Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm..... what exactly is the point of that? Isn't that why you have nav working to begin with? So that you know where you are? In an unfamiliar location, this would be counter productive. Unless I'm missing something here.

This is if you arent using navigation. Its a stupid solution, but it is what it is. Same can be accomplished by pulling up the sketchpad and then using music etc

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS
It still doesn't answer the question. (Although I just noted that I didn't put a question mark there, sorry!) I would like to hear from someone who has an AP1 vehicle who upgraded the MCU. I want to know if they think it's worth it. Right now, I don't think so. I don't think I'm going to watch any videos and I don't care about the games. As I understand it that's pretty much all it gets me. I really want to be wrong, I always love new tech, but it looks like a waste of $1,500.

You scheduled an mcu2.upgrade? Price?
I contacted them the day before the eMMC announcement to complain about the center screen blanking out for long periods of time, reboots taking 4-5 minutes, etc. They scheduled me for a service appointment. I asked if they're just replacing the eMMC storage, and Service responded that the entire MCU will be replaced. Then I got this message about the ordered part.

I contacted them the day before the eMMC announcement to complain about the center screen blanking out for long periods of time, reboots taking 4-5 minutes, etc. They scheduled me for a service appointment. I asked if they're just replacing the eMMC storage, and Service responded that the entire MCU will be replaced. Then I got this message about the ordered part.

Looks like you are getting MCU2. Are you under warranty?

On an AP1 vehicle or newer. I have AP1 and am siding towards saving the$1,500, but am open to being convinced otherwise!
Mine was an AP2.0 but my response has nothing to do with AP. If you are going to keep your car for a while and you road trip at all in it then it is worth the money IMO for the faster interface and responsiveness for menu items and the map. I don't play games or watch videos either. I would do it again. Your drivers display will also be replaced.

Reactions: henderrj
Yeah, still under warranty.
I'd really check that they will be doing this for free- given Tesla is pushing the MCU2 upgrade, they may assume you know this was $1500 and the "recommendation" was that you get it done but also pay.
FYI, "HW3" is because they put the HW3 autopilot computer in when they do the MCU2 upgrade. This won't give you any additional features unless you pay for FSD, but it sets you up for that in the future.
If they really are doing it for free- a bunch of us here want to see that invoice please!

I'd really check that they will be doing this for free- given Tesla is pushing the MCU2 upgrade, they may assume you know this was $1500 and the "recommendation" was that you get it done but also pay.
FYI, "HW3" is because they put the HW3 autopilot computer in when they do the MCU2 upgrade. This won't give you any additional features unless you pay for FSD, but it sets you up for that in the future.
If they really are doing it for free- a bunch of us here want to see that invoice please!

I think OP is either gonna get charged $1500 or he annoyed the SC enough for them to do it free

I would check if it was free (the estimate should come back with a number before taking it in), but I wouldn't try to be too pushy in order to not spook the SC to changing their minds to perhaps going back and changing it to only the eMMC swap. I believe someone up thread got a free MCU2 also (before this whole recall) but he had been to the service center so many times, probably they just did it to get him off their backs.

I would check if it was free (the estimate should come back with a number before taking it in), but I wouldn't try to be too pushy in order to not spook the SC to changing their minds to perhaps going back and changing it to only the eMMC swap. I believe someone up thread got a free MCU2 also (before this whole recall) but he had been to the service center so many times, probably they just did it to get him off their backs.

In. I'm going to harass my SC until they give me what I want now