Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Key: Sells parts for. Tesla is selling parts here. The question is why they are charging identically for them for cars that are in warranty. It's awesome that Tesla is supporting old cars, and nobody expects that to be free. But I do expect my 2018 car to still be working in 2021 without having to pay Tesla more.
I expect my Tesla car to work properly well after the warranty period unless something wears out. And by wears out I mean was used extensively until it's MTF was up. If the car has a material design flaw like the MCU1 eMMC then I expect Tesla to replace it within the normal MTF period.

Had Tesla told me that the MTF for my Model X was only four years I would never have bought it. Instead they alluded and advertised the cars to be virtually maintenance free and lasting easily hundreds of thousands of miles (with the exception of normal wear elements such as brakes and tires). Peoples cars are basically inoperable well under an expected MTF period because of this design flaw.

I expect my Tesla car to work properly well after the warranty period unless something wears out. And by wears out I mean was used extensively until it's MTF was up. If the car has a material design flaw like the MCU1 eMMC then I expect Tesla to replace it within the normal MTF period.

Had Tesla told me that the MTF for my Model X was only four years I would never have bought it. Instead they alluded and advertised the cars to be virtually maintenance free and lasting easily hundreds of thousands of miles (with the exception of normal wear elements such as brakes and tires). Peoples cars are basically inoperable well under an expected MTF period because of this design flaw.
You really are clueless about how stuff is designed and built and warranted. Everything can and will fail. You can call it whatever you want but that is the reason everything is covered by a limited warranty. Stuff happens despite good intentions.
Paranoid thinking style is destructive. Nobody warrants stuff to last forever.
The design failure here is the eMMC and Tesla will replace it if it fails

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Droschke
While I would love a new MCU2 for free, I also told myself if Tesla would deduct the price of a refurbished MCU1 from he price of MCU2 I would go for it. Thats pretty much where we are at.

There is always the possibility that they do a free MCU2 recall but maybe software lock features and make u pay for things like Tesla theater (more work and a jerk move but you never know)

I think... I might have finally won. See the attached screenshot.

I am not sure if this is foreshadowing at the resolution of the NHTSA recall or if this is a result of me bring a PITA.

Some context... My MCU reboots about 3 times per week. During this time when autopilot (fsd) makes maneuvers it does not give me any auditory notification and I frequently notice a lane change after the car is half way over the line. I just picked my car up from my 5th service visit addressing MCU failures. The usual "cleared the cache" and "firmware reset" nonsense. Then right after this service the recall was announced. I will admit, when I was in my SC I did cause a scene. I asked the SC manager "yes or no, do you believe autopilot making maneuvers without auditory notifications to the driver is a valid safety concern?" he started mumbling random words like "autopilot safety is important". yeah okay. I have not contacted an attorney, but I did tell my SC manager "my legal council has requested you provide me with all invoices from all service visits" I have been to the SC 10 times in my 14 months of ownership. I will admit I was being a pain but I was frustrated that they refused to replace my eMMC even though the exact issues I face are defined in the eMMC service advisory.

Fast forward to last Friday. MCU2 upgrade is now $1500. I am fundamentally against paying for an upgrade just to maintain a certain level of safety in the car. However with the increased frequency of reboots and for the extended amount of time (5+ minutes) that it is off for I just can't justify continuing to own this car otherwise. When I opted for the upgrade in the Tesla app I said I wanted it to be noted that "I am only upgrading for safety concerns and will await compensation pending the NHTSA recall".

This morning I received the following invoice in my Tesla app for approval. To my surprise, $0! I can't be sure if they are doing this because of the recall or because I threatened legal action (and rightfully so). I looked for the part number on epc.tesla.com and was unable to find it. I am wondering if this is the full MCU2 upgrade (with features) or just a processor replacement to address safety concerns. Also worthy of note I have already received the AP3.0 upgrade but this says that upgrade will be performed. Likely a bundled service item.

Thoughts?

upload_2021-1-25_9-35-41.png

I think... I might have finally won. See the attached screenshot.

I am not sure if this is foreshadowing at the resolution of the NHTSA recall or if this is a result of me bring a PITA.

Some context... My MCU reboots about 3 times per week. During this time when autopilot (fsd) makes maneuvers it does not give me any auditory notification and I frequently notice a lane change after the car is half way over the line. I just picked my car up from my 5th service visit addressing MCU failures. The usual "cleared the cache" and "firmware reset" nonsense. Then right after this service the recall was announced. I will admit, when I was in my SC I did cause a scene. I asked the SC manager "yes or no, do you believe autopilot making maneuvers without auditory notifications to the driver is a valid safety concern?" he started mumbling random words like "autopilot safety is important". yeah okay. I have not contacted an attorney, but I did tell my SC manager "my legal council has requested you provide me with all invoices from all service visits" I have been to the SC 10 times in my 14 months of ownership. I will admit I was being a pain but I was frustrated that they refused to replace my eMMC even though the exact issues I face are defined in the eMMC service advisory.

Fast forward to last Friday. MCU2 upgrade is now $1500. I am fundamentally against paying for an upgrade just to maintain a certain level of safety in the car. However with the increased frequency of reboots and for the extended amount of time (5+ minutes) that it is off for I just can't justify continuing to own this car otherwise. When I opted for the upgrade in the Tesla app I said I wanted it to be noted that "I am only upgrading for safety concerns and will await compensation pending the NHTSA recall".

This morning I received the following invoice in my Tesla app for approval. To my surprise, $0! I can't be sure if they are doing this because of the recall or because I threatened legal action (and rightfully so). I looked for the part number on epc.tesla.com and was unable to find it. I am wondering if this is the full MCU2 upgrade (with features) or just a processor replacement to address safety concerns. Also worthy of note I have already received the AP3.0 upgrade but this says that upgrade will be performed. Likely a bundled service item.

Thoughts?

View attachment 630539

Im not sure, but when you request service I'm not sure that anyone of significance (ie. service manager) takes a look at who or what the service appointment is for. Meaning... I'd be surprised if they recognized you from your service request and said "oh *sugar*" this guy, we better make this right. I could be wrong though. Either way I hope you have this victory!!

Im not sure, but when you request service I'm not sure that anyone of significance (ie. service manager) takes a look at who or what the service appointment is for. Meaning... I'd be surprised if they recognized you from your service request and said "oh *sugar*" this guy, we better make this right. I could be wrong though. Either way I hope you have this victory!!

Sounds like they did it bc you were being a PITA lol. Good for you though. I wish I had the balls to cause a ruckus like this. My mcu and AP do the same things.

Reactions: aerodyne
Sounds like they did it bc you were being a PITA lol. Good for you though. I wish I had the balls to cause a ruckus like this. My mcu and AP do the same things.
What I am hoping is this is foreshadowing at a resolution for everyone. I believe Tesla has until the 27th to respond to the recall? I purposely scheduled my upgrade for a date in February.

My MCU1 is on the way out, black screens/constant reboots, no audio and turn signal audio stops working.

I submitted a request to my service center and all they say is "The logs show no unusual activity" and refuse to take any action. Am I stuck waiting for the recall at this point?

My MCU1 is on the way out, black screens/constant reboots, no audio and turn signal audio stops working.

I submitted a request to my service center and all they say is "The logs show no unusual activity" and refuse to take any action. Am I stuck waiting for the recall at this point?

Yup we are all waiting. Before my 50k warranty expired on 2017, I showed them videos, pictures of the MCU crashing, black screens. They removed the request from my appointment for other issues when I arrived and I asked about it and the rep just said oh they looked remotely, no issues. Just double wheel reboot it. I knew then these sleezebags removed it so there was no history of me reporting this issue.

Yup we are all waiting. Before my 50k warranty expired on 2017, I showed them videos, pictures of the MCU crashing, black screens. They removed the request from my appointment for other issues when I arrived and I asked about it and the rep just said oh they looked remotely, no issues. Just double wheel reboot it. I knew then these sleezebags removed it so there was no history of me reporting this issue.
Did you have a USB key or other usb device plugin on your car can you try toi unplug all usb devices and try if you have the sames problems

Did you have a USB key or other usb device plugin on your car can you try toi unplug all usb devices and try if you have the sames problems

I stopped using sentry and dashcam. It helped. But i also stopped listening to Joe rogan, that helped. I also disable.navigation, which fixes everything.And stability has gotten better with software. This was about 6 months ago

• Funny
Reactions: ord3r

Clear Nav and trip history.
Schedule eMMC replacement
Or
Schedule MCU2

They wont even schedule the emmc replacement though, that is what I was trying to do. They just keep saying "the logs don't show anything" like what are they expecting the log to show? It's a hardware failure lol. Everything is going to report normally.

Ask them to answer the questions in writing per the SB, such as:

What chip does my MCU have?

Is there a error message in the logs?

For one type of chip, is there less than 65 slots remaining?

Drop a hint that if the MCU failure causes an accident, you will be pulling the daughterboard and have it sent to a third party for analysis.

@studioloft experience has indicated squeaky wheels get moved to the front for lubrication service...

Reactions: studioloft
My name is David and I have a problem. It’s been 1 day since I got ripped off by Tesla.

I paid $2500 for the MCU2 upgrade on Wednesday. Was refused a price adjustment today.

Need to reset the clock to zero days again. The new MCU2 gave me the black-screen-of-death last night while I was driving.
Whatever is fundamentally wrong has not been fixed -- or maybe something new is wrong. Put in for service, hopinh that I get a decent tech that will do the troubleshooting and not shrug and walk away.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke