Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would they drop the price to $1500 last week, and this week drop it another $250? They knew this was coming.
From a marketing standpoint they should have left it at $2500 and done a $1K discount. Every single car that is under the recall can do a MCU2 upgrade. The venn diagram is a circle. This would have seemed amazing- $1K off instead of doing the MCU1 recall!
The only thing that makes any sense is a discount for those under warranty (not saying they will do it). Or I guess giving you a discount before you do the recall, and no discount if you do the recall *then* do the upgrade?

Why would they drop the price to $1500 last week, and this week drop it another $250? They knew this was coming.
From a marketing standpoint they should have left it at $2500 and done a $1K discount. Every single car that is under the recall can do a MCU2 upgrade. The venn diagram is a circle. This would have seemed amazing- $1K off instead of doing the MCU1 recall!
The only thing that makes any sense is a discount for those under warranty (not saying they will do it). Or I guess giving you a discount before you do the recall, and no discount if you do the recall *then* do the upgrade?

Yep, like I said I think the $250 discount is for people that do the MCU2 upgrade instead of the recall. Lots of people have already had their daughtercard replaced with one that has the 64GB eMMC, so I assume that they wouldn't qualify for the discount. (They have already had the recall work performed.) So you end up with five groups of people depending on what they have:
  • MCU1 with 8GB eMMC with power liftgate: Recall or MCU2 upgrade for $1,250.
  • MCU1 with 8GB eMMC without power liftgate: Recall.
  • MCU1 with 64GB eMMC with power liftgate: MCU2 upgrade for $1,500.
  • MCU1 with 64GB eMMC without power liftgate: Nothing.
  • Already paid for MCU2 upgrade: Nothing.
It is possible that Tesla have resolved the issue preventing non-power liftgate vehicles from qualifying for the MCU2 upgrade but I haven't seen it yet.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Yep, like I said I think the $250 discount is for people that do the MCU2 upgrade instead of the recall. Lots of people have already had their daughtercard replaced with one that has the 64GB eMMC, so I assume that they wouldn't qualify for the discount. (They have already had the recall work performed.) So you end up with five groups of people depending on what they have:
It is possible that Tesla have resolved the issue preventing non-power liftgate vehicles from qualifying for the MCU2 upgrade but I haven't seen it yet.

Yes, that is what i heard. $250 off if you choose mcu2 instead of free daughterboard. Not confirmed of course. This is from a guy on facebook that claims to have seen the SB from the service centers saying it is no longer extended warranty and now a voluntary recall

• Informative
Yes, that is what i heard. $250 off if you choose mcu2 instead of free daughterboard. Not confirmed of course. This is from a guy on facebook that claims to have seen the SB from the service centers saying it is no longer extended warranty and now a voluntary recall

If there is a revised SB, Tesla is supposed to send a copy to NHTSB in like 5 days.

No change in the revision level or date of the eMMC SB posted on the NHTSB site, Dated Nov 23rd.

• Informative

Thanks for posting this information... let's hope this is confirmed in writing with a new SB.

Still some time left before it becomes official, but this outcome was exactly what I said would happen:
I find it funny people still arguing for free MCU2 as the "best solution" for Tesla. While I'm sure a lot of people would be happy to get a free MCU2 (other than those who want the radio features), from what I see it's pretty much a given that the recall action would be the same as the warranty adjustment program (replacing the 8GB eMMC to 64GB eMMC).
What remains to be seen is if the criteria for replacement becomes less strict than currently, which relies on evidence on logs before Tesla would replace (previous NHTSA letter suggests it should, as NHTSA suggests all 8GB units are essentially defective and will inevitably fail within the reasonably expected lifetime of the vehicle). Although I expect there will likely still be a priority system (with people with completely failed screens obviously getting first priority) based on supply of replacement parts.

Just got the email for the recall. They will swap the 8gb for the 64gb one. No discount for mcu2 upgrade.

"Tesla has decided to voluntarily recall certain Model S and Model X vehicles built before March 2018 that are equipped with an 8GB embedded MultiMediaCard (eMMC) in the media control unit because the eMMC may malfunction due to accumulated wear. Our records show that you own a Model S or Model X affected by this recall.
Additionally, Tesla will upgrade, free of charge, the eMMC on your vehicle with an enhanced 64GB eMMC.There is no need at this time to contact us as we will notify you when the parts become available. We kindly ask that you do not schedule a service appointment unless you receive a vehicle alert signaling memory storage device degradation or are actively experiencing a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen. If you already paid for repairs that addressed the condition covered by this recall, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will share details about reimbursement and eligibility by the end of March 2021."