Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As this has been debated years I remember that some members claimed that NTHSA will not issue a recall because mcu is not a safety problem :rolleyes:
But the MCU controls chimes (turn signals, autopilot lane change notifications, etc), the rear backup camera and windshield defroster. One could certainly argue that if autopilot makes a lane change without notifying the user to be alert that autopilot could cause a crash that the user could have otherwise intervened in and prevented injury.

My MCU crashes 2-3 times per week. Sometimes it reboots itself, sometimes I don't even realize until I look at the map and see that it is frozen. The autopilot computer is separate from the MCU but when the MCU crashes or freezes my car changes lanes without notifying me. I have videos of this. This applies to all auditory notifications. Any users who have FSD I am sure have needed to intervene at one point or another due to a poor decision made by autopilot.

Last edited:
I still have my Feb 2013 Model S60. My goal has been to see if "cost of ownership" is truly less. At an average of $2000 a year in repairs (so far) it is not. I admit getting an early car off the line back then will have more repairs since we were basically guinea pigs. I had my first MCU1 replaced weeks after the time ran out on my warranty. Now the one they put in back then is failing. It reboots itself almost every other week. I had them look into it and they said it will need to be replaced. When Tesla first came out with the replacement or pay back announcement, I figured I'd wait until they reimbursed me for the first MCU replacement.

I just had ANOTHER door handle replaced. While I was waiting on that I asked about my current MCU and if that fell under this current issue. I was told that my MCU is rebooting itself for a different reason. It is not the eMMC. In that case I can see this recall stuff going on and on because there are more reasons than memory failure. They are not going to do anything with my current MCU that is failing. I have a feeling they are not even going to reimburse me for my old MCU failure because, amazingly, it probably failed for a different reason too.

Currently I have put about $14000 in repairs over 7 years.. That is not a lower cost of ownership even for luxury cars from my experience. That cost is not including regular service which I do only every other year. Now it looks like I will have to buy an upgraded MCU for this year.

While it might sound like I am complaining, I am not. Like I said. I expected a first run car off the assembly line to have extra issues. It does sound like they have worked a lot of problems out over the years. Like I haven't heard about the newer cars having the AC condenser short out (there was a sudden rash of those within the same few months for the older cars) or the DC to DC converter going out. Are chargers still failing regularly? The newer door handles seem to hold up better and they are a lot cheaper to repair (rather than replace). I would be perfectly happy getting reimbursed for the first MCU I replaced on my dime and then I would purchase the upgraded MCU since I'd like a better one anyway. I hate to say anything but so far my battery has been holding up well. (knocks on wood) It still, last time I fully charged it, was getting 205 miles. Not bad for 7 years.

IMO Tesla SHOULD be replacing or reimbursing everyone that has/had an MCU1. I had a tablet and still have a phone (altho I stopped using it last year) that were still going and they were older than any of the MCUs I have owned. My cellphones are tortured much more than my MCU. I've left my cellphone in a hot car often too so that's not it. For the people that opted for the upgraded MCU2 when their MCU1 failed, Tesla should offer something since the MCU1 did fail. For those that upgraded before any failure.... well you chose to upgrade just like I want to upgrade now but I would hope Tesla would offer something out of good will. They know the MCU1 was going to fail some day anyway.

Was it really over 7 years, or have you paid $14k in the last 3 years? (Assuming the first 4 years were under warranty unless you drove a lot and ended the warranty earlier because of mileage, but even that wouldn't have happened in the first year.)
Actually you are right. These are all costs that added up starting a few weeks after the 4 year warranty ended. So technically a lot higher per year average. Almost everything has been replaced on my car. It is 14K in 3 years.

Tesla doesn’t owe you a good experience. Just a functional MCU that can control the safety features of the car. A new daughterboard clearly accomplished this.

Never gonna happen.

All MCU2s have a bigger chip and are completely out of scope.

You can request a check right now for the MCU1 replacement under the warranty adjustment program. No need to wait.

Edit: @MP3Mike brought to my attention that the details of how to request a reimbursement are coming next month per the message they sent announcing the program.

Disagree. I’m no stink constantly expecting Tesla to keep my car perfectly new. Without MCU2 in future firmware upgrades it will get to the far end of a poor experience and into poor usability with possible safety issues. Even after my HW3 upgrade definitely noticed a detriment to response time. The new daughter board definitely made a small difference but it is only time.

But agree that is very unlikely Tesla opts to offer a cheaper upgrade path. I don’t mind paying for it, it’s a decent price for making you our car feel new. So if Tesla doesn’t offer any discount, will definitely pay for this upgrade.

In the letter to Tesla, the NHTSA estimates that the MCU failure takes an average of only 5-6 years. I bought a used Model S from Tesla (so still under warranty) and my MCU failed after 4.6 years and 36k total miles. It was replaced under warranty (with a refurbed MCU1) but since the odds of it failing again are 100% according to NHTSA, I'm curious what they are going to do permanently fix this. Tesla has a history of taking the cheap and easy way out and now they are going to have to pay for this behavior.

Mine took 3 years. But this past year has been a progressive downhill ride until the most recent software update “told” the service department to do something.

It's not a matter of Musk, this is squarely in the realm of VP's and accountants. That being said, if the company doesn't choose to advertise, they can not afford to lose positive word of mouth.
Every single action coming out of Tesla comes out of Musk. They won’t change the brand of toilet paper in the employee restrooms without getting approval from Musk.

This is what will keep Tesla from the upper echelon of beloved and respected brands.

Reactions: Missile Toad
Disagree. I’m no stink constantly expecting Tesla to keep my car perfectly new. Without MCU2 in future firmware upgrades it will get to the far end of a poor experience and into poor usability with possible safety issues. Even after my HW3 upgrade definitely noticed a detriment to response time. The new daughter board definitely made a small difference but it is only time.

But agree that is very unlikely Tesla opts to offer a cheaper upgrade path. I don’t mind paying for it, it’s a decent price for making you our car feel new. So if Tesla doesn’t offer any discount, will definitely pay for this upgrade.
Indeed - Tesla doesn’t owe anyone a good experience. They can make the decisions to provide their owners a good experience.

But no one can make them do it.

Maybe a stupid business decision on their behalf - but I am seeing more and more stupid coming out of Fremont these days.

Reactions: Ron Burgundy
In the letter to Tesla, the NHTSA estimates that the MCU failure takes an average of only 5-6 years. I bought a used Model S from Tesla (so still under warranty) and my MCU failed after 4.6 years and 36k total miles. It was replaced under warranty (with a refurbed MCU1) but since the odds of it failing again are 100% according to NHTSA, I'm curious what they are going to do permanently fix this. Tesla has a history of taking the cheap and easy way out and now they are going to have to pay for this behavior.

What sort of boggles my mind is that nobody at Tesla did the math on this. A recall campaign will always cost more in raw dollars for the labor than it will to just design the part right the first time so it doesn't fail. This is why pretty much every other auto manufacturer has a strong Six Sigma style quality process to root out defects that will cause safety issues or get the government's attention (and even with those, they still make mistakes like everyone does, just at a far, far smaller rate--and often the mistake comes from a part supplier that didn't build the part to the spec they asked for).

The cost for them to have A) put a bigger eMMC chip on the board and B) write the software with sane garbage collection routines so they don't fill up limited storage with endless logs, during the design and fabrication process, would have been far less than what they'll have to spend now if this leads to MCU replacements. NVRAM is cheap in relationship to the entire car, and on a car that is in the "luxury" price bracket, is a wholly inconsequential expense for both the buyer and for the manufacturer.

At the end of the day, if Elon wants to embed almost every necessary car function into the MCU, the MCU has to last as long as the car will last. Otherwise someone could die.

@Sudre side question, but do you (or your passengers) close the doors by holding/pushing the handle? Vs pushing on the painted part of the door (or glass).
...door handles.... it is a mix. I do not push on the handle, that's driver side and it lasted the longest. The back passenger side door almost never gets used and it was second to fail. My wifes door (passenger front) was the first to go, maybe she is pushing on the handle altho she says she does not. The back drivers side was the third one to fail and that door too almost never gets used except occasionally by me or rarely by a passenger.

However in general. A door handle should be able to be used as a door handle.

What sort of boggles my mind is that nobody at Tesla did the math on this.

This was designed in 2011. 8GB was pretty large, and Tesla was designing their first car. I can see how it happened. They had no idea how many cars they would sell with it.

This does not excuse how they are dealing with their earlier failures in 2021 however, while being the highest valued car company in the world by many multiples.