Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA Demands More Noise! (Only from EV&Hybrids)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, final rule making has happened and the ICE manufacturers "support the increased safety" this ridiculous rule will supposedly result in.

Funny thing is, the rule is not about making quiet vehicles audible to pedestrians, just EV,s and Hybrids even though it has been determined that there are ICE vehicles that are quieter under identical circumstances.

"The PSEA requires NHTSA to establish minimum sound levels that EVs/HVs must emit in order to ensure pedestrian safety."

"Robert S. Wall Emerson of Western Michigan University has argued that several high-end gasoline-powered luxury cars are already quieter than hybrids, and according to his most recent studies, hybrid SUVs were noisier than many internal-combustion vehicles. He concludes that pedestrian safety is not a hybrid issue but rather "a quiet car issue."[12]"

Again, if the rules is about quiet vehicles that's fair but singling out is about yet another barrel thrown in front of the transition to sustainable energy and transportation.

Fire Away!

That's a pet peeve of mine as well. I go on morning walks every day. Most cars I hear the tire and wind noise before I hear the engine. A lot of the newer cars I don't hear the engine even as they're passing by me. The rule makers are out of touch with modern vehicles.