you were hiding something.

7. Habious

Habious Member

We have lots rumors on the Model X right now. There's quite a bit of speculation and innuendo about the Model III. If someone tells you they have concrete information about the model after THAT...they're lying or delusional!

8. wayner

wayner Active Member

I agree - I am not starting any rumours I am just wondering if anyone else had heard about this. I didn't make it up - go to Wikipedia and read the article on the Tesla Roadster.

I personally haven't heard anything other than Model X later this year and then the Model 3 news, especially with EM saying that the Model 3 will be introduced in 10 months and start shipping in H2 of 2017. By 2018 the Model S will be due for a refresh but it would be nice to see an updated Sports car from Tesla.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I'd say the probability of a next-gen Roadster by 2018 is zero.

If they do one it would be a variant on the Model 3 platform, so it definitely won't appear before Model 3.

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

NextGen Raodster in 2018?

That information in Wikipedia about when the next generation Tesla Roadster will be launched is pure speculation and should be removed. Note the citations supporting it are weak.

I think even the Model 3 platform is likely too big for the next Roadster. It needs to be a smaller chassis. Not just 20% smaller than the S, more like 30% smaller.

11. Fiver

Fiver Member

Agreed. I'm sure Tesla would love to remake the roadster using modern batteries, motors, tech etc.. I'm also sure it's probably below even a Model S redesign in priority for the company right now. I'd say based on hard facts and science that we will see a new Roadster released for pre-order on May 1st, 2023.

12. bobinfla

bobinfla S-Vin 4086 Rdstr-Vin 0019

It will definitely, positively happen in 2018!

(Though Tesla time moves a little different than standard time, so 2018 is not scheduled to arrive until 2023 or so:confused:)

13. Hank42

Hank42 Member

I dunno - have you seen the Jaguar F? It's pretty big and can still be considered "Roadster-esque". The next-gen roadster doesent necessarily need to be the same form factor.
    Jaguar-F-Type-coupe-official-image-1.jpg

14. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Didn't Elon say new Roadster in 4 years? So next Roadster will be produced in 2019. It's simple.

15. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

We know that the model 3 is going to be sized like a 3-series BMW or a C-class MB. I expect that the next roadster will be much more like a 3-series convertible than like the current roadster.

16. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I hope they keep it a true a Roadster just with better storage and easier to get in and out of.

17. m0rph

m0rph Member

A car based on the new Lotus exige 3.5 platform, with a lighter PEM located low behind the rear axle, keeping the current weight at just above 1200kgs would make it a killer..

18. dsm363

I'd imagine Tesla will base their car on one of their platforms but something that size would be perfect.

19. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I thought I remember Elon saying it would seat 4 (a 2+2)?

20. dsm363

Might have missed that but that's my guess at what they'll deliver anyway. More of a Porsche 911 kind of car as it has a broader appeal than a 2 seater and might sell better.