Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA Requiring all EVs and Hybrids to Emit More Noise???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven’t seen much discussion on this topic lately, so I was curious to get everyone’s thoughts. The NHTSA is apparently requiring all EVs and hybrid vehicle manufactures to design their vehicles to make sufficient noise to ensure that blind, visually impaired, and other pedestrians are able to detect and recognize these vehicles. The ruling also states “The standard is required to prohibit manufacturers from providing anyone, other than the manufacturer or dealers, with a device designed to disable, alter, replace or modify the alert sound or set of sounds emitted from the vehicle.” Initial compliance is required by 9/1/2018, which is just over 6 months away, and full compliance is required by 9/1/2019.

The full ruling can be read here: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2016/12/14/2016-28804/federal-motor-vehicle-safety-standards-minimum-sound-requirements-for-hybrid-and-electric-vehicles

What will Tesla’s plan be to comply with this ridiculous regulation?

I haven’t seen much discussion on this topic lately, so I was curious to get everyone’s thoughts. The NHTSA is apparently requiring all EVs and hybrid vehicle manufactures to design their vehicles to make sufficient noise to ensure that blind, visually impaired, and other pedestrians are able to detect and recognize these vehicles. The ruling also states “The standard is required to prohibit manufacturers from providing anyone, other than the manufacturer or dealers, with a device designed to disable, alter, replace or modify the alert sound or set of sounds emitted from the vehicle.” Initial compliance is required by 9/1/2018, which is just over 6 months away, and full compliance is required by 9/1/2019.

The full ruling can be read here: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2016/12/14/2016-28804/federal-motor-vehicle-safety-standards-minimum-sound-requirements-for-hybrid-and-electric-vehicles

What will Tesla’s plan be to comply with this ridiculous regulation?

It isn't being implemented. This is the 2016 Federal Register. Welcome to Trump 2017.

Trump's Deregulation Push Takes Aim at Noise Mandate for Hybrid Cars

Basically all administrative agencies are just committing seppuku (harakiri). Its only positive seems to be that they are not making all EVs sound horrible. Its still TBA, so we'll see if anything happens or if the status quo reigns supreme.

EDIT: Every day that passes is yet another argument for why there is no need for this regulation. Pedesterians are not being felled by noiseless EVs but rather by inattentive or aggressive drivers. Hopefully common sense prevails.

I must admit that I can see some reason for this proposal, although I don't like it.
In certain quiet situations (calm side streets, main streets far after midnight, basement garages of shopping malls etc.) people stop looking and watching for traffic before they cross a street. They don't expect a quiet EV and rather solely rely on their ears to cross a street. I found myself in situations with people walking in front of my car for a minute not noticing that I'm following close by and then get a heart attack when they realize "some strange sounds from behind" and turn around. I guess such sound generators would emit only a relatively quiet but characteristic "motor sound" which would only be active from 1-20 km/h and maybe beam formed only in the direction you're driving. Above this speed the EV produces enough rolling/ wind noise to be noticeable anyway and hence would be off.

I called the Tesla Sales phone number to ask about this and they told me that, even if such law passes, only cars manufactured past that date will be affected. They won't ruin existing cars with an update to make noise pollution.
Which would make adding past that date nearly pointless? If I'm deaf I'm going to want a better way to sort out whether or not there are vehicles approaching. I know there are "quiet ones" out there, a method that doesn't reveal their presence to me is a fatally flawed method as which year a car was built in has little impact on whether or not it'll crush me if I step in front of it.

I'm not unpersuadable but I'd sure like to see any data supporting this call, the damage being done without it.

P.S. If it did pass I'd be fine if I could load my own custom sound file in. Having by car accurately duplicate the motor pure of a 90's Honda CBR 600 would be acceptable, that's a sweet gentle purr if memory serves me well.

I don't find the requirements ridiculous or particularly objectionable. I'm always coming up on pedestrians in parking lots who don't hear me coming, so they don't move out of the way. I'm unwilling to honk my horn. To me, that would be much more objectionable than a gentle beep.

Here's my suggestion, free of charge to Tesla engineers. Equip all new electric vehicles with an RF signal that could be picked up by a (free) mobile phone app. The app could recognize the signal and turn it into an audible (for vision impaired people) tone, or a haptic signal (for hearing impaired people), or both. Details about the nature of the signal and the app to be determined by people smarter than I. This could do a better job of protecting those with vision or hearing impairments, and I'd be happy to install the app, just to make it less likely that I don't notice an oncoming EV. And why just EVs? Put it on all vehicles, bicycles to be a subject of discussion.

I don't find the requirements ridiculous or particularly objectionable. I'm always coming up on pedestrians in parking lots who don't hear me coming, so they don't move out of the way. I'm unwilling to honk my horn. To me, that would be much more objectionable than a gentle beep.

Here's my suggestion, free of charge to Tesla engineers. Equip all new electric vehicles with an RF signal that could be picked up by a (free) mobile phone app. The app could recognize the signal and turn it into an audible (for vision impaired people) tone, or a haptic signal (for hearing impaired people), or both. Details about the nature of the signal and the app to be determined by people smarter than I. This could do a better job of protecting those with vision or hearing impairments, and I'd be happy to install the app, just to make it less likely that I don't notice an oncoming EV. And why just EVs? Put it on all vehicles, bicycles to be a subject of discussion.

I find the requirements utterly ridiculous, but only in that they single out EVs and Hybrids.
What they need to do is make it apply to any vehicle on the road that emits less than [insert decibel level here].
This way they aren't rewriting the law when the next 'quiet' vehicle hits the roads. Technology neutral.

As for your RF signal idea, I love it, best idea I have heard in a long time :)

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte
Or you know drivers could do something very novel, like looking out the windshield in the direction they are travelling and then stop for pedestrians. Most pedestrians are wearing headphones these days anyway so unless it's an airhorn they wont hear it anyway. Seriously if you are driving a silent car you pay attention.
Thogh a soft horn to scare away stupid pigeons walking right in front of the car would be usefull actually.

Cobos