Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA Investigates Failing MCUs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you got mcu2 for free?

No. Got a new MCU1 (not reman and it was a new J series). Used that for 2 months then got mcu2 (2500).
The new mcu1 was fast and worked great but the writing is on the wall. Tesla will not support mcu1 cars and the software seems designed for MCU2 and performs increasingly poorly on MCU1 unless you upgrade the emmc to a larger size.

I think the "safety issue" portion of this is a red herring, and not relevant. From everything I have seen the MCU fails before you get in and start driving, not while you are actually driving. So if you decide to drive you are making a conscious decision that you think it is safe enough to drive without those features being available. Also the back-up camera angle likely isn't going to fly since backup cameras weren't required when MCU1 cars were manufactured.

So that leaves other issues like HVAC controls. I have seen many cars, ex. Ford, where the HVAC modules are prone to fail out of warranty and prevent proper HVAC operation. Yet there have been no recalls for them that I have seen.

This is more similar to transmission and radiator issues that other OEMS, ex. Nissan and Mercedes, have had. If I recall correctly Nissan offered an extended warranty of a few years for the particular issue while Mercedes just said too bad, that'll be $4,000+ to fix. Someone filed a class action suit against Mercedes but it was thrown out. ("In dismissing the case, the judge ruled the plaintiff can't prove Mercedes committed fraud simply by showing some vehicles had radiators that eventually had problems.")

I think the difference here is that it appears that there will be a 100% failure rate of the MCU; most often right before, or after, the warranty period ends. (Maybe different for CPO/used cars that came with extended warranties.)

If Tesla has learned from this they will have made changes to make the MCU last longer. For example by reducing logging, which we have confirmation they have done. They could also put a bigger, or higher quality part in, which I have seen rumor of them doing in recent remanufactured MCUs.

I think the most likely outcome is that Tesla offers an extra 4-year warranty on the MCU, a total of 8-years from manufacture. (And hopefully putting better parts in going forward.) I don't expect an actual recall, since this isn't likely an issue that puts you in danger while you are driving. (Not that there should be a recall for everything that can fail putting you in danger while you are driving.)
Mine failed while driving home from work. Yours can be failing and Tesla says everything is okay - until it truly fails... Which took about 1 year for me. Guess what, my replacement MCU has started resetting and it was replaced on 2019.9.7. Occurred once while driving backwards and using the rearview camera... And other time while driving 70mph. Maybe this is why the warranty is now only 2 years.... Tesla might want to lower it to 1 year though...

• Informative
Reactions: croman and Chaserr
Does the NHTSA consider effects in countries besides USA?

In Australia when MCU fails it messes with the speedo. The speed display silently changes to miles/h instead of km/h

This means if you are driving in a 40km/h zone the speed will show as 40 but the car is actually going 65km/h.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Supercharging no longer worked,
Brake lights do NOT work at ALL.
Those are the only posts I have found reporting those two issues, which are pretty serious.

I’ve read through this entire thread. I understand that the cost of a replacement MCU1 unit is about $1,600. Some have stated that an MCU2 unit is $2,500 but others say they have been told that they cannot get an MCU2 installed by Tesla when they requested it as a replacement.

Is it correct that the ESA cost is $3,000? What is the deductible?

My 2017 X is at 46K miles. A recent OTA software update failed and I had to have Support manually push it. Wonder if that is a sign of impending MCU1 failure. Some posts say it could be.

Those are the only posts I have found reporting those two issues, which are pretty serious.

I’ve read through this entire thread. I understand that the cost of a replacement MCU1 unit is about $1,600. Some have stated that an MCU2 unit is $2,500 but others say they have been told that they cannot get an MCU2 installed by Tesla when they requested it as a replacement.

My 2017 X is at 46K miles. A recent OTA software update failed and I had to have Support manually push it. Wonder if that is a sign of impending MCU1 failure. Some posts say it could be.

Deductible is $200.

Last edited:
Too funny...about 5 months ago just a few weeks after my warranty expired the screen started to bubble...service tech says this is typical electronics and just cough up the $1k to replace. I asked what would happen if my MCU failed shortly after and they tried to tell me it’s extremely rare and they only have seen it a few times :mad:.

I figured I would just live with the bubble for 6 months or so in hopes the MCU2 upgrade path would be available. Well here I am and I don’t think I will be given an option to pay for MCU2 just a paid replacement of the 8+ year old MCU1.
Im just glad I can get the MCU2 upgrade. I didn’t expect that to happen.

Would be nice if the EMMC could be fixed for free and it may come to that. But fortunately we have options even if not ideal.
I have a 2013 MS with a dead MCU1 - been waiting for 5 weeks for a replacement! I was told by a Tesla service rep that an MCU2 wasn't compatible with my car???

MCU1 failure is an expensive nuisance to fix, to be sure, but I think it is a stretch to call it a safety issue, even with climate control and window defogging being unavailable.

It is definitely a safety issue. You lose the backup camera and the turn signals don't work. This happened to me (2015 Model S). It was fixed under warranty, but just replaced with a refurbished MCU1 that will probably fail in another 4 years.

Reactions: croman and ohmman

The "support" push of an OTA was one of my signs of MCU failure.
Was just a month or so later.
3rd MCU at 41K miles.
2nd lasted 10K and 4 months - fixed under warranty.
#3 was just for me to surrender $2200.

Submit a NHTSA complaint. We have to get visibility of this under engineering that TESLA will not own up to.

The NHTSA has opened an investigation into the MCU failures:
2013 TESLA MODEL S 5 HB RWD
The investigation is happening because of the safety element - Loss of rear camera.
That is the key to put in your complaint - explained below.

The NHTSA opened the investigation because they have received 11 complaint in the last 13 months.
Well, I gotta believe there are a whole lot more than that, as mine was not registered.

Here is where you go to register your MCU complaint:
File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Enter Your VIN
What part of your car was affected? OTHER
What Happened? Loss of rear view camera
Then fill out the rest of the online form which is self-explanatory.
You will receive a Complaint Number, and can also print out a copy of the report.
You will then receive an email from the NHTSA to confirm your email address.

Here is an press article written about it:
Tesla under investigation for Model S touchscreen failures

The "support" push of an OTA was one of my signs of MCU failure.
Was just a month or so later.
3rd MCU at 41K miles.
2nd lasted 10K and 4 months - fixed under warranty.
#3 was just for me to surrender $2200.

Submit a NHTSA complaint. We have to get visibility of this under engineering that TESLA will not own up to.

The NHTSA has opened an investigation into the MCU failures:
2013 TESLA MODEL S 5 HB RWD
The investigation is happening because of the safety element - Loss of rear camera.
That is the key to put in your complaint - explained below.

The NHTSA opened the investigation because they have received 11 complaint in the last 13 months.
Well, I gotta believe there are a whole lot more than that, as mine was not registered.

Here is where you go to register your MCU complaint:
File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Enter Your VIN
What part of your car was affected? OTHER
What Happened? Loss of rear view camera
Then fill out the rest of the online form which is self-explanatory.
You will receive a Complaint Number, and can also print out a copy of the report.
You will then receive an email from the NHTSA to confirm your email address.

Here is an press article written about it:
Tesla under investigation for Model S touchscreen failures

I think the investigation will take a long time. My only concern is those that are preemptively upgrading to mcu2 because of early signs of mcu1 failure will not receive any compensation should Tesla lose the case. I could very easily see Tesla claim that anyone that upgraded to MCU2 chose to do so on their own and are not eligible to be considered for the recall/compensation

Reactions: Ron Burgundy
An NHSTA safety recall applies to all cars, not just the ones that are still under warranty. Tire recalls must be done within 60 days. All other recalls exist for the life of the car.

What is a Safety Recall? | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Any idea how long these investigations go. I imagine Tesla will try to delay as long as possible and force owners to pay for mcu2 if possible to reduce the number of cars that might need recall work