Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA investigating fatal San Diego crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't find the primary source from the NHTSA on this...
BTW, we all know the driver is responsible. The NHTSA investigates crashes where the driver is responsible because drivers are the cause of the vast majority of collisions. There is no way to significantly improve road safety without reducing the number of collisions where the driver is responsible.

I couldn't tell from the article if any ADAS systems (AP/FSD Beta) were engaged. But you mentioned NHTSA is investigating, so I assume there is potential that there was.
The US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating a fatal crash involving a 2018 Tesla Model 3 that may have had its partially automated driving system activated.
That's why I'm interested in seeing the primary source. The media often leaves stuff out.

Reactions: Dewg
Doesn't look like much of a dip...
Sounds sort of unlikely they were using AP or FSD Beta.
1657230758276.png

NTSB will most likely look into the Tesla that crashed into the back of a semi trailer that was parked at a rest area in Florida a few days ago

Why do you think they'd do that?

The driver was manually driving the car based on the info available to us in the story (the 2015 Tesla made a turn just prior to the crash- something only possible by the actions of the human behind the wheel)

Idiots humans crash into semis and cause deaths all the time.

As I pointed out in the other thread you started about this for some weird reason:

So we are positive the Tesla didn't have autopilot on.

Given autopilot can't make turns-and the story states the car had just specifically made a turn prior to the crash, yes, we are.

Have you never used it before?

Most likely the elderly driver made the turn, then hit the wrong pedal-- the accelerator instead of the brake- then panicked and hit it even harder. Certainly also possible he had a health related incident.

Why didn't the AEB work.

So a few things here--- first- again- this was a 2015- which means the AEB system was based on AP1, designed by Mobileye not Tesla, and not deployed on any new cars since late 2016.

Second- AEB isn't designed to prevent crashes, it's designed to reduce the severity of them-- and the manual (just like the manual of all other brands of cars with AEB) not only specifically tells you that, it lists a bunch of circumstances under which it may be unable to do even that including if you hit the accelerator because the car has to assume the human knows better than it does.

Are you also going to the forums for all the other car brands where I linked you to a similar crash in the other thread you started on this and asking why THEIR AEB didn't prevent it too--- or just this one?

Last edited: