Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA sets 'Quiet Car' safety standard to protect pedestrians

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With regard to turning it off, from the report:

• Manufacturers must be prohibited from providing any mechanism for anyone other than
    the manufacturer or dealers to disable, alter, replace, or modify the sound or set of sounds emitted from the vehicle. Under the PSEA, a manufacturer or a dealer, however, is allowed to alter, replace, or modify the sound or set of sounds in order to remedy a defect or non-compliance with the safety standard.

From NHTSA sets 'Quiet Car' safety standard to protect pedestrians | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):

"Manufacturers have until Sept. 1, 2019, to equip all new hybrid and electric vehicles with sounds that meet the new federal safety standard. "

It is troubling that throughout the report they use the mean sound level of ICE vehicles as a reference, and while they set the minimum thresholds (even while stopped!!) below those mean levels it is very, very clear that there are quite a few very loud ICE vehicles which skews the mean ICE noise level considerably. Based on the numbers they've mandated my guess is that the required loudness of EVs/HVs set by this standard is louder than the median value for ICE vehicles being produced today.

Let's see what Tesla comes up with before condemning it. For the record I'm not a fan of the idea, but I do think all cars should have some "reversing" sound (not the truck backup 700 dB BEEP!).

From NHTSA sets 'Quiet Car' safety standard to protect pedestrians | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):

"Manufacturers have until Sept. 1, 2019, to equip all new hybrid and electric vehicles with sounds that meet the new federal safety standard. "

I'm sure there's nothing more that I can add that's not already in the sticky thread other than my personal surprise (disgust) that this has been mandated.

I hope the feds decide that buses need a standard to protect pedestrians too. I mean considering gas and diesel buses are so quiet no pedestrians are every run over and killed by buses, huh?

The Nissan Leaf I bought for our daughter has this and you can barely notice it from the cabin. Especially so if the radio is on at all. And I do find I drive very carefully in my Tesla after initially scaring a few pedis and bicyclists with my ninja driving skills

I can see the anti-EV crowd already running the negative ads: Electric cars will run over your children and pets and loved ones!
They already have been. And they were successful as proven by this stupidity.

This is basically a red-flag law.

This will make EVs louder than ICEs for no reason. Hopefully I can get some wire-cutters on it

They already have been. And they were successful as proven by this stupidity.

This is basically a red-flag law.

This will make EVs louder than ICEs for no reason. Hopefully I can get some wire-cutters on it

It's not even a law, it's a mandate.

If it were a law, at least there would have been a process to go through and comment on it, call representatives to express your viewpoint, etc.

This is just nasty pro-oil / pro-ICE lobby efforts getting in with an organization that "dictates" policy due to "safety".

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865