Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA Opened Up the Model S Battery Pack - Pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think I've seen this posted anywhere here, but if you dig through the report documentation from the NHTSA crash testing of the Model S after the pole side-impact test they opened up the traction pack for examination and included photos in the report. These are the first I've seen of a wide open Model S battery pack. Note the minor denting on the driver's side middle of the pack from the impact with the pole.

v08309R002_Page_31.jpg

v08309R002_Page_32.jpg

Untitled.png

• Informative
Reactions: jthompson
If you compare the first picture (figure 13) with the other 2 (figures 15*), there are two blocks of the ones that yobigd20 was counting.

Also, I count 32-33.

So figuring that...
2*32*14*7 = 6272

Still substantially below the 7000+ cells we've been told and have calculated are needed to build an 85kWh pack. Even if we use 33 cells per row that gives us 6468.
If that number is correct then Tesla would need to use a 3.65 ah cell to get 85kWh, assuming a 3.6 nominal voltage.

Last edited:
Still substantially below the 7000+ cells we've been told and have calculated are needed to build an 85kWh pack. Even if we use 33 cells per row that gives us 6468.
If that number is correct then Tesla would need to use a 3.65 ah cell to get 85kWh, assuming a 3.6 nominal voltage.

Looking through the NHTSA documents, one of the photos shows the car is a 60kWh. Does the smaller MS ESS have less 18650s ? Did they keep overall vehicle weight and dynamics the same using ballast of some sort ?

No pictures of the taller front "nose" of the pack. I've seen various claims about that portion of the pack: 2 more battery sheets stacked atop each other, a reservoir for the battery coolant, or the active electronics module for the pack.

They indeed mention 14 battery sections "sheets" within the pack, and that it's a 60KWh pack... so I wonder if they missed 2 up front, or if that's correct.

I've never thought that was correct.
The information I have so far shows evidence of 16 modules for the 85kWh and likely 14 modules for the 60kWh.

We know from the diagnosis screen that the 85kWh pack has 16 modules with 6 groups in series (so 96 groups in series):
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAATUE/Ngjz-jlZMYc/w702-h498-no/IMG_0876.JPG

We know the pack is structured with 14 modules in the flat section and 2 modules stacked in the front where the coolant connectors are:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/16535-Battery-facts?p=333846&viewfull=1#post333846

Charging voltage shows evidence of there being 14 modules (or equivalent) in the 60kWh pack:
60kWh 352V (14 modules in series *6 series group per module*4.19V)
85kWh 402V (16 modules in series *6 series group per module*4.19V)
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-and-P85/page3?p=445256&viewfull=1#post445256

The NHTSA test data (page 6) seems to match this for the 60kWh pack:
Minimum Operating Voltage 210
Maximum Operating Voltage 350

The propulsion battery encompasses fourteen (14) battery modules, each of which
consists of six (6) cells

We had a previous guess of 7104 cells for the 85kWh (16*6*74), 14 modules for 60kWh means 6216 cells (14*6*74).

Of course, the capacity math (85 vs 60) does not really work out using 16 and 14 modules, so that's the weird bit (maybe different capacity cells)

Last edited:
At the original Tesla Factory opening an engineer told me there were batteries in the upper section "because they had room".

Later JB said they could make a 500 mile car but they had to stop somewhere. I assume weight diminishing returns on that.

stopcrazypp-

Yeah, that's the graphic I remember and the discussion of the two additional sheets in the pack "nose".

i wonder if that space is simply empty in the 60KWh pack then... probably so.

- - - Updated - - -

Later JB said they could make a 500 mile car but they had to stop somewhere. I assume weight diminishing returns on that.

Yeah.. that and cost.