TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

NHTSA Safety Complaint

Discussion in 'Model S' started by palmer_md, Mar 20, 2013.

1. palmer_md

palmer_md Member

I've been following this issue discussed in other forums, and searching here I did not see anything. I hope I'm not duplicating threads, if so, please move to the correct location.

The Long Tail Pipe: Tesla's first "safety complaint" lodged against the Model S - might there be quality control problems?

2. Beckler

Beckler Member

Not many details here. A complaint itself doesn't mean much, does it? Who's filing this anyway? If an owner, then suddenly they're an expert on vehicle structure, crumple zones and manufacturing process? If some random technician, then doubly so. None of which means there couldn't be some issue, however.

3. palmer_md

palmer_md Member

#3 palmer_md, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
    I'm not sure I'd have filed a complaint to the NHTSA for finding a bolt loose, but I can see how someone else might feel compelled to do so. I don't think there is a quality control issue, but it is something that Tesla needs to get out in front of. In the other forum there were some Anti-Tesla folks (actually anti-EV) that really jumped on this as a first sign that Tesla was in trouble. They were predicting a recall of the cars to inspect bolts and that the recall would damage the company. Kind of silly, but this is also not something that Tesla can ignore.

4. Zextraterrestrial

I thought there was a thread with the Torlift install where they mentioned the loose bolts ~ 3 out of 4 or something that were only hand tightened but wouldn't change the crash wortyness of the car.
    It was more than 1 month ago..

5. bluetinc

bluetinc Member

6. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

I suspect it's a rare occurrence to see something that looks like a line worker was interrupted in the middle of a job. However, given this incident, the gaps, panel alignment issues (now on Edmunds!) and the end of year rush, hopefully these QC issues are behind Tesla.

My car was started in 2013, and I've noticed only two QC issues: chrome on driver's door does not align with passenger door and the leading edge of the frunk appears to have a vertical gap of about 5mm making it appear not fully closed. Other than that, no observed defects in quality.

Perhaps at annual servicing, Tesla should take off the fascia and check out these various potential bolt issues.

7. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member

Not doubting this report, but I fully expect to see several negative "issues" reported with the car. There are a lot of industries that want to see a Tesla failure. There will be smear campaigns......

8. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

I think the author was a little premature in sending a report to NHTSA. Would have first escalated through Tesla and judged their response to the issue and what they were going to do to investigate/correct.

9. Zzzz...

Zzzz... Member

I know Ford, and probably other automakers use specialized tools that electronically control how many revolvements tool made to tighten the nut. And worker supposed to tighten them in special order, all stats are controlled/recorded and worker just could not not tighten nut because of whatever reason, or at least such thing would be recorded...

Excuse my English.

10. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

11. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

haha, glad I wasn't the only one to spot that.

12. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Looks like that and the complaint are one the same.

13. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Looking at the 3 loose nuts (out of 8) does it look like those bolts are amber in color, implying the bolts are made of plastic? Or maybe they are anodized? Also it appears there is nothing hanging on that black 'bumper' piece, that it is wrap-around thus not likely to fall off even w/o any nuts at all. The hitch appears to be mated to a lower crosspiece, actually housed within it, so the lower crosspiece is doing all the heavy lifting wrt the hitch. Lot going on here.

Re any recall: taking everyone's S apart to 'look see' runs the risk of bolts being left untightened, or other surprises! When any process becomes routine, inattention to detail can arise. Should my S be flagged due to closeness of VINs to the subject car, I'm not sure I would put it thru this process. I just might put one of these hitches on anyway, thus the effort would go to good use!
    --

14. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

We have no evidence this is true.

15. Sancann

Sancann Member

16. K Hall

K Hall Member

Opened a federal case over 3 loose nuts? Amusing at best.

17. palmer_md

palmer_md Member

I think he just jumped the gun on reporting it to NHTSA. The original poster alluded to that as well without actually saying it. Thanks to those who pointed to the discussion on the Tesla website, it was an interesting read. I did not find that on a quick search on my own. At least the saga ended well with the original poster saying:

18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Maybe it's just me but...
    Technically, isn't the proposed action a warranty voiding activity?

19. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

As far as the bumper is warrantied, I suppose. It won't have any effect on any other part of the warranty.

20. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

And even on the bumper, the warranty is only "voided" if there is a problem AND Tesla can prove the problem was caused by the hitch. Which, to my mind, is a perfectly good reason for the warranty to be invalid.

Tesla can't refuse to fix the car - or even certain parts of the car - just because there is a hitch on it.