Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA crash tests results/videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm... as twinklejet mentions, that would seem odd in that the inertia was quite low, you aren't going to be able to simulate the forces that test the center of gravity with it strapped down like that, you aren't simulating impact, etc...

Not to mention that once the car has been compromised in a crash, you then really can't simulate how it's going to "properly behave" in another test like that...

What was the deal with rotating the car upside down on that rig? Was that just for visual inspection after the crash test?
I believe that is to emulate a rollover following a crash.
That would be really lame. No forces are applied to the car in that roll except for gravity. In reality, the car would be pounded by the road surface on every side for every roll.
My understanding is that it's generally done to check for fuel or other dangerous fluids that might leak out after a crash. IRRC the Volt test had a coolant leak that could cause a short in the battery pack.

My understanding is that it's generally done to check for fuel or other dangerous fluids that might leak out after a crash. IRRC the Volt test had a coolant leak that could cause a short in the battery pack.

Ah that makes sense, thanks Doug.

That view, as well as the other video that had a camera shot under the car, were very handy for seeing how little intrusion in to the battery pack space there was...

IRRC the Volt test had a coolant leak that could cause a short in the battery pack.

I thought the coolant leak wasn't detected until later when it evaporated and left a conductive trace that caused the short weeks later. The testing organization failed to discharge the Volt's battery after the tests and just left it outside. In any event, GM made modifications to prevent that in future.

I wonder if EVs shouldn't be tested with depleted batteries? ICE cars are tested with volatile fluids removed and replaced with inert liquids. I noticed the Model S was tested with a full range charge on the battery.

There was a talk with Martin Eberhard on stage where he was showing images from the Roadster crash testing. He explained the inverted fluid leak test. It passed. Maybe TEG can find it.

Back in the 70's my older brother was in a diagonal crash and his girlfriend broke her nose on the mirror. Having them pop off is probably a good idea. Having them leashed is even better.

Curious to know how her nose could have reached the rear view mirror if she was belted in properly. If you're not wearing a seatbelt, all bets are off since you could fly into just about anything inside of the car. Having it tethered is one solution, but I don't like the idea of it flying about the cabin in a crash.

My only concern (and it's a small one) is how consistently the rear view mirror turns into a projectile. This should be an easy fix (maybe even add electrical tape or wire tie to the connector so it doesn't snap off)

I do like that the vehicle appears to activate the brake lights and some other warning lights which could go a long way into avoiding a secondary crash. Overall it appears this is an incredibly safe car IF you are INSIDE it... Ive seen vehicles that have gone up against the Tesla and it didnt work out so well for the other cars.

Does anyone know when the IIHS will test the Model S? I think it will be interesting to see how it behaves in a moderate overlap frontal test and the small overlap frontal test. From what I could see of the collision between a Model S and a Honda, I have pretty high hopes that Tesla can get good grades in these tests.

Photo from the collision with the Honda
Closeup.JPG

Does anyone know when the IIHS will test the Model S? I think it will be interesting to see how it behaves in a moderate overlap frontal test and the small overlap frontal test. From what I could see of the collision between a Model S and a Honda, I have pretty high hopes that Tesla can get good grades in these tests.

Based on that accident (collision with a 4th Generation Honda Accord), I think the Model S will probably ace the 40% overlap test. I don't know about the new small overlap test though, because that is a far more punishing collision.

What I'm most curious about is the roof crush test. The Tesla has a high curb weight, so it will have to withstand a lot of crush force in order to get IIHS' top rating (I think a rating of "Good" requires something like 4x or more the weight of the car).

I have no idea with IIHS will release its results, but I consider the IIHS test to be a bit more difficult to pass than the NHTSA tests.

What I'm most curious about is the roof crush test. The Tesla has a high curb weight, so it will have to withstand a lot of crush force in order to get IIHS' top rating (I think a rating of "Good" requires something like 4x or more the weight of the car).

I remember some anecdote from Tesla indicating that during their internal crush testing, it broke the machine.

My only concern (and it's a small one) is how consistently the rear view mirror turns into a projectile. This should be an easy fix (maybe even add electrical tape or wire tie to the connector so it doesn't snap off)

Does anyone here have a contact at Tesla that could answer this question? We got a very fast response on the rear seat controversy... I'd like to know if the mirror is a problem or not, because that's really the only minor concern that I have left about the car.