Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA crash tests results/videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, did the Model S do well in the small overlap crash test? I don't believe there is any mention of it in this Tesla article.
I hope it did well so it'll be Top Safety pick + rated. The car has to do decently well on the small overlap test in order to have the "+". It excelled in all other areas.

Also, does anybody know the actual roof crush strength weight?
Since the Tesla ia 4700 pounds with the largest battery pack, it should have 20,000 pound or higher peak forces, 25,000 would be awesome.

Roof strength evaluations: Small cars

NHSTA does not do a small overlap test, that is the IIHS which has not reported on the Model S yet. I am looking forward to their results.
The roof testing machine broke just over 4G. So we don't know what the final limit would be. However, since 4G is what is needed for 5 stars, I don't think Tesla wanted to break another car just to get the specific number.

"The rear crash testing was particularly important, given the optional third row children's seat. For this, Tesla factory installs a double bumper if the third row seat is ordered. This was needed in order to protect against a highway speed impact in the rear with no permanently disabling injury to the third row occupants. The third row is already the safest location in the car for frontal or side injuries."

Now I can point to an actual press release for when people ask me if the third row is safe....double bumper -- protects against highway speed impact. It's amazingly convenient especially when family visits....and safe.

Last edited:
I remember Elon, at TESLIVE, spending a lot of time explaining the remarkable safety of Model S, mentioning that "it's the thing [safety] we're most proud of" and explaining Tesla's unique approach in more detail, clip below (beginning at 24.06):

And, I love the portion of the Press Release -- after it explains how the Model S broke the testing machine during the roof crushing portion of the test -- where it mentions:

This is achieved primarily through a center (B) pillar reinforcement attached via aerospace grade bolts.

Another signal that those who think an "upstart" can't engineer a superior vehicle need to keep in mind that Elon puts rockets into space - which can be far more challenging than putting a car on the road. And, it looks like he's doing things that other car manufacturers haven't even thought of based on his Space X expertise...

Didn't Elon say somewhere (maybe at Teslive?), that if they could change one thing, it would be the use of very expensive aerospace-grade bolts? As one of those 'under-the-skin' changes that wouldn't effect the value prop of the car? I may be imagining that, as I can't find it in a skim of the video. Either way, now they're boasted about in a PR, I imagine they'll be staying :)

Didn't Elon say somewhere (maybe at Teslive?), that if they could change one thing, it would be the use of very expensive aerospace-grade bolts? As one of those 'under-the-skin' changes that wouldn't effect the value prop of the car? I may be imagining that, as I can't find it in a skim of the video. Either way, now they're boasted about in a PR, I imagine they'll be staying :)

Pete,

I think you may be referring to what Elon was saying about the B-pillar (I think it was the B-pillar) at Teslive where he was saying that they still used steel to reinforce them but it could have been done with aluminum which would have kept the weight down while maintaining the same structural rigidity.

I hope I'm remembering this correctly. :)

Pete,

I think you may be referring to what Elon was saying about the B-pillar (I think it was the B-pillar) at Teslive where he was saying that they still used steel to reinforce them but it could have been done with aluminum which would have kept the weight down while maintaining the same structural rigidity.

I hope I'm remembering this correctly. :)
That is how I remember it also.

Yeah, I remember something along these lines, too. It wasn't just the B-pillar steel, Elon did mention something about aerospace-grade bolts. After this press release, if they did go to lower-spec bolts, people would cry foul.

CNN has an article entitled "Tesla: Our crash test score is better than perfect"

I hate how CNN titled that article--intentionally, it appears--to pass the image of Tesla off as being arrogant. Nowhere has Tesla said their score is "better than perfect"...and I'm sure Elon wouldn't agree with that sentiment either.

(BTW, from what I know, the author of that article, Peter Valdes-Dapena, is a pretty fair guy--the title of this article was likely written by some editor looking for a flashy headline).

Maybe slightly off topic, but a related automotible safety issue is the ability to avoid an accident and get out of trouble. Excellent handling, great acceleration, superb braking all contribute to this. As I recall, Porsche has had a high rating for safety (injury/loss of life) attributed to these key features. I wonder if over time these factors will also be attributable to the Model S. FWIW, I know that the immediate throttle (...accelerator) response, the ability to 'surgically' insert my S into traffic, the incredible stablity and 'stick to the road' feeling, the inability to roll the car, and the massive brakes all make me feel more confident. Time will tell.

They want me to buy another one :biggrin:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377033534.262311.jpg

Maybe slightly off topic, but a related automotible safety issue is the ability to avoid an accident and get out of trouble. Excellent handling, great acceleration, superb braking all contribute to this. As I recall, Porsche has had a high rating for safety (injury/loss of life) attributed to these key features. I wonder if over time these factors will also be attributable to the Model S. FWIW, I know that the immediate throttle (...accelerator) response, the ability to 'surgically' insert my S into traffic, the incredible stablity and 'stick to the road' feeling, the inability to roll the car, and the massive brakes all make me feel more confident. Time will tell.

I agree and I appreciate the active safety (anything that helps you avoid an accident i.e. good brakes) more than passive safety (anything that protects you in a crash i.e. airbags), but that the Tesla excels at both is pretty impressive.

All of this makes me think of that Tracy Chapman song "Fast Car":

You got a fast car
But is it fast enough so we can fly away
We gotta make a decision
We leave tonight or live and die this way

Before the crash test results, I thought about the "live & die this way" as the CO2 emissions etc as a society, but crash safety also can apply...

Now, consider The Model S will possibly be the "worst" car Tesla will make as it's "just" a v1.0 of their mass produced car! What will the future hold?

Moving forward, the only thing that we need is the long-term reliability data to complete a triple threat, and this will by definition need more time to tell...so happy to be in this club!

Last edited:
Tesla roof so strong it broke crush test machine

This is... I mean wow.

From the article in today's USA Today: "As crash-test boasts go, Tesla is claiming a good one: The roof of its Model S electric sedan is apparently so strong that it broke a testing machine during independent validation of its government crash-test scores."

Read full article here:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/08/20/tesla-model-s-crash-test/2678557/

Business Week: Tesla's Model S Sedan Destroys Safety Tests ... Literally

http://www.businessweek.com/article...n-destroys-safety-tests-dot-dot-dot-literally

LA Times: Upstart Tesla wins top U.S. safety rating; what will competitors do?

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-tesla-nhtsa-safety-rating-20130820,0,2050024.story

As if we needed a reason to feel better about our decision to purchase this amazing car. :biggrin:

Last edited: