Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA not showing recall as being cleared

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the NHTSA web page for my VIN number for my 2021 MYLR, it lists 1 unresolved recall:

1 Unrepaired Recallsassociated with this VIN​

Feb 01,2022​
Manufacturer Recall Number: TBD​
NHTSA Recall Number: 22V-045​
Recall Status: Recall Incomplete​

The body of the text says:

Software version 2021.43.101.1 and versions 2022.4.5 or later will correct the software error,​

so that isn't what I'm worried about. I have 2022.16.3 so I'm certainly covered.

What I am worried about is if I go to sell my car. A potential buyer would check the VIN's recall status and see the flag in the database.

How can I tell NHTSA to clear that recall flag for my VIN ? Seems like with these recalls that are fixed via software, there isn't a good way. Ordinarily a shop would report a recall as "fixed" in this VIN. But with these software pushes, there isn't a way to do that.

Thanks,

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

My understanding is that the NHTSA site just redirects your query to Tesla servers, so it is Tesla that you need to contact to have them update their records to show that the recall has been completed on your vehicle.

My understanding is that the NHTSA site just redirects your query to Tesla servers, so it is Tesla that you need to contact to have them update their records to show that the recall has been completed on your vehicle.

Here is an example of the NHTSA page that I'm referring to:

Replace the nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn with your 17 digit VIN number. It isn't a Tesla server and the HTML source on the page isn't referencing any other servers. However the back-end might pull from Tesla periodically.

There is a link in the labeled "major light auto automakers" which produces a popup which then allow us to go to the Tesla recall search page:

and that page is indeed displaying the same info as NHTSA including the "update date". In my case, both the NHTSA page and the Tesla page say "Recall data refreshed on Jun 06,2022"

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

Update: NHTSA is still showing an outstanding recall on my VIN:

Feb 01,2022​
Manufacturer Recall NumberTBD​
NHTSA Recall Number22V-045​
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete​

This is the seat belt chime recall and has been fixed in the software for quite awhile. I'm presently on 2022.20.7 and have done numerous updates since the fix was released into software.

So it appears that Tesla doesn't have a solid mechanism to update NHTSA that my "recall" has been "fixed" for my VIN. Likewise, I don't seem to have a way to tell NHTSA myself directly either.

I'll raise the issue the next time I'm at Tesla Service Center. But after 18,000 miles, my 2021 October MYLR hasn't needed any service (I have the tires rotated at my local tire shop). I've only been to my SC once, and that was just to fix a tiny as-delivered paint chip.

When I get to my 1-year point I may go to my SC to have the cabin air filter replaced; just because (my "local" SC is an hour away) and get a new lead-acid battery (since Ohmmu hasn't released their new updated version yet).

Scott

--

Update: NHTSA is still showing an outstanding recall on my VIN:

Feb 01,2022​
Manufacturer Recall NumberTBD​
NHTSA Recall Number22V-045​
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete​

This is the seat belt chime recall and has been fixed in the software for quite awhile. I'm presently on 2022.20.7 and have done numerous updates since the fix was released into software.

So it appears that Tesla doesn't have a solid mechanism to update NHTSA that my "recall" has been "fixed" for my VIN. Likewise, I don't seem to have a way to tell NHTSA myself directly either.

I'll raise the issue the next time I'm at Tesla Service Center. But after 18,000 miles, my 2021 October MYLR hasn't needed any service (I have the tires rotated at my local tire shop). I've only been to my SC once, and that was just to fix a tiny as-delivered paint chip.

When I get to my 1-year point I may go to my SC to have the cabin air filter replaced; just because (my "local" SC is an hour away) and get a new lead-acid battery (since Ohmmu hasn't released their new updated version yet).

Scott

--

Update: I have a Service Ranger coming out on Friday to update my firmware. Apparently, this particular recall needs more than what an other-the-air update can provide.

Scott

--

It has been a week since the Service Ranger came out. The NHTSA database is still showing that I have the "1 unrepaired recall" for the seat belt chime. So it isn't getting updated in the NHTSA database for my VIN even though I have the latest software:

The funny thing is that the software check was automatically added to my recent Service Ranger visit by Tesla servers. He came and went, and the issue hasn't cleared yet.

Not a big deal for me, but you could image it would be a big deal if I sell the car or it is in an accident. Silliness such as, "Hey, you didn't do your recall, so insurance won't pay".

Scott

--