Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA Investigates - Pack Cooling, 2012-2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually NHTSA has not said that they are going to investigate. Just that they are aware of the information that news sites published. (There is no open investigation listed on their site either.)

WK057 has said that he has seen no signs of internal coolant leakage in any of the more than 100 packs he has torn down. (That wasn't caused by physical accident damage.)

So my guess is that this is a nothing-burger. (In that Tesla had a quality consistency problem with a supplier, but they tested all the parts and only used parts that passed in cars.)

From the article:

“This is strange to me. Tesla has no benefit to keeping the part and forcing it to fit on its vehicles.”

There’s a reason I don’t usually read articles from that site, because of dumbass takes like that. Tesla had no benefit in producing the vehicle with the defective part? In 2012 Tesla was in dire need of cash, the company NEEDED to start delivering the model s. Any significant delays could have bankrupted them.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
Well, "The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) confirmed to the Los Angeles Times that they are investigating the issue"... I suspicion it's a Somethingburger. But we'll see.

glide and MP3Mike (who marked Disagree), maybe you can demonstrate another overarching theory why Tesla has taken the radical, damaging, and highly customer-impacting measure of limiting Supercharging on this very era of cars? Make it good.

Reactions: Chaserr and croman
Just like COVID, you think you finally got this batterygate/chargagate scandal threads contained and then they start leaking back out into the forum when people think they are the first ones to read an electrek post.

Well, "The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) confirmed to the Los Angeles Times that they are investigating the issue"... I suspicion it's a Somethingburger. But we'll see.

I must be blind because I can't see that statement in the LA Times article you linked to.

glide and MP3Mike (who marked Disagree), maybe you can demonstrate another overarching theory why Tesla has taken the radical, damaging, and highly customer-impacting measure of limiting Supercharging on this very era of cars? Make it good.

I can't answer that, as I don't have that information, but I'm 99% sure it isn't related to possible coolant leaks, that we have seen no reports of actually happening. Maybe it is like Tesla said that they are doing it to prolong battery life and reduce degradation.

Reactions: AMPd

Hmmm that quote is not in the article you linked.

Yeah, I must be making it up, huh?

Are you all uni dropouts?

Well I tried to find where that quote came from:
  • In the LA times article you linked to: nope.
  • I searched the Internet for it: not found.
  • I checked the NHTSA web site: No list of that investigation.
  • In the Electrek article you linked to: There it is.
And as usual it appears to be bad reporting by Fred. He makes that claim and then quotes the source that actually says: the NHTSA is "well aware of the reports regarding this issue and will take action if appropriate based upon the facts and data." You would think if it was true the LA Times would have said that themselves.

So we will have to watch to find out if Fred is right or if he just misinterpreted what NHTSA said. (Which he seems to misinterpret things fairly frequently.)

• Disagree
Reactions: dark cloud
And as usual it appears to be bad reporting by Fred. He makes that claim and then quotes the source that actually says: the NHTSA is "well aware of the reports regarding this issue and will take action if appropriate based upon the facts and data." You would think if it was true the LA Times would have said that themselves.

Because MP3Mike has always been "disagree happy" with me too, I will give him one back.

The LA Times did say this. Direct from the quote posted above from @rooter :

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in a statement to The Times, said it is “well aware of the reports regarding this issue and will take action if appropriate based upon the facts and data.” The agency also reminded auto manufacturers that they are required “to notify the agency within five days of when the manufacturer becomes aware of a safety related defect and conduct a recall.” Tesla appears to never have issued such notification.

Tesla did not respond to requests for comment."

-Russ Mitchell, writer for LA Times

• Disagree
Reactions: Chaserr and MP3Mike
Because MP3Mike has always been "disagree happy" with me too, I will give him one back.

The LA Times did say this. Direct from the quote posted above from @rooter :

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in a statement to The Times, said it is “well aware of the reports regarding this issue and will take action if appropriate based upon the facts and data.” The agency also reminded auto manufacturers that they are required “to notify the agency within five days of when the manufacturer becomes aware of a safety related defect and conduct a recall.” Tesla appears to never have issued such notification.

Tesla did not respond to requests for comment."

-Russ Mitchell, writer for LA Times

Again, no mention of an investigation.

A NHTSA Investigation is a specific thing. There is a NHTSA Investigation into the nerfing generally, not anything specific on the nerfing.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I can’t recall a single post from owners saying their car leaked coolant from the battery or owners finding their car low on coolant (I check mine, level has never budged).

There have been a few reports of leaking coolant valves in the frunk area.

Unless I’m missing something, it seems it was quietly resolved.

Failure to report to NHTSA is another problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike

So we will have to watch to find out if Fred is right or if he just misinterpreted what NHTSA said. (Which he seems to misinterpret things fairly frequently.)
This is why I largely ignore Electrek articles and blog postings. For every one piece of useful and informative information there's about a hundred fallacies and blatantly made up stories that most people take as fact since they read it on the world wide web.

Did anything ever come of this sugggesting a recall for this coolant part prone to leaks? My car was made one month before 2016, and is leaking coolant from under the front of the car smack dab in the middle of the axle. This car still has low mileage so this hammer controversy seems legit.

C1E48E4A-D3CA-481D-B3CA-169DF054AD8A.jpeg