Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA ratings on X: Where are they?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tinm

2020 Model S LR+ Owner
May 3, 2015
New Mexico, USA
Where are the official NHTSA safety ratings on the Model X? We all remember the 5-star success story of the Model S which Elon touted (and rightfully so) a few years back. The Model X has been out now for a while but I still cannot find any crash test results or official safety ratings on the car. What's up with that?

Try searching here... nothing:
Ratings

Elon said its expected to get a 5-star (maybe even better, but reported as 5 as that's the scale) based on internal testing. I guess volume of X's sold so far might be why its not done yet.

I'd love to believe that but the NHTSA rating came out for the Model S around August 2013 when the VINs for the S were around a mere 17500.

Tesla Model S Achieves Best Safety Rating of Any Car Ever Tested

Surely the Model X has passed 20,000 VINs after 2 years? Seems like the NHTSA ratings for the X are long overdue.

I'd love to believe that but the NHTSA rating came out for the Model S around August 2013 when the VINs for the S were around a mere 17500.

Tesla Model S Achieves Best Safety Rating of Any Car Ever Tested

Surely the Model X has passed 20,000 VINs after 2 years? Seems like the NHTSA ratings for the X are long overdue.
It's not solely volume, it's also on structural redesigns and new safety equipment (so Model S may not have reached the volume threshold, but was interesting for these reasons). The Model S/X may be similar enough that it gets thrown on the back burner.

"10. How does NHTSA choose vehicles to rate?
Each year, NHTSA tests a sample of new vehicles predicted to have high sales volume or vehicles that have been structurally redesigned. Tested vehicles are purchased from dealerships across the country; the vehicles are not supplied directly to NHTSA by the manufacturer, a common misperception.

Though NHTSA is unable to rate every car, all vehicles sold in the U.S. must meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards."
https://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle-Shoppers/5–Star-FAQ#ten

It's not solely volume, it's also on structural redesigns and new safety equipment (so Model S may not have reached the volume threshold, but was interesting for these reasons). The Model S/X may be similar enough that it gets thrown on the back burner.

"10. How does NHTSA choose vehicles to rate?
Each year, NHTSA tests a sample of new vehicles predicted to have high sales volume or vehicles that have been structurally redesigned. Tested vehicles are purchased from dealerships across the country; the vehicles are not supplied directly to NHTSA by the manufacturer, a common misperception.

Though NHTSA is unable to rate every car, all vehicles sold in the U.S. must meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards."
https://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle-Shoppers/5–Star-FAQ#ten
Makes sense. Its only around 50k at this point since inception and the skateboard, front crumple zone, and B pillar designs is very much like the S.

I made an image to help do a comparison to the initial testing as seen during the Model X launch event. Wow!
Model X Pole Test 2017 vs 2015 internal vs other best SUV.png

For those browsing the site, you need to scroll through to find the 2017 model. 2015 (??) & 2016 models will show as Not Rated.

Now of course I have to ask....what about the moose test? Volvos are famous for doing internal testing for it, and the Jeep and recently Toyota was known to have failed it.

For those who are unaware, it's basically a rollover test as a result of a series of evasive manuevers. There is also one where you hit a moose and see how it performs at the top half of the car. I don't have any moose in my area, but if we're going for safest here..