Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someday... oh... someday... it would be lovely to be a fly on the wall (or an iphone set to record) and listen in to the engineering meetings with topics such as:

Get rid of P-R-N-D as we've always known it...
Get rid of the steering wheel as we've always known it...
Let's load the new car with an upgraded chip and memory to improve video-game access...

Say what? That older Model S issue? Who cares. Let's table it till the next quarter and until after the next earnings call.

Sad, but true!

I’m having so many problems with my 2017 MS P100D, that I’m seriously thinking of selling and leaving Tesla for good. I can’t take it anymore, and I’m tired of hearing all the BS from the service manager.

everytime I drive the car the screen freezes. Everytime.

Call your local TV news. Maybe they'll put you on air. Make sure you have a copy of your window sticker. It may be the only way to get Elon's attention.

I’m having so many problems with my 2017 MS P100D, that I’m seriously thinking of selling and leaving Tesla for good. I can’t take it anymore, and I’m tired of hearing all the BS from the service manager.

everytime I drive the car the screen freezes. Everytime.
I absolutely get this.

I bought my 2017 model X P100D last year from tesla.com/used. I was new at the time and nobody ever told me that 2017 cars will have MCU1. I was in for a rude awakening when I scheduled my first SC appointment because the MCU was so much slower then the test drive cars (2019 model). There is still no indication of this on the Tesla Used page.

Im just sad.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Lol. This is absurd. The car guesses what shift to put in and override on the touchscreen. So when touchscreen dies, you cant move the car. Because Tesla has such great history with reliable touchscreens and auto features (see autopark)

Given how inexact touch points on a capacitive touch screen are, can you imagine having to make a quick maneuver (like a fast K-turn) and trying to find/hit a "R" on the screen before getting hit by another car? Also - kind of sucks for people who may have a limited range of movement (e.g. missing a right arm).

I absolutely get this.

I bought my 2017 model X P100D last year from tesla.com/used. I was new at the time and nobody ever told me that 2017 cars will have MCU1. I was in for a rude awakening when I scheduled my first SC appointment because the MCU was so much slower then the test drive cars (2019 model). There is still no indication of this on the Tesla Used page.

Im just sad.

you can upgrade now... at some price it’s got to be worth it to reduce the sadness. Or just drink more heavily ...:p

Reactions: studioloft
Each day goes by I’m more pissed than the before. My car just sits in the garage. I can’t drive it anywhere where I might get stuck.

yesterday I took a gamble. Had to make 120 mile drive for work. While charging so I could get back. Both screens went black. This happens everytime I drive it. I’m sick of it. $162,000. piece of *sugar*. No screens no idea of it was still charging windows won’t roll down. Nothing.
And all the SM can say is. Well no news yet to fix your car. Pissed

Reactions: InternetDude
Each day goes by I’m more pissed than the before. My car just sits in the garage. I can’t drive it anywhere where I might get stuck.

yesterday I took a gamble. Had to make 120 mile drive for work. While charging so I could get back. Both screens went black. This happens everytime I drive it. I’m sick of it. $162,000. piece of *sugar*. No screens no idea of it was still charging windows won’t roll down. Nothing.
And all the SM can say is. Well no news yet to fix your car. Pissed

We can fix all of your problems. Just $1500. Cant make owners whole without company folding. Per elawn

Reactions: Alysashley79
I’m under warranty. Why should I pay 1500 for anything? Oh. Let see I bought a car with a back up camera and am/fm radio. But after I pay 1500 I loose those. Screw that.

Do what I'm doing. Get them to state in writing (in the Tesla app) that what you have is a known issue with the MCU, and it would be made better with MCU2. Get the upgrade, then take them to small claims court. Small claims is allowed in the Tesla arbitration agreement even if you didn't opt out.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
I'm pretty similar to gearchruncher. The car worked great when we got it 3 years ago; now it doesn't due to to Tesla's updates (I don't have emmc problems; it's firmware issues for me, though the symptoms look awfully similar - and of course emmc issues will arrive before too long). We absolutely should not HAVE to pay for an upgrade to get the car to work - or to avoid future emmc issues. As a matter of principle, I hate the idea of giving Tesla money for an upgrade we long ago decided we had no use for.

However, I'm also pragmatic. Given that all of these random reboots and freezes are unsafe and REALLY annoying, I don't see why I should force myself to live with it (worse, force my wife to live with it and complain constantly to me) when there is a quick and simple solution available. I can afford the $1500, and I am pretty confident that it will fix the firmware issues, avoid the emmc issues, and make the car much more pleasant and safe to drive (and even though we don't need them, it will be faster and have more features, and it will be better for resale value).

Even though I shouldn't have to pay for an upgrade, I will be MUCH happier if I do. I have filed a complaint with NHTSA, and I should look in to small claims idea. I figure there's still a chance of a recall or class action or something that could partially pay me back for this. But even if not...I am better off for doing the upgrade. Even if I don't want to and shouldn't have to.

I did state in my request for the upgrade that I wasn't happy about ordering it, and was only doing it to make the car operate as it should.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the response.. "Tesla has implemented certain Over-The-Air or OTA updates to subject vehicles to mitigate the effects of MCU failure. These updates include firmware changes to reduce memory usage of the subject memory card, improve eMMC error correction and storage management strategies, changing the control logic for turn signal activation, and defaulting the HVAC system to Auto (71.6F) for drives after MCU failure to address windshield defogging. Tesla indicated that the MCU failures are likely to continue to occur in subject vehicles as vehicles continue to operate and use available memory in the 8GB eMMC NAND flash memory until 100% of units have failed."

This is in the description on NHTSA site. Was this in the original letter from ODI.

However, I'm also pragmatic. Given that all of these random reboots and freezes are unsafe and REALLY annoying, I don't see why I should force myself to live with it (worse, force my wife to live with it and complain constantly to me) when there is a quick and simple solution available. I can afford the $1500, and I am pretty confident that it will fix the firmware issues, avoid the emmc issues, and make the car much more pleasant and safe to drive (and even though we don't need them, it will be faster and have more features, and it will be better for resale value).

Even though I shouldn't have to pay for an upgrade, I will be MUCH happier if I do. I have filed a complaint with NHTSA, and I should look in to small claims idea. I figure there's still a chance of a recall or class action or something that could partially pay me back for this. But even if not...I am better off for doing the upgrade. Even if I don't want to and shouldn't have to.

This is what Tesla is hoping for but in reality it's the best way to look at it. This is why I'm doing the same thing. I'm new to Tesla ownership but I have found out very quickly that service is terrible! Competition is coming so service will have to change. In the meantime I'll do what I need to do to enjoy my Tesla. I have a choice, stick to my principle making me upset as well as not being able to enjoy my MS or "rip off the bandaid" to the tune of $1500, get past the initial pain, so that I can enjoy my wonderful car.

This upgrade is worth it even if there wasn't any problems with the MCU. I read comments all the time about how much people love the fact that their old Tesla continues to get software updates that make their car feel new again. Well expanding features through software eventually requires updated hardware. WOW, we can upgrade the needed hardware for only $1500! My iMac cost twice that much! Why did I upgrade to a new iMac? Because it can handle the new software much better than my old iMac along with introducing new features. You can complain that you don't need this feature or that feature but do you really want to go back to the original software that your Tesla came with? If you never got an update your MCU would most likely still be perfectly fine. I bet that if this were the case people would be complaining about not getting new features through software updates.

"Tesla continues to get software updates that make their car feel new again."

I think this is a bit (a lot) overstated. I have yet to have an update that makes my car feel "new". You get a change in the UI, but other than that, most updates are under the hood and invisible to the user, unless there is a diminishment of your features, in which case it makes your car feel "new"--as in, some other car.

This is what Tesla is hoping for but in reality it's the best way to look at it. This is why I'm doing the same thing. I'm new to Tesla ownership but I have found out very quickly that service is terrible! Competition is coming so service will have to change. In the meantime I'll do what I need to do to enjoy my Tesla. I have a choice, stick to my principle making me upset as well as not being able to enjoy my MS or "rip off the bandaid" to the tune of $1500, get past the initial pain, so that I can enjoy my wonderful car.

This upgrade is worth it even if there wasn't any problems with the MCU. I read comments all the time about how much people love the fact that their old Tesla continues to get software updates that make their car feel new again. Well expanding features through software eventually requires updated hardware. WOW, we can upgrade the needed hardware for only $1500! My iMac cost twice that much! Why did I upgrade to a new iMac? Because it can handle the new software much better than my old iMac along with introducing new features. You can complain that you don't need this feature or that feature but do you really want to go back to the original software that your Tesla came with? If you never got an update your MCU would most likely still be perfectly fine. I bet that if this were the case people would be complaining about not getting new features through software updates.
I think this is somewhat of a toxic mindset. Sure the car gets updates and thats one of the joys of ownership... but the updates that it gives are so small and insignificant at face value that it just doesn't make sense for the system in it's entirety to be slowed down. And we're not even talking about just slow, I am talking about daily MCU crashes, frequently non-responsive frozen touch screen, etc.

There is a certain level of expectation that when you purchase a car failures will occur but they can always be reasonably repaired. In this case the car manufacturer is actively making the car less functional. To increase upgrade sales? Who knows. Look at Apple slowing down their OS for older iPhones. That resulted in a lawsuit and Apple lost. I understand your iMac analogy but you push the limits with the latest and greatest requiring a new system. I am not asking for the latest and greatest (netflix, etc) I have a Windows Server 2008 that I continue to update and it runs like a champ just as it was intended to do. Worthy of note my MCU1 car is 3 years old.

I am not against paying $1500 for Netflix, Carioke, games, etc... but what I am fundamentally against is paying $1500 due to Tesla's negligence to provide me with a safe driving experience. My FSD AP will make lane changes without giving me any auditory cues - I frequently find out a lane change is happening after the car is half way over the line. Imagine how deadly it could be if someone less responsible then myself fell asleep at the wheel or was distracted or was driving full speed into a stationary object and there were no auditory notifications to alert the driver. I hate saying this but maybe the only way this will ever get fixed is when someone loses their life due to an MCU1.

Last edited:
I think this is somewhat of a toxic mindset. Sure the car gets updates and thats one of the joys of ownership... but the updates that it gives are so small and insignificant at face value that it just doesn't make sense for the system in it's entirety to be slowed down. And we're not even talking about just slow, I am talking about daily MCU crashes, frequently non-responsive frozen touch screen, etc.

There is a certain level of expectation that when you purchase a car failures will occur but they can always be reasonably repaired. In this case the car manufacturer is actively making the car less functional. To increase upgrade sales? Who knows. Look at Apple slowing down their OS for older iPhones. That resulted in a lawsuit and Apple lost.

I am not against paying $1500 for Netflix, Carioke, games, etc... but what I am fundamentally against is paying $1500 due to Tesla's negligence to provide me with a safe driving experience. My FSD AP will make lane changes without giving me any auditory cues - I frequently find out a lane change is happening after the car is half way over the line. Imagine how deadly it could be if someone less responsible as myself fell asleep at the wheel or was distracted or was driving full speed into a stationary object and there were no auditory notifications to alert the driver. I hate saying this but maybe the only way this will ever get fixed is when someone loses their life due to an MCU1.

The experience has gotten worse each year since I got my 2017 S new. It was highlighted by a trip I took this past summer to Rhode Island. I live in Delaware. I believe it was roughly a 4 hour drive.

1. I tried to set the navigation the day before, it tried for 10 minutes then crashed. I tried again, didn't work.

2. The morning of the trip I tried again but it would just crash. So I set the navigation again and pulled up sketchpad, turned off all audio, and drove while it worked in the background to cacluate the route. Eventually the nav worked on my IC cluster so I knew a route was found.

3. I canceled the sketchpad and drove normally, Tried listening to spotify but it crashed twice within an hour.

4. Now I set the nav, pulled up sketch pad, then used spotify from that screen, while nav remained on my IC cluster. This helped, but it still crashed a couple times on the way. Eventually I turned off spotify and we switched to FM because it was becoming too unstable and slow when I needed it driving on highways and roads I wasn't familiar with.

The drive back, I had a general idea of what stops I would need to charge so I didn't bother using the nav and used waze on my phone so we could listen to podcasts and spotify on the MCU. This was this past summer. When I got the car in 2017, it was never this bad.

Reactions: plumazul
Like I said, I'm new to Tesla and I'm going off of what I've heard people say. From my perspective it still is a good buy. Maybe in time I'll sound like I've soured on Tesla but for now it's still new to me and I'm enjoying it. Real competition isn't far off so hopefully that will force Tesla to start addressing customer service which in just a few short weeks I've seen is horrible.

yes. The V8 UI that came with my car was far, far, far superior to what I have now.

I've been driving the same "test course" near my home since I bought the my S. I run it after every update. The software I had in the summer of 2018 was the best. I could run the entire distance without autopilot disengaging. The current version will try to "center" itself where it thinks the lanes widen (they don't, it's just an approaching intersection) and then panics and often disengages when it suddenly runs out of space. In one spot the car pulls over to the right and stops behind parked cars. All of this happens with clearly marked center double yellow lines! Yes, I wouldn't mind having my old software back.