Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA Investigates Failing MCUs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yikes. Why would you spend 2k and not just spend $2500 and get mcu2 from Tesla. Or spend $500 from tony here to get the chip replaced

We have no idea when the upgrade is coming for 2013 MCU1s. My Tesla MCU1 order has been on backorder with Tesla since June. My touchscreen is degrading by the day. Im at the point of solving the problem before the MCU just dies.

Last edited:
I just got an email from an agent from the Office of Defect. He asked a number of questions I WAS going to copy and paste here but there's a statement at the bottom of the email that makes me think I should. I'm to old and purty to go to jail! OK, full disclosure...I'm not purty...not one bit.

I just got an email from an agent from the Office of Defect. He asked a number of questions I WAS going to copy and paste here but there's a statement at the bottom of the email that makes me think I should. I'm to old and purty to go to jail! OK, full disclosure...I'm not purty...not one bit.

We got the same email. I did preface the email by saying mine hasnty officially died yet but is showing the signs

I also got the email asking for more information, from the Federal Investigator, Office of Defect at dot.gov. I submitted a NHSTA report about a month ago . When you reply about your safety concerns, I encourage everyone to focus on the fact that backup cameras became mandatory in 2018 for pedestrian safety. No MCU = no backup camera, therefore tesla is not ensuring compliance with federal regulations and we're worried about pedestrian safety, especially small children not visible in the rear-view mirror.

Also, AEB is becoming mandatory in 2022 (?), and I *think* you don't get the audible AEB warning when the MCU is dead or resetting. I know turn signals, autopilot chimes, and parking sensor beeps can't be heard.

I also got the email asking for more information, from the Federal Investigator, Office of Defect at dot.gov. I submitted a NHSTA report about a month ago . When you reply about your safety concerns, I encourage everyone to focus on the fact that backup cameras became mandatory in 2018 for pedestrian safety. No MCU = no backup camera, therefore tesla is not ensuring compliance with federal regulations and we're worried about pedestrian safety, especially small children not visible in the rear-view mirror.

Also, AEB is becoming mandatory in 2022 (?), and I *think* you don't get the audible AEB warning when the MCU is dead or resetting. I know turn signals, autopilot chimes, and parking sensor beeps can't be heard.

Those regulations only apply to cars sold after they go into effect. And I don't think there were any new Teslas sold with MCU1 after the backup camera requirement was in force. They don't retro-actively make manufacturers meet new requirements.

Those regulations only apply to cars sold after they go into effect. And I don't think there were any new Teslas sold with MCU1 after the backup camera requirement was in force. They don't retro-actively make manufacturers meet new requirements.
Interesting. But if you provide the safety system - and it fails by the thousands...There is clearly a safety issue that could result in a recall (regardless of a mandated). That's my opinion.

Reactions: croman
I would think they would be required after a certain vintage. Many cities and states will cite you for having 1 out of 3 brake lights out even though there is a hand signal for braking as well.
Hand signals will trump the signal or lights not working......so no ticket will be issued as long as the hand signal is visible to the officer and done correctly