Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone provide the source of the $250 discount on MCU2?

I hear chatter about it but it doesn't appear confirmed. Is this just someones desire that somehow spread into an expectation? Or is this a real thing?
Speculation at this point, no confirmation yet. Apparently a Tesla service center employee divulged this information after receiving a service bulletin, but there is absolutely no confirmation about this yet.

Reactions: studioloft
Speculation at this point, no confirmation yet. Apparently a Tesla service center employee divulged this information after receiving a service bulletin, but there is absolutely no confirmation about this yet.

This. To his credit he posted about the recall before it was official and has a good track record. I imagine they won't advertise the discount, it will be offered when they contact you for the recall

Reactions: FlatSix911
If my MCU1 along with its memory was replaced, will the recall apply to my refurbished unit? Seems as if it should, given that mine still has the same size and type of memory....But the email text makes it sound as if all they plan for repaired units is a reimbursement.

I've been waiting this out hoping for this recall. Mine still works, only very rarely has went black screen, but everything has slowed and the browser has not worked for probably 4 years. The biggest issue I have is the screen itself. What started as bubbles has now taken over all sides of the screen. I assume the recall will not address this, but do you think we will get a deal for a new screen at the same time they swap out the board?

Can someone provide the source of the $250 discount on MCU2?

I hear chatter about it but it doesn't appear confirmed. Is this just someones desire that somehow spread into an expectation? Or is this a real thing?

I'm taking mine in Thursday. I'll ask about it then. But I really haven't found any concrete evidence of this and if someone did get it then I suspect it was one of those things that were left to the discretion of that service center.

IMG_1812.jpg

Here is my car this morning. Center display would not reset.

I had a "Replace MCU Touchscreen Panel" done 9/2019 due to the glue leakage issue-- would this replace this faulty chip or does mine still need to be recalled?

Most likely they just replaced the screen. But even if they replaced the whole MCU they were still using the 8GB eMMC back then. So you will want to go in for the recall to get the 64GB eMMC chip at some point.

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
When they perform this recall, do they replace:
1. The entire touchscreen?
2. Just the eMMC chip that is imbedded somewhere behind the touchscreen?

I ask because I have the other issue that breaks the screen right after the warranty expires, where the seal breaks and the sealant oozes down the screen. Want to know if the recall will resolve both issues or not.
Thanks.

Which version of the MCU are they going to install in place of MCU1? Don't tell me they're clearing out old inventory of MCU1 units by installing them as replacements.
Note they updated the warranty adjustment program page to reflect the recall. Basically it's just replacing the MCU1 daughterboard with 8GB eMMC with one that has 64GB eMMC. There is no other change. Again, as I pointed out up thread, not sure why everyone expected MCU2 (I laid out reasons why there is no way Tesla would opt for that).
8GB eMMC Recall Frequently Asked Questions

There are lots of FAQs that it answered (for example what kind of reimbursement you may expect if you did previous repairs related to this, including when it cost more money than the warranty adjustment).

• Informative
Reactions: David29
"Voluntary" simply means they did it without NHTSA ordering them to (what would happen if they fought the request).

I suspect that Tesla would have won had they fought it, but they determined that it was less expensive to upgrade their "warranty adjustment program" to a voluntary recall than to fight it. (Since it was already so close to a recall.)