Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA compels Tesla to recall FSD feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive been on every version since 10.2 and since they added the aggressive setting, I’ve never seen it roll at more than 1-2mph.
I've only ever seen a rolling stop on YouTube videos. Personal experience has been that the closest I get to a rolling stop is when it waits for <5 seconds at a complete stop before edging slowly through the junction with steering wheel gymnastics. 🤣

Reactions: Darren F
Interesting to see the activation settings for the "rolling stop feature".

The “rolling stop” functionality is designed to allow the vehicle to travel through an all-way-stop intersection without coming to a complete stop when several operating conditions are first met.
The required conditions include:
1. The functionality must be enabled within the FSD Beta Profile settings; and
2. The vehicle must be approaching an all-way stop intersection; and
3. The vehicle must be traveling below 5.6mph; and
4. No relevant moving cars are detected near the intersection; and
5. No relevant pedestrians or bicyclists are detected near the intersection; and
6. There is sufficient visibility for the vehicle while approaching the intersection; and
7. All roads entering the intersection have a speed limit of 30 mph or less.

If all the above conditions are met, only then will the vehicle travel through the all-way-stop intersection at a speed from 0.1 mph up to 5.6 mph without first coming to a complete stop. If any of the above conditions are not met, the functionality will not activate and the vehicle will come to a complete stop.

So, now FSD is recalled. We upgraded the computer and have paid the $99 per month and have a score of 99 but never even had a chance to use it. Now I went to downgrade my subscription and it states I can't :) I have EAP so I still get some neat bells and whistles and will now save $99 per month. My tesla Tech was right, he told me don't even sign up for FSD until they fix the bugs of which he stated "it's a like a Roach Motel right now"
It’s not recalled. They are going to do a software update. They’ve done it before. The NTFSA or whatever it’s called legally has to call it a “recall” they have no other term for it.

Relax.

Reactions: Rusty1
"tesla recalls feature that allows cars to roll through stop signs".

If you want to read that as "Tesla recalls entire FSD software suite", thats up to you.
Of course, ANYTHING Tesla does that even HINTS at some error will be trumpeted in the anti-Tesla press as a tocsin that Teslas is foisting inferior product on an unsuspecting public, we are all gonna die, Elon Musk is <take your pick of the thousands of epithets heaped upon him and upon tesla>, we are all gullible fools for buying Tesla, et cetera, et cetera, ad nauseam.

The only thing I find odd about this is that I know of no state in the US that does not state specifically that at a STOP sign you come to a complete stop. A condition of no forward movement. None. Then you may proceed if the way is clear. Chickens__t cops could and would legally ticket you for a "boulevard stop", or a "California rolling stop". Tesla allowing this in the FSD is IMHO a pretty dumb move.

As one who eschews FSD, however, it has no effect on me, denks Gott. But the Yellow Press and FUDI mongers are gonna have a field day, alas.

Reactions: dramsey
It’s not FUD. It is a recall.

OP just doesn’t understand what that means.
It IS a recall, by NHTSA standards. They, NHTSA, have decreed that this is something that MUST be rectified by the manufacturer, hence a recall is in order, according to their practices.
But,alas, a feast for FUDI mongers.
A simple software update by Tesla standards.

Last edited:
It’s just a update to remove rolling stops from FSD, which the government wants classified as a recall so that the media can sensationalize the story.

I’m on the fences with the entire thing. Yes there needs to be accountability and records but not everything needs to be a recall. It sort of takes away from the importance of recalls. On the other hand I think most rational people can agree that rolling stops is a bad idea that needed to be rectified.

Is there a distinction from states having laws along the line of "shall not drive a vehicle at a speed greater than the speed limit" as this too is a user configurable setting for FSD Beta.
Interesting point... However, comma, on some thought, you can set any cruise control above a speed limit, you can set your speed with the accelerator over the speed limit, you can coast downhill over the speed limit... But now here is some software that you allow to tell your car to violate the law. Hmmm.

Need some Jesuit lawyers in here. It's an interesting concept from a logical standpoint.

Is there a distinction from states having laws along the line of "shall not drive a vehicle at a speed greater than the speed limit" as this too is a user configurable setting for FSD Beta.
I know in TX and some other midwestern states the trooper will actually stop you for driving at the speed limit on certain highways. They won't officially sanction speeding, but they'll ask you why you're going so slow, you're holding up traffic, etc. So there is definitely a gray area of speed limit + 10mph or so where regardless of state you shouldn't get a ticket. Stop signs are more black and white.

Is this a slippery slope? If your FSD is not allowed to do a rolling stop, then what next? What about 5 miles above city speed limit allowance? What about 90 or 80 MPH allowance on freeways that are mostly legal at 65 MPH?
I presume that in the January meetings between Tesla and the NHTSA they discussed all the FSD behaviors. This recall for rolling stop signs on "average" and "assertive" modes may be a tacit agreement that none of the other FSD behaviors are unacceptable.

5) Even for the beta, what one already has on the car will keep working just fine right now- a new OTA update will get pushed that removes the "rolling stop" ability of the aggressive setting is all that will happen going forward on this.
Two modes of FSD had specific mention of allowing rolling stops, Average and Assertive. Many of the press articles are incorrectly saying it was only the Assertive mode.

The wording of the recall implies that Tesla can't issue FSD Beta (while recalled) to any more new customers which explains why nobody new has been given FSD for a while.

Two modes of FSD had specific mention of allowing rolling stops, Average and Assertive. Many of the press articles are incorrectly saying it was only the Assertive mode.

The wording of the recall implies that Tesla can't issue FSD Beta (while recalled) to any more new customers which explains why nobody new has been given FSD for a while.

Appreciate the correction.

FWIW mine (on average) never did one- if anything it always handled intersection turns WAY too slowly- to the point I usually had to manually disengage and do the turn myself if anyone was behind me.

Appreciate the correction.

FWIW mine (on average) never did one- if anything it always handled intersection turns WAY too slowly- to the point I usually had to manually disengage and do the turn myself if anyone was behind me.
Do you think it never rolled for you because all the criteria weren't met? For example if there are cars around that it considers active it won't do the rolling stop? That's what the wording implies, that it needs to be the only active road user at an all-way intersection.

Do you think it never rolled for you because all the criteria weren't met? For example if there are cars around that it considers active it won't do the rolling stop? That's what the wording implies, that it needs to be the only active road user at an all-way intersection.

Nope.

Mine would stop fully even if 0 cars were visible.

Then creep for visibility, despite it being clear in every direction with no cars coming.

Then, usually, eventually go.

Unless it was a T-stop, in which case after some creep it'd prompt me to hit stalk or accelerator to continue due to "high speed cross traffic" despite there being no car in either direction.

Turn behavior at stop signs especially got MUCH worse last couple versions.

• Informative
Reactions: mangrove79
Is this a slippery slope? If your FSD is not allowed to do a rolling stop, then what next? What about 5 miles above city speed limit allowance? What about 90 or 80 MPH allowance on freeways that are mostly legal at 65 MPH?
If you allow the car to drive by itself then you are turning over control and the car will drive based on the rules it is given. Right now AP limits your speed to no more than 5-MPH over the speed limit on side roads (city streets). If you do not like the way the car drives then you should just drive it yourself.

BTW, rolling stops are flat out illegal while speeding is a grey area. In Georgia only State Police can write a ticket for less than 10-MPH over the limit!