Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My AUG 2017 Model X is at 83K miles, had the MCU failure. Had lots of screen reboots, going black for long periods ect and like others, Tesla denied fixing it. After the software update that shows MCU failure, they still tried telling me it's not guaranteed they will fix it until I showed them the notification on my IC.

Got my daughterboard fixed, but firmware would not take so they ended up replacing the MCU with another MCU1 (presume its refurb). Things are definitely a little better, no more blackouts. But from an overall usability perspective, I think we need MCU2. Navigating the UI, opening web browser ect... so much lag it makes my car feel like a dinosaur.

I would be very pleased if Tesla offered a discounted path to MCU2. I'm one of the oddballs with HW3/MCU1, and don't see how we can move forward for the next 3-7 years of firmware updates without making this leap.

At last.

The problem for Tesla here isn't cost, it's time.

Yeah. The issue is not the "80 million in parts and labor", it's that they would need to double the number of service centers and mechanics to get this done. If they are already at the point where they are so short staffed that SMS only communication is the rule, a real recall will destroy the current service infrastructure.

Right, the fact it disables the federally mandated backup camera means there is no way Tesla can get around claiming it's not a safety issue. The other thing mentioned in the document is the loss of HVAC (if HVAC was off previously) which meant no defog/defrost, another safety issue. It also mentioned the effect on autopilot and the turn signal chime.

I keep reading this about the federally mandated backup camera. That actually didn’t become “required” until 2018. So really, it probably has more to do with the defrost. I don’t see how they could enforce the backup camera issue unless they interpret it as no longer functional, even if not required at the time.

Yeah. The issue is not the "80 million in parts and labor", it's that they would need to double the number of service centers and mechanics to get this done. If they are already at the point where they are so short staffed that SMS only communication is the rule, a real recall will destroy the current service infrastructure.

Good. I have zero sympathy for them. I hope it absolutely crushes them and they look awful

How many folks are in the category that upgraded and paid for MCU2? We pre-emptively upgraded our MS and MX. A refund would be appropriate.

I paid to have my S fixed with a new MCU1 when it failed.
My X is in service now to get a paid upgrade to MCU2.

I will be extremely disappointed if Tesla doesn’t make things right for us long term owners. I expect to see some refund checks soon...

Keep fighting the good fight. If this becomes a NHTSA mandatory safety recall I'll eat my hat.

Aging like milk.

Isnt this sort of cancelled out a great deal by Tesla and the Warranty Adjustment Program for the Touchscreen that Tesla announced in November? Many of us already replaced the MCU and Tesla has said we will be reimbursed.

A recall doesn't have a time or mileage limit, which I think the warranty extension does. I think a safety recall would also apply to salvage title cars, but I am not 100% on that.

But thinking of how crippled the experience is already, I don’t see any pathway other than MCU2, even looking 1-2 years out.
Tesla doesn’t owe you a good experience. Just a functional MCU that can control the safety features of the car. A new daughterboard clearly accomplished this.

How many folks are in the category that upgraded and paid for MCU2? We pre-emptively upgraded our MS and MX. A refund would be appropriate.
Never gonna happen.

Can anyone confirm how one can figure out when the 8gb chip was upgraded?
We have HW 2.5, MCU2 but we have also had many of the symptoms people talk about here on ocassion.
Thanks,
NB
All MCU2s have a bigger chip and are completely out of scope.
I paid to have my S fixed with a new MCU1 when it failed.
My X is in service now to get a paid upgrade to MCU2.

I will be extremely disappointed if Tesla doesn’t make things right for us long term owners. I expect to see some refund checks soon...
You can request a check right now for the MCU1 replacement under the warranty adjustment program. No need to wait.

Edit: @MP3Mike brought to my attention that the details of how to request a reimbursement are coming next month per the message they sent announcing the program.

Last edited: