Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purely from a technical aspect: After being subjected to nothing but issues on my MCU1 after upgrading to HW3? I finally bit the bullet and purchased MCU2 upon guidance from my service advisor. Since that MCU2 install? ZERO issues. All voice commands work all the time, zero black screens/delays, zero "loading" messages for streaming services, zero delays/lag..I mean its as if the MCU2 was engineered/designed to work with HW3.

My guess is the Biden administration will be less tolerant of a light regulatory touch. Doubt they will get a pass on this.

Also have a scheduled customer pay daughter board replacement coming up and deciding what’s the best move now. Suspect supplies will be hard to get for quite some time if they are forced to do the full recall

Same here. I think I'm going to cancel an wait to see what happens.

Reactions: Ron Burgundy
Purely from a technical aspect: After being subjected to nothing but issues on my MCU1 after upgrading to HW3? I finally bit the bullet and purchased MCU2 upon guidance from my service advisor. Since that MCU2 install? ZERO issues. All voice commands work all the time, zero black screens/delays, zero "loading" messages for streaming services, zero delays/lag..I mean its as if the MCU2 was engineered/designed to work with HW3.

mcu2 is the real remedy. I think The software is too bloated for mcu1. There is both the hardware problem and the self inflicted “bloat” problem.

the ghost of my cheapskate father is keeping me from paying the $2500 for the MCU2 upgrade. Hard to break old habits!

I speculate that a large portion of the problems we are experiencing are software bugs.

clearly some have hardware problems but even people with new replacements are experiencing problems.

curious if they can optimize or cut down some of the bloat and make it work again.

I do like the idea of MCU2 at a discount with some features removed like advanced games, netflix, etc.

Reactions: Missile Toad
mcu2 is the real remedy. I think The software is too bloated for mcu1. There is both the hardware problem and the self inflicted “bloat” problem.

the ghost of my cheapskate father is keeping me from paying the $2500 for the MCU2 upgrade. Hard to break old habits!

Yeah. I have been holding out as well. I figured that there is no way that FSD will work on the little Tegra in the IC, with 1/6th the GPU power as IC2. But, now that this is going to be a whole thing, and service centers are going to be slammed for months/years, I'm going to bite the bullet. Having to possibly wait a year or two for a free upgrade is not worth it.

My guess is the Biden administration will be less tolerant of a light regulatory touch. Doubt they will get a pass on this.

Also have a scheduled customer pay daughter board replacement coming up and deciding what’s the best move now. Suspect supplies will be hard to get for quite some time if they are forced to do the full recall

You can have mine. Scheduled cust pay request in late Sept. Still has not shipped. I cancelled appt yesterday.

Our 2016 X has had its share of lag, blank screens, random reboots, and a complete crash while driving. When I got the letter about the memory replacement, I was going to place the service call, but we had to jet off for a family emergency and didn't want to place an appointment until we got back (yesterday). Since then, the recall threat came through. I guess we should just wait the 2 weeks and see Tesla's response? Or place the service request now and add more data to the pot of issues?

U.S. asks Tesla to recall 158,000 vehicles for touchscreen failures

Wow. I guess Tesla saw this coming and started offering the goodwill fix.

"NHTSA added that “during our review of the data, Tesla provided confirmation that all units will inevitably fail given the memory device’s finite storage capacity.”
U.S. asks Tesla to recall 158,000 vehicles for touchscreen failures

Wow. I guess Tesla saw this coming and started offering the goodwill fix.

"NHTSA added that “during our review of the data, Tesla provided confirmation that all units will inevitably fail given the memory device’s finite storage capacity.”
Don't count on any assistance from Tesla until the NHTSA forces them to make the change. My 2016 in in shop as we speak due to the MCU chip issues. Black screen, bluetooth screwups, not able to upload updates, and even going forward when I put it in reverse!!! A full reboot fixes the issue each time.And i have to do either a soft or hard reboot at least once a week.

Tesla notified me this morning that they found "nothing wrong" with the chip, and that this simply purged its memory and did a firmware update. When I asked about why they weren't going to replace the chip, they simply said that Tesla has not yet responded to the NHTSA and thus no chip replacement for me.

No problem, I'll gladly respond to the NHTSA. I am so disappointed in Tesla.

Finally!

Presently the "Warranty Adjustment Service Advisory" that us affected users have faced states that they will upgrade the 8GB eMMC to a 64GB eMMC (flash module in the MCU). My MCU reboots constantly and frequently loses audio notifications while using autopilot (lane changes without a ding to notify me - no turn signal sounds too).

I took my car in for this eMMC replacement but my SC refused to replace it as there is apparently a prompt that needs to be displayed by my car for them to do so.

My best is this recall just forces them to replace the eMMC instead of relying on whatever software update to identify it as an issue.
Did they say what the symbol was?
Thanks!

I speculate that a large portion of the problems we are experiencing are software bugs.

clearly some have hardware problems but even people with new replacements are experiencing problems.

curious if they can optimize or cut down some of the bloat and make it work again.

I do like the idea of MCU2 at a discount with some features removed like advanced games, netflix, etc.
Newer software making old hardware obsolete is not a software bug, it’s a feature!

In the letter to Tesla, the NHTSA estimates that the MCU failure takes an average of only 5-6 years. I bought a used Model S from Tesla (so still under warranty) and my MCU failed after 4.6 years and 36k total miles. It was replaced under warranty (with a refurbed MCU1) but since the odds of it failing again are 100% according to NHTSA, I'm curious what they are going to do permanently fix this. Tesla has a history of taking the cheap and easy way out and now they are going to have to pay for this behavior.
HA!
5 to 6 years for a failure?
My 2012 Sig has 43K miles.
I am on my 3rd MCU as of Dec 2019.
So try a MBF of 3 to 4 years, and not too many miles at all!

I'm sure you are correct. Both the Model S and Model X manuals have incorrect explanations of ways to invoke the voice recognition feature. This defect has been present in the manuals through several iterations of the manuals -- at least since 2019. If the _visible_ documentation can't be performed correctly, just imagine how well the _invisible_ coding is.

Also, 0 replacements on my MCU in 5 years, for those keeping score.

Folks....listen up. This behavior by the SvC is unacceptable.

As owners we have; indirectly paid for a warranty as part of the car purchase. It is expected that the warranty repairs will be accomplished to certain standards.

What @Cheburashka and @ks1972 is describing is plainly wrong behavior by Tesla.

Tesla has issued a Service Bulletin (SB) on Nov 20, 2020, which sets those standards.

If out of warranty, we expect the SB to be followed because we are directly paying for work to be done to same standards!

Just imagine if your livelihood (business) depended on your Tesla to work.
No wonder the Semi is delayed, and I wonder of those companies that may be, or are counting on the Semi, how many will be re-thinking about tying up capital on an asset that may leave them less than happy -- unable to produce for them?
It is one thing to treat the consumer as they do, but businesses will have a lot less tolerance.
Time is money for them, and to watch TESLA be valued at the rate it is, with the quality tanking, service as bad as it is, sales climbing that they cannot support with service.
I guess it looks like Tesla is still more concerned with revenue.
I thought the cash-flow (being 4 wks away from going under) was not a problem any more...

• Love
Reactions: Chaserr
HA!
5 to 6 years for a failure?
My 2012 Sig has 43K miles.
I am on my 3rd MCU as of Dec 2019.
So try a MBF of 3 to 4 years, and not too many miles at all!

Weird. My 56k miles 4 year old Model S MCU1 still works well. No replacement yet. I do make a point to keep my destination history clear. Not sure if that helps. I will be getting MCU2 when I get the FSD computer upgrade this spring.