Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NHTSA didn't even suggest what the recall should entail. So Tesla could just make the current software update a recall, mail a bunch of notices to install the software and call it done. NHTSA might not be happy about that, and may push for more. Which could be a software update that implements a better fail-safe mode, or could be the Tegra daughterboard replacement.

The NHTSA noted that the software fix Tesla supplied is insufficient to address the issue therefore there is no way Tesla can push an OTA and call it done. No amount of software tinkering is going to fix a dead hardware chip.

It would be in Tesla's best interest to offer the daughterboard replacement as the recall and also a discounted MCU2 upgrade option to try to get as much of their fleet on MCU2 as possible.

The NHTSA noted that the software fix Tesla supplied is insufficient to address the issue therefore there is no way Tesla can push an OTA and call it done. No amount of software tinkering is going to fix a dead hardware chip.

It would be in Tesla's best interest to offer the daughterboard replacement as the recall and also a discounted MCU2 upgrade option to try to get as much of their fleet on MCU2 as possible.

I don’t see a lot of likelihood in the discounted MCU2 option. In fact, I think the rollout of the MCU2 upgrade was designed precisely to reduce the number of MCU1 boards they’d have to replace on the house. They’ve known this was coming for quite awhile now.

The only possible thing they gain by discounting MCU2 upgrades is opening them up to criticism and refund demands from the thousands of people that have already paid full price for the infotainment upgrade. They don’t give two squirts about getting as much of the fleet as possible on MCU2.

Battery gate next?
Highly unlikely, seems like the main reason NHTSA asked Tesla for a recall was because you lose the back up camera which is federally mandated.
As @aerodyne said, it would be great if Tesla was also asked to replace control arms. That’s a more serious safety issue than losing the back up camera feature imo.

Highly unlikely, seems like the main reason NHTSA asked Tesla for a recall was because you lose the back up camera which is federally mandated.
Right, the fact it disables the federally mandated backup camera means there is no way Tesla can get around claiming it's not a safety issue. The other thing mentioned in the document is the loss of HVAC (if HVAC was off previously) which meant no defog/defrost, another safety issue. It also mentioned the effect on autopilot and the turn signal chime.

at first I was excited, then I read the report and saw that Tesla can explain why they don't need to do a recall. Here's how this goes.

Tesla will just say they extended the warranty and now when the MCU dies you get permanent backup cam and HVAC set to auto........

Would to the camera be on top like V8?

Might be OK with that.

• Funny
Reactions: markb1 and MP3Mike
at first I was excited, then I read the report and saw that Tesla can explain why they don't need to do a recall. Here's how this goes.

Tesla will just say they extended the warranty and now when the MCU dies you get permanent backup cam and HVAC set to auto........
While the HVAC is easy to implement, I don't think the backup cam would be any less expensive to implement than simply just swapping out the daughterboards (or taking back old units and refurbing them then introducing them back as replacements). That still leaves addressing the effect on Autopilot and the turn signal chimes.

Right, the fact it disables the federally mandated backup camera means there is no way Tesla can get around claiming it's not a safety issue. The other thing mentioned in the document is the loss of HVAC (if HVAC was off previously) which meant no defog/defrost, another safety issue. It also mentioned the effect on autopilot and the turn signal chime.

For all of which it is possible that Tesla could come up with a software version that would resolve them. (At least for ones where the eMMC hasn't failed yet.)

But it just seems like a full replacement isn't that much further/more costly than the current "warranty adjustment program".

For all of which it is possible that Tesla could come up with a software version that would resolve them. (At least for ones where the eMMC hasn't failed yet.)
I think from the document the NHTSA said a software fix was not an acceptable remedy given the low capacity eMMC is bound to die regardless of what software they implement. I don't see how a software fix to enable backup camera would be possible in the case of a dead eMMC.
But it just seems like a full replacement isn't that much further/more costly than the current "warranty adjustment program".
That's the way I see it also. They can do some janky fix, but I'm not seeing one that would require zero new hardware, since besides from backup camera, they also have to make sure autopilot still works and the turn signal (and any other related chimes) still work. Might as well just fix it properly.

when the MCU dies the screen now just shows the backup camera. that is teslas way out of a recall.
I don't think that is possible in a way that would cost Tesla much less than just replacing the eMMC (plus that leaves the issue of autopilot and turn signal chimes, which NHTSA said has to be addressed also).

Of course, it would be best for them IMO to admit fault and offer daughterboard replacements or MCU2 discounted for all
Discounted MCU2 is not a valid way to address a recall. Has to be free to owners. So I doubt they will offer that at all, as that will anger those that already upgraded (then they would have to go through the whole ordeal of refunds).

Tesla has the choice to do the recall as requested, or they have until January 27th to respond as to why they don't have to perform a recall.

Here is the complete letter from NHTSA: MCU Recall Request INRM-EA20003-11321.pdf

"ODI tentatively concludes that the subject MY 2012-2018 Tesla Model S and MY 2016-2018 Model X vehicles contain a defect related to motor vehicle safety. The failure rate in this investigation is significantly greater than the failure rate for vehicles involved in prior recalls involving similar behavior. ODI’s analysis of the data demonstrates that the number of failures of the media control unit (MCU) will steadily increase over time until all parts in the subject vehicles have failed."

"If Tesla decides not to conduct the requested recall, it must provide ODI with a full explanation of its decision, including any additional analysis of the problem beyond Tesla’s past presentations. If not satisfied after consideration of this information, the Agency may proceed to publish in the Federal Register an Initial Decision that these vehicles contain a safety-related defect, describing the alleged safety defects, the safety consequences of these defects, the ODI investigation, and the scheduling of a public meeting pursuant to 49 U.S.C. § 30118, and may take other appropriate action."

Last edited: