Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to play contrarian, given we have some very relevant current events that show how manufacturers may react to calls for recall from NHTSA. For example see what Ford is saying about its recent recall (keep in mind we are talking about airbags that may explode and have killed a few people already as a result):

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Sidenote (GM did the same thing too last year in terms of appealing):
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

That's just standard recall procedure required by law (if an issue was pushed to recall status), nothing to do with a specific manufacturer being proactive:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.d.../14218-mvsdefectsandrecalls_041619-v2-tag.pdf

Well Tesla have not even officially responded to the first request by NHTSA yet (not even close to the appeal process that Ford for example went through with the airbags as above). Let's see how they respond first before drawing conclusions and bringing out the pitchforks.
I'm not suggesting the other car makers are all model citizens, and go out of their way to make things peachy keen without a swat on the butt from NHTSA.

(After all - if they were really that proactive - there'd never be an NHTSA mandated recall in the first place.)

But this situation is unique. What's going on with our Model S's is nothing like an airbag recall, or any other recall I can think of in recent memory.

These cars are turning into non-driveable stacks of batteries and leather.

People are afraid to use the car because no one knows what moment the damn screen will go kaboom and leave you stranded.

During this crazy run of rain we're getting in Northern California - there ain't no way I am venturing too far from home with the screen issue.

You know and I know Elon wouldn't live with this issue for 10 minutes if this was occurring with his own car. I assume he's driving a Tesla... ?

These cars are turning into non-driveable stacks of batteries and leather.

People are afraid to use the car because no one knows what moment the damn screen will go kaboom and leave you stranded.

Does it really? People have driven their cars for weeks without the Tegra daughtercard even installed. The car is driveable even without the screen being up and running. (Even more so now that they have made changes to make sure the headlights/HVAC are on auto and bypassing PIN-to-drive when the eMMC fails.)

Does it really? People have driven their cars for weeks without the Tegra daughtercard even installed. The car is driveable even without the screen being up and running. (Even more so now that they have made changes to make sure the headlights/HVAC are on auto and bypassing PIN-to-drive when the eMMC fails.)

The only reason they made that changes was to avoid a recall.

The only reason they made that changes was to avoid a recall.

Or was it to give people a better experience when something fails before they can get it in for repairs. I certainly don't know how they are thinking, and I can't imagine you do either.

But in either case it doesn't change the fact that the eMMC failing does not normally make the car undriveable.

Or was it to give people a better experience when something fails before they can get it in for repairs. I certainly don't know how they are thinking, and I can't imagine you do either.

But in either case it doesn't change the fact that the eMMC failing does not normally make the car undriveable.

Nope they did it strictly after the heat of the recall.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Software band-aids to keep the HVAC and headlights nursing along is not a cure.

If we're arguing about what one refers to as "driveable" - that's kind of evading the point at hand. If the screen that is in effect the heartbeat of the car is dead - that's one fat elephant in the room.

And at another level... I know many folks on these forums tend to minimize the Tesla cost equation, noting that these aren't luxury cars.

(I agree with that - I'm totally fine with its less-than-luxury interior)

But still... if you're selling 100-thousand dollar cars... you ought to be able to back it up when the *sugar* hits the fan.

This scenario would be a first in automotive history.

Carmakers improving the product so someone would have a better experience before something fails ?

Elon has the best word for this explanation... ludicrous !

I never said it was a cure. But it doesn't leave you stranded like you were suggesting.
If my screen goes blank and I have to sit and wait 10 minutes for a re-boot... this is not driveable.

If the first re-boot doesn't take of the issue... this is also not driveable.

mP3mike - if you're perhaps a TSLA investor or employee - it's still OK to admit the company has its foibles. My employer has plenty of foibles too. But I work hard to address them for my clients' sake.

If my screen goes blank and I have to sit and wait 10 minutes for a re-boot... this is not driveable.

But, it is driveable. You shift to drive and go on your way. Is it perfect? No. Do they need to fix it? Yes. But like I said people have driven their Model S for weeks without the Tegra daughtercard installed, while the main screen was unavailable. (The IC is normally available and works during this time, which isn't the case when MCU2 fails.)

It certainly isn't ideal, but it doesn't leave you stranded.

mP3mike - if you're perhaps a TSLA investor or employee - it's still OK to admit the company has its foibles. My employer has plenty of foibles too. But I work hard to address them for my clients' sake.
If what he says is true (my impression was the same too, the system was designed to be able to drive with all screens off), his point is merely that it's not as bad as you made it out to be, not that it's safe or that Tesla doesn't need to do the recall as a result.

There's a pretty big difference between the car completely stopping and not moving on a screen crash (the impression most people have of the system) vs what is happening now (screen unavailable which makes it unsafe due to things outlined in the NHTSA document).

Last edited:
But, it is driveable. You shift to drive and go on your way. Is it perfect? No. Do they need to fix it? Yes. But like I said people have driven their Model S for weeks without the Tegra daughtercard installed, while the main screen was unavailable. (The IC is normally available and works during this time, which isn't the case when MCU2 fails.)

It certainly isn't ideal, but it doesn't leave you stranded.
A car with blown headlights is also drivable, doesn’t mean you should drive it or you won’t get a ticket if you’re driving at night.