Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA Investigates Failing MCUs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I can’t find the MCU fuse. Here’s my fuse box layout Tesla Model S (2015)- fuse box diagram - Auto Genius

hmm. My 2015 S85D uses this fuse layout

20C0F51C-976C-45C9-B44E-2E3C4493F534.jpeg

F51 is “Center Display”

NHTSA probably already made a difference! EMMC replacement can be done for around $400 now. I payed almost $2400 ten months ago. It is 85% price reduction. I wouldn’t mind to get a refund.
No this is not the replacement of the MCU. This the actual board failing in de MCU. This kind of repair is what tesla should have started out from to begin with. The rest of the unit is fine this board is the weak link. Good that they are addressing the faulty part. If you got your MCU replaced then your whole assembly was replaced so therefore the cost is higher.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I wonder what sort of chip is on the daughter board? If it is the same type and size that's not much of an improvement.
I don't know the answer to this question, and I'm guessing we won't know until someone takes it apart and checks for us. But my understanding is that it should last significantly longer since Tesla has updated firmware to reduce writes. They seemed to be writing indiscriminately to it in the past.

Reactions: StephenM
I don't know the answer to this question, and I'm guessing we won't know until someone takes it apart and checks for us. But my understanding is that it should last significantly longer since Tesla has updated firmware to reduce writes. They seemed to be writing indiscriminately to it in the past.
This post does not sound to positive. :(
Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for $500

It's the Tegra daughterboard, and the total cost is $490 part+labor. Tesla Service confirmed they'll do that if only my daughterboard is bad on my MCU when I bring it in next week. Otherwise they'll replace with a reman MCU for $950+labor.

I also just got a quote for replacing the daughterboard. Same part number but asking $696.30. This is in the SF Bay Area.

I am asking if it is possible to do under warranty since it died the month after its 4th birthday

I also just got a quote for replacing the daughterboard. Same part number but asking $696.30. This is in the SF Bay Area.

I am asking if it is possible to do under warranty since it died the month after its 4th birthday
My estimate is from San Rafael, FYI. And good luck with the warranty claim; mine died 3 months after it's 4th birthday..

I don't trust that the logging changes are enough. My current MCU is two and a half years old. I've stopped streaming. I've stopped traffic. I keep the map zoomed way out so it doesn't have to paint very much and only use nav on road trips. Hoping to keep mine alive until I can make a trip to Orange County to EVfixme for a proper repair. (Hard to make that trip safely in the era of coronavirus.)

Having the MCU die when I live 300 miles from a service center is a PITA (think: long, expensive flatbed tow). Having it die on a road trip would be worse!

Reactions: ohmman
My estimate is from San Rafael, FYI. And good luck with the warranty claim; mine died 3 months after it's 4th birthday..

As you predicted, they were not willing to put it under warranty, but she offered to waive the labor fee, and quoted $410 for the part. I sent her the bill attached to an earlier post showing $120 for the part and, after asking management, she was able to match that for a total of $130.80!