Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHRA / IHRA rules for Plaid/Plaid+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m greatly looking forward to seeing the Plaid and Plaid+ vehicles tearing up the drag strip. However, given their performance, it is getting into uncharted territory for the NHRA and IHRA rule books for stock vehicles running low 9s or high 8s 1/4. If you recall, the Dodge Demon test vehicle got kicked out of the track for running 9.65 sec and Dodge used it as advertising.

Main question: will these vehicles need roll cages, competition licenses, Parachutes, chassis certification etc..?

IHRA rules: 2019 IHRA Rulebook
6F566248-C15B-49B6-AA0A-037561AB3BAD.jpeg

NHRA rule book: Shared Publication

EXAMPLE: Why Dodge Demon can’t run at the drag strip: Here's Why You Can't Take Your Dodge Demon To The Drag Strip

Looks like the rules will have to be modified.

* Fire system (required on engine, should have new wording for electric vehicles)
* Flexplate and shield (looks to be shielding should the transmission explode, exception for electric vehicles needed?)
* Floor (floor must be steel on the drivers side? Shouldn't titanium be allowed? Surely tesla underbody shield is sufficient.)
* harmonic balancer (exception for electric vehicles needed?)
* transmission shield (not sure why this is listed separately from flexplate and shield but same comments apply)

Experienced this type of thing when Dodge Vipers began to dip into the low 12's-High 11's

Initially they asked drivers to go home when they dipped into restricted times. Later they allowed us to run if our cars were "100% Factory Stock". This meant stock tires, shocks, 3 point safety belts, no short shifters etc. Had to run a factory top etc.

Imagine they will need to write some new rules for these even faster EV's.

Might require some initial safety and training for those new to drag racing or take prior track experience into consideration.

Imagine no passengers allowed, Helmet, Jacket, Gloves for drivers.
Probably institute a training proceedure for track owners and EV fire suppression equipment plus extraction instruction for the safety crews.

Remember, drag strips often treat their launch areas with sticky VHT treatments. Will add stress to your drive lines and wheels. These factory speeds are are going to be new for the tracks and it might take some time for them to sort it all out.

Lots of current rules like bell housings, transmission shields, engine blankets etc will not be applicable to EVs. With more experience will come more rules changes.

I think the toughest rule will be the roll cage, I use to run into this in my 87 Buick GN, I would run it in the low 12's, then the last run of the day I would crank the boost/fuel up and run well into the 11's. When I picked up my time ticket I would let them know I was done for the day, they would always chuckle and say good, because you can't run again today. :)

• Funny
Reactions: Cowby and bhzmark
Just like Uncle Paul mentioned about the Vipers in the 12’s We went down this rabbit hole with the GTR’s when they first came out and we were running tens stock before they updated the regulations. It came down to how each track wanted to handle it. I found showing up with a helmet and jacket then being respectful with the staff usually worked and allowed us to run.

The reality is the track insurance doesn’t cover anything outside the rules so you are asking them to assume the risk if anything happens. If they feel you are not someone they can trust they are much more likely to turn you away. Most of them want to see you race but not if you’re a liability.

The rules will catch up with time.

Went down this path with my new at the time C6 Z06. A bunch of us ran low 11s and got kicked out. How far we've come! They should simply change it to if it's a bone stock production car you can run whatever it can do without worry. Until then I'll be standing on the brakes [forward thrusters?] at 1,000 feet!

The run that was too fast for the rulebooks in 2006. lol

Announced this weekend at PRI:

“NHRA rule amendment to 2022 rule book announced at the PRI trade show in Indianapolis.

FOR 2014 AND NEWER CARS.

NO ROLL CAGE REQUIRED UNTILL:
SUB 9.00
or
EXCEEDING 150mph”

So Plaid can run at NHRA tracks, but it usually traps 152-154 mph. May need to lift before the finish?
This is great news... but it will need to be revised again soon. If the roadster ever makes it out or if Dodge follows through on its "eMuscle car"

I think 8 second range is where many of these performance electric vehicles will end up. There really isn't a tradeoff to having a higher power EV for these OEMs. With ICE they needed to balance performance and fuel economy, now they can have 8 second cars that give them "Zero emissions credits" and "100MPGe". Only tradeoff is cost, but people are willing to pay for more power and performance vehicles are typically more profitable.

The golden age of performance vehicles may just be starting.