Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. In the same way that I don't have partial ownership of the tools at the Service Center despite the fact that my payments there offset a portion of their cost... ;)
Oh no, that opens the door to partial re-imbursement for tools. They will say, $200 tool, good for 100 MCU's at least, here is $2.;)

I'm in the same boat, I prefer they use the then current MCU repair price, or pay me per hour at their shop rate for all the hours I spent recovering the dang thing because they wouldn't make the images and tools available.

Reactions: scaesare
I would check if it was free (the estimate should come back with a number before taking it in), but I wouldn't try to be too pushy in order to not spook the SC to changing their minds to perhaps going back and changing it to only the eMMC swap. I believe someone up thread got a free MCU2 also (before this whole recall) but he had been to the service center so many times, probably they just did it to get him off their backs.
That was me. See post #405 in this tread where I elaborated a little bit more.

In short I have made 5 trips to my SC related to MCU failures. The latest visit was after the eMMC advisory and before the recall was announced. I eventually created a new service appointment for an MCU2 upgrade expecting to pay for it but to my surprise received a $0 estimate. There are a few key items to my situation:
  • 5 visits and no repairs made - legal grounds for lemon law or small claims court. I made sure my SC was aware.
  • I frequently mentioned in writing that I feel I can not "maintain a reasonable expectation of safety while driving my car"
  • I directly asked my SC manager "yes or no, do you believe autopilot making maneuvers without auditory notifications to the driver is a valid safety concern?"
  • I said "my legal council has requested you provide me with all invoices from all service visits"
In their eyes I was lined up to pursue them legally and absolutely had the grounds to do so. Keep in mind this is before the recall announcement.

My appointment is for this Monday. I have approved the $0 estimate in the app but lets see if that holds when I pick the car up.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
That was me. See post #405 in this tread where I elaborated a little bit more.
In short I have made 5 trips to my SC related to MCU failures. The latest visit was after the eMMC advisory and before the recall was announced. I eventually created a new service appointment for an MCU2 upgrade expecting to pay for it but to my surprise received a $0 estimate. There are a few key items to my situation:
  • 5 visits and no repairs made - legal grounds for lemon law or small claims court. I made sure my SC was aware.
  • I frequently mentioned in writing that I feel I can not "maintain a reasonable expectation of safety while driving my car"
  • I directly asked my SC manager "yes or no, do you believe autopilot making maneuvers without auditory notifications to the driver is a valid safety concern?"
  • I said "my legal council has requested you provide me with all invoices from all service visits"
In their eyes I was lined up to pursue them legally and absolutely had the grounds to do so. Keep in mind this is before the recall announcement. My appointment is for this Monday. I have approved the $0 estimate in the app but lets see if that holds when I pick the car up.

Congratulations... it is a shame that Tesla has to be persuaded to do the right thing. Keep us posted on the outcome next week.

Good luck... disabling live traffic does not help MCU1 performance.
It used to when they had a traffic polling bug (some developer confused seconds and milliseconds and QA driving MCU2's didn't catch it, as MCU2 has some spare processing power at that time). That bug has long been fixed, now the slowness just comes from the fact that the software was built on towers of abstraction tested on MCU2. I am curious if MCU3 brings even more processing power to the table, if so, MCU2 owners will start seeing MCU2 start slowing down even more, as the new generation of Tesla infotainment utilizes the new found resources for cool 3D background animations, akin to MCU2 drawing the map in the background, even if it is all covered up except for tiny slivers around the foreground apps. All those people doing the upgrade to MCU2 will be screaming for MCU3 upgrade by v13.

...I am curious if MCU3 brings even more processing power to the table, if ...as the new generation of Tesla infotainment utilizes the new found resources for cool 3D background animations, akin to MCU2 drawing the map in the background, even if it is all covered up except for tiny slivers around the foreground apps. All those people doing the upgrade to MCU2 will be screaming for MCU3 upgrade by v13.
Sounds like you already heard the Reddit rumors that the CPU might not change, just the distributed graphics processing (GPU) addition.

I am kind of surprised there isn’t a new automotive certified Intel Atom CPU as we are in the normal cycle for Intel to have updated that part. And surprised no mention in the update announcement about 5G, since Elon has spoken about 5G already publicly.

I wonder if the autopilot hardware is liquid cooled and in the same module like it is for the 3/Y? If so they. Old have one shared “back” part even though the new screen is bigger than the current 3/Y.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Ok so someone might get a free upgrade. But for those who have to pay for the upgrade. Any words on the actual pricing? If it's free, I'm doing it. If it's $1500 WITH FM radio, I'll do the upgrade without thinking. If it's $2000 WITH the FM radio, I'll have to think about it. If it's anymore than $2000 WITH the FM radio, I'm out. Yes I do use my FM radio heavily so I would like it to migrate over. I have the MCU1 a 2016 90D and the screen is yellowing and leaking. But those issues I can overlook as I don't really use the screen for other than navigation which currently is fine.

Ok so someone might get a free upgrade. But for those who have to pay for the upgrade. Any words on the actual pricing? If it's free, I'm doing it. If it's $1500 WITH FM radio, I'll do the upgrade without thinking. If it's $2000 WITH the FM radio, I'll have to think about it. If it's anymore than $2000 WITH the FM radio, I'm out. Yes I do use my FM radio heavily so I would like it to migrate over. I have the MCU1 a 2016 90D and the screen is yellowing and leaking. But those issues I can overlook as I don't really use the screen for other than navigation which currently is fine.

$1500 without FM. Not confirmed yet, but if you wait until they contact you about the recall they plan to offer it for $1250

Tesla's notice mentions reimbursement but does that mean reimbursement only for money paid to Tesla for this repair?

What happens for people who pulled the MCU themselves and paid a third party to clone their eMMC chip to a larger one? I wouldn't mind getting my $$$ back for that.

Reactions: johnr
I wonder if all the people buying Teslas today know that with the MCU2's and MCU3's they are buying it is "infeasible" to make the last the entire useful life of the vehicle- because the tech has not changed. Also, for those people "upgrading" to MCU2 just be aware it won't last either.

Again, so much for Teslas having lower cost of ownership- I wonder what other parts they didn't tell us were infeasible to make last the life of the car.

That seems a little pessimistic.
Oh, so now I have to decide whether to keep my scheduled update for next week or wait for them to call me and save $200? Tesla makes decisions so difficult. Where did you hear this information?

I just dropped off my car at the sc for this upgrade. I asked them about this discount and they don't know anything about it.

• Informative
Tesla's notice mentions reimbursement but does that mean reimbursement only for money paid to Tesla for this repair?

What happens for people who pulled the MCU themselves and paid a third party to clone their eMMC chip to a larger one? I wouldn't mind getting my $$$ back for that.
Personally I would not be optimistic for the latter point, but at the current moment, no one here would be able to give you anything but a guess, as the same notice says they won't announce reimbursement details until end of March.

I received the same email, oddly my 75D 2016.5 Model S shows "No recalls" when I enter my VIN at either Tesla or the NHTSA website. Also, if they had long ago offered the software improvements in 2020.48.12.1 that ensures turn signals , back up camera and climate controls work as they now claim, they probably would never have been pressured to the NHTSA to do a recall.
Same here...