Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can complain that you don't need this feature or that feature but do you really want to go back to the original software that your Tesla came with? If you never got an update your MCU would most likely still be perfectly fine.

YES!!! EXACTLY!!! It would be " perfectly fine" without any of Tesla's Trashdates. Just leave MY UI alone, is that too damn much to ask?

Apologies if this was covered elsewhere, but I'd appreciate any recent data points on how long the MCU2 Upgrade took to complete. Even considering the recall potential, I considered $1,500 to be a fair price for the add functionality on my 2016 85D. I have an appointment next Friday. The SC via the app said the appointment will take most of the day, possibly stretching to the next day. Does that align with other recent experiences? Given that I'll be driving in from out of town, I'd hate for it to stretch beyond 24 hours.

Apologies if this was covered elsewhere, but I'd appreciate any recent data points on how long the MCU2 Upgrade took to complete. Even considering the recall potential, I considered $1,500 to be a fair price for the add functionality on my 2016 85D. I have an appointment next Friday. The SC via the app said the appointment will take most of the day, possibly stretching to the next day. Does that align with other recent experiences? Given that I'll be driving in from out of town, I'd hate for it to stretch beyond 24 hours.

It normally takes less than 2 hours to swap the hardware. Installing and configuring the software seems to normally take 2-4 hours. Though sometimes it takes much longer.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I was told 1/2 day with a mobile tech. Was scheduled for Monday but they just pushed to Tuesday.

• Funny
A4F4BE1B-F1B9-4A94-8E88-84ED2C05DA4C.jpeg

In early January 2021, my MCU1/AP2 -> MCU2/AP3 w/ Radio Upgrade took two full days at the service center (Sterling, VA). Mobile service for this upgrade was not available.

• Informative
Yeah. The issue is not the "80 million in parts and labor", it's that they would need to double the number of service centers and mechanics to get this done. If they are already at the point where they are so short staffed that SMS only communication is the rule, a real recall will destroy the current service infrastructure.
To destroy it, it has to exist to start with?

The eMMC chip is a BGA part in the middle of a PCB. It requires serious rework equipment and experience to do. It is not a snap in chip or anything. I would not want a MCU1 that had been "repaired" by some guy with a hot air station in the back of a Tesla dealership.
I pulled my MCU and daughtercard and took it to a local place that did cell phone repair and PCB rework and had him pullt he Hynix eMMC and solder on the Swissbit i had supplied. Took him all of 5 minutes with his hot-air station, and he had never done one before.

Swapping these in batches to a facility prepared to handle them should be able to turn them around pretty fast I'd imagine.

FYI, read your order agreement:
I pulled my MCU and daughtercard and took it to a local place that did cell phone repair and PCB rework and had him pullt he Hynix eMMC and solder on the Swissbit i had supplied. Took him all of 5 minutes with his hot-air station, and he had never done one before.

Swapping these in batches to a facility prepared to handle them should be able to turn them around pretty fast I'd imagine.

And he X-rayed it to make sure everything was fine and it would last 15 years in an automotive environment?
I'm fully with you, it can be done. However, when doing a recall on a safety critical device, you need a bit more of a quality process than "it works once when I booted it!". My only comment was that Tesla won't be doing this in the back of the shop. But in a good facility, yes, it is quick.

How did you get the data onto the eMMC that is needed to make the MCU boot?

FYI, read your order agreement:

And he X-rayed it to make sure everything was fine and it would last 15 years in an automotive environment?
I'm fully with you, it can be done. However, when doing a recall on a safety critical device, you need a bit more of a quality process than "it works once when I booted it!". My only comment was that Tesla won't be doing this in the back of the shop. But in a good facility, yes, it is quick.

How did you get the data onto the eMMC that is needed to make the MCU boot?
Lol... you want him to guarantee something that the original manufacturer doesn't?? Oh kay... :rolleyes:

Yeah, infant mortality rate for electronics repair like that is such that if it boots the first time, it'll likely boot every time. What's more I'd venture to say the environment a cell phone, which is what they typically repair, experiences is probably several times worse than what the that daughtercard experiences. When's the last time you dropped your MCU on the floor? :p

I was able to recover my data with some effort and a few tricks, and then write to the eMMC (with a little special sauce added) with the programmer I bought.

Lol... you want him to guarantee something that the original manufacturer doesn't?? Oh kay... :rolleyes:

Yeah, infant mortality rate for electronics repair like that is such that if it boots the first time, it'll likely boot every time. What's more I'd venture to say the environment a cell phone, which is what they typically repair, experiences is probably several times worse than what the that daughtercard experiences. When's the last time you dropped your MCU on the floor? :p

This is in a thread about Tesla having an 8 year warranty on the eMMC, and possibly being forced to recall all of them as they are safety critical, but maybe setting up a guy with a hot air station in the back of the local service center. Yes, I do expect Tesla to guarantee this and they already do. No, I don't expect the guy with the hot air gun to, which is why Tesla won't be using that process.

As someone that designs electronics that go in various kinds of vehicles, I can tell you the vehicle vibration and thermal stress environment is often much worse than a cell phone. Single shock events are not the primary failure drivers.

Glad you got your MCU fixed and upgraded. It's awesome to see people starting to fix stuff like this themselves.