Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA Rating results in for the RWD Model 3: 5 stars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5 star in every category. BMW, Mercedes, and Audi can't claim that!

I thought to myself, impossible in 2018, even the 2018 Accord is 5 star in every category! But you're right, the 2018 3 series, A4, and C are all missing a star in at least one category. It's good to see that at least one luxury automaker cares about safety and not just fancy interiors and random bells and whistles.

Reactions: lukex4
This was obviously faked!

Everybody knows Teslas go up in a ball of flames when they hit something over 5 mph.
You joke but thanks to lazy reporting and FUD I've had a couple folks ask me if I was worried about that. Dude, you drive a vehicle with a giant bucket of gasoline in it that burns to drive!

Ironically, the paint job on the test vehicles were immaculate straight out of the factory.

Obviously, the vehicles used for testing cannot have imperfections, in order to be representative. (Cue the hater's jokes. LOL.)

But are the vehicles chosen randomly by the regulator?

In principle, each vehicle used for crash testing could have a significant cosmetic issue, e.g. paint job problem.

All the IIHS crash test videos I've seen do not look repairable o_O
I wish they would do a rear end crash test to refute all the "My Model 3 was rear ended at 40+mph and took almost no damage" posts.
If they did record the rear crash test, they probably used the same machine as the side impact one. The metallic machine is very different from the impact of a car which has a plastic front.
I have seen impacts at 40+mph where the car in front only got scratched while the car that impacted got the front destroyed, and none of them were Tesla. Also take in mind that the difference in velocity between the two vehicles is always less than 40mph in those examples unless the car in front is completely stopped.

model3-crash-rating.png

Elon Musk on Twitter

Reactions: Polly Wog