Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When they perform this recall, do they replace:
1. The entire touchscreen?
2. Just the eMMC chip that is imbedded somewhere behind the touchscreen?

I ask because I have the other issue that breaks the screen right after the warranty expires, where the seal breaks and the sealant oozes down the screen. Want to know if the recall will resolve both issues or not.
Thanks.

No
If you go to the NHTSA website and input your vin it has more specific details.

For those that have had their eMMC replaced with the new 64 GB version, did your browser become usable? Not that I'm dying to use the browser, I'm just curious.
Its my understanding that having the new chip will not improve the browser functionality on the MCU1, its just too slow to do this. It's based on the chromium browser needed which MCU2 has....

@FlatSix911 (and others). You folks were correct. They rescheduled my appointment for the service center. They said due to complexity of the FM tuner. MCU only they can now do.

Guess I’ll go back and rate my earlier post funny too! :oops:

Now that they committed to replacing old mcu1 daughter cards through recall I’m not sure if I’ll go ahead with mcu2 or wait for the daughter card, see how it works, then decide.

No worries... glad to hear that you are now scheduled at a Service Center.
You should let them know if you want MCU1 or MCU2 before that appointment as they order the parts in advance for each vehicle VIN.

Here are the links to the latest NHSTA correspondence with Tesla...interesting to note the potential number of units affected is now 134,951.

RCAK-21V035-5245.pdf (nhtsa.gov)
RCLRPT-21V035-4682.PDF (nhtsa.gov)
upload_2021-2-2_12-5-34.png

upload_2021-2-2_12-6-5.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Droschke
Lol voluntary. If it waa voluntary why did they make the previous extended warranty 8 years, 100k miles
As noted, it is voluntary as long as they don't fight the NHTSA's call for it and does it themselves. I looked it up and technically NHTSA does not have "mandatory" recall authority (only FDA does). They can however impose fines, which is the closest thing. Even cases like Ford and GM's recent airbag recall (where they fought NHTSA before giving in at the very end when exhausting all appeal options) is still considered "voluntary".
https://www.gao.gov/new.items/d11603.pdf

Even in the accelerator pedal incident for Toyota, where they were fined, it was still considered "voluntary".
PRESS RELEASE: Toyota Files Voluntary Safety Recall on Select Toyota Division Vehicles for Sticking Accelerator Pedal

No worries... glad to hear that you are now scheduled at a Service Center.
You should let them know if you want MCU1 or MCU2 before that appointment as they order the parts in advance for each vehicle VIN.
I've been getting the parts order status emails 2x a week. Both parts have been on the list and shipped. That's why I was optimistic about home service. Clearly they knew what they were ordering. Oh well. Just wish they didn't cancel / reschedule at the last minute.

Reactions: FlatSix911
it is quite obvious that this is a voluntold recall.

Yeah, and after jerking their customers around for 9 years, trying to squirm out of it, and charging big bucks to fix it.

The TESLA SQUIRM maybe invent a new worm like dance

New Squirm song should include

eMMC
Batterygate
Chargegate
FSD = LOL
Summon = LOL
V9 :(
bowser browser
Worlds greatest warranty :confused: :confused:
Loaner cars = uber credits
yellow screens caused by daylight o_O What?

I wonder if some of Tesla's responses are written by Comedians.

Yeah, and after jerking their customers around for 9 years, trying to squirm out of it, and charging big bucks to fix it.

eMMC
Batterygate
Chargegate
FSD = LOL
Summon = LOL
bowser browser

Lmao

eMMC
Batterygate
Chargegate
FSD = LOL
Summon = LOL
bowser browser

You forgot suspension failures...

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
In the letter above...the wording stated as “ ...CERTAIN Tesla may be effected...”...so doesn’t it mean that NOT ALL 2012-2018 Model S may get free emmc replacement?

Tesla switched MCU in the middle of 2018, so it is factual that not all 2012-2018's are getting the recall.
Also, any car which already has the 64GB or MCU2 aren't being recalled either.
It's just very precise legal language.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Good to know...I thought the wording meant for Tesla choose and pick which one need to be replaced based on the chip health.

My MCU crashed constantly but Tesla still said the emmc is healthy and won’t replace it for free..:so hopefully this recall wording makes them replaced all emmc...even the healthy one

Good to know...I thought the wording meant for Tesla choose and pick which one need to be replaced based on the chip health.

My MCU crashed constantly but Tesla still said the emmc is healthy and won’t replace it for free..:so hopefully this recall wording makes them replaced all emmc...even the healthy one
I encourage anyone affected to read the FAQ they posted if you haven't already (which is where you get redirected if you go to the previous warranty adjustment program link):
Is Tesla offering to replace the component and how long does the replacement take?
Yes. Tesla will inspect your vehicle to determine if it contains an 8GB eMMC and, if present, we will replace the 8GB eMMC free of charge with an enhanced 64GB eMMC...
8GB eMMC Recall Frequently Asked Questions
Previously it said this:
Is Tesla offering to repair or replace this component?
Yes. Tesla will diagnose your vehicle to determine if the 8GB eMMC is malfunctioning due to accumulated wear and whether to repair or replace the component. If Tesla determines that the 8GB eMMC requires replacement due to the condition, Tesla will replace this component, free of charge, with an enhanced, 64GB eMMC to restore original functionality of the touchscreen.
Warranty Adjustment Program
So basically they will no longer be checking on health to replace it. As long as it is a 8GB eMMC, they will replace it. If you look at the NHTSA wording in the original letter, this is pretty much expected in order to satisfy the recall request (NHTSA says essentially all the 8GB eMMCs are considered defective).

As others point out however, obviously they will still prioritize different cases based on parts availability and severity of the issue. They don't want people rushing out making appointments for this recall all at once. FAQ mentions this:
How can I make an appointment for this recall?
If you are the registered owner, the only action you need to take at this time is to confirm that your vehicle is running software release 2020.48.12 or a newer release and, if it is not, to install the newest available release. There is no other immediate action that you need to take at this time, and you may continue to drive your vehicle. We will notify you when replacement parts are available. Until then, please do not schedule a Tesla Service appointment unless you receive a vehicle alert signaling memory storage device degradation or are actively experiencing a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen.

**“It is economically, if not technologically, infeasible to expect that such components can or should be designed to last the vehicle’s entire useful life,” Tesla said in the letter.**

Wonder what genius thought this was a wise thing to say. If it looks like poop, smells like poop, no matter how much you try to cover it up. Its still poop

**“It is economically, if not technologically, infeasible to expect that such components can or should be designed to last the vehicle’s entire useful life,” Tesla said in the letter.**

Wonder what genius thought this was a wise thing to say. If it looks like poop, smells like poop, no matter how much you try to cover it up. Its still poop
That's kind of a scary statement to make about all sorts of parts of the car. If true, and I was a competitor, I would snatch that comment and run with it.:eek:

Reactions: Droschke