TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

NHTSA sets 'Quiet Car' safety standard to protect pedestrians

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by 7kdblas, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

"We all depend on our senses to alert us to possible danger," said U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx.

I submit to the NHTSA that their senses would work much better if they pulled their heads out of their as--es.

• Funny x 4
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. 7kdblas

7kdblas Member

Maybe your Tesla should be equipped to play the theme from jaws as you stalk pedestrians and cyclists! :)

• Funny x 1
  3. 7kdblas

7kdblas Member

If it were a mandate that ALL cars must produce a minimum sound level, maybe I wouldn't condemn it out of hand.

• Like x 4
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. green1

green1 Active Member

I would. Noise is a bad thing. The less of it generated for no good reason the better. I'd be far more likely to encourage a maximum sound level for all vehicles than a minimum.

• Love x 2
  5. harry

harry Member

If it is mandated, and I disable the sound, and then have a low speed collision (not even with a pedestrian), what do you think the chances are that my insurance company would deny coverage? I'm thinking 100%.

• Disagree x 1
  6. green1

green1 Active Member

The odds are zero. There's plenty of previous examples on this of other similar situations.
    For example, many Canadians don't have working daytime running lights (despite them being legally required in Canada), yet nobody has ever been denied insurance coverage if they have a collision when driving without them, even if they likely would have prevented the collision.

The odds of you getting a minor vehicle maintenance ticket from the police in such a situation is high, but the odds of being denied insurance are zero.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  7. *KT*

*KT* Member

I am partially deaf and previously posted how absurd this is.
    When teaching my children how to safely cross the road and navigate car parks i DID NOT tell them to close their eyes and only listen for cars!!!

Of course not!

I taught them to listen and LOOK for cars and use pedestrian crossings.

I have family members who are blind, they use crossings designed for pedestrians when walking and stick to the sidewalks and pedestrian pavement. Since they cant drive, they are only ever navigating car parks with a sighted person to help them. All of us fear bicycles the most since they seem to be found moving fast and silently on pedestrian areas too.

So therefore if this cannot be a mandate to help disabled people, it must be a mandate to protect irresponsible able bodied people who think its everyone else's responsibility to protect them and not take any responsibility for their own actions.

• Love x 4
  8. 7kdblas

7kdblas Member

I completely agree. By not applying this to all vehicles, it leads me to believe that this mandate really isn't about noise or safety...

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  9. flashflood

flashflood Member

Is there some other kind?

• Funny x 2
  10. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

Wrong. Wrong. And wrong.

I'm no particular fan of these rules, BUT...
    • These rules were in fact mandated by a law passed by Congress. The Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010. (See the Wikipedia link/quotes below.)
    • The NHTSA did go through the regular process for public comment on the proposed rules, and they did make changes based on those comments (summaries of which are included in the NSTSA.gov link below).
    • The law had 0 "no" votes in the Senate and had only 30 "no" votes in the House, all of which were from Republicans. And regardless of your political alignment, there's no real doubt about which party is more pro-oil and anti-environmental protections. Also, the law's sponsor (John Kerry) had a 91% lifetime voting score from the League of Conservation Voters, putting him in the top quartile of senators.
    So, question the wisdom of the law and/or rules if you want. But don't spread misinformation and BS conspiracy theories.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/rulemaking/pdf/QuietCar_FinalRule_11142016.pdf

Electric vehicle warning sounds - Wikipedia

• Informative x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  11. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

This idea seems like we're going backwards as a society. Tech should be less and less intrusive and distracting in our daily lives. I can think of only a few places where this would be potentially useful: at cross walks, in parking areas, and in residential areas where oblivious kids play in the road. For the first two, it would only seem to be applicable for the vision impaired. But surely a better approach would be to outfit the vision impaired with proximity sensing tech?

• Love x 2
  12. 1208

1208 Active Member

In the rest of human history, humans were taught to take responsibility for their own life and would have been told to look out for cars when crossing roads or in car parks.

In this anti-evolution dark age, the selfish humans who want everything done for them must be catered for.

• Love x 2
  13. harry

harry Member

Green1,

I certainly hope you're right!

14. xmetal

xmetal Member

My Leaf does that up to 16mph and I find it rather annoying, even though it really only shows up in parking lot situations. Even then, almost NO ONE hears that noise, ever. Yes I live in Florida so the old-people-with-no-hearing ratio is high but I surprise people of all ages on a daily basis even with the hum. The Leaf is also such a cheapo car that there is not much isolation from the outside so I would hope that Tesla would be more refined and make it completely inaudible from inside the cabin.

• Like x 1
  15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Same reason we don't have the DRL override switch in Canada (where DRLs are the law). I wonder if Canadian cars will get a switch for the noisemaker similar to how US cars have the DRL switch?

16. green1

green1 Active Member

Nope. Tesla is a US company, and they do everything with a US focus. We get whatever bad things they get, but not necessarily all the good things (for example see our crippled summon)

17. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Full compliance is extended to 2020. 50% compliance by 2019.

U.S. finalizes long-delayed 'quiet cars' rule, extending deadline

Department of Transportation estimates the odds of a quiet car VS a pedestrian crash are 19 percent higher than with a noisy ICE

That sounds like the law is based on a guess and not a scientific statistic evidence!

18. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

Stupid stupid stupid mandate.

Are they going to impose this on quiet ICE vehicles? I had a BMW 3 series that was SILENT at a stop.

• Like x 1
  19. Olds442

Olds442 Member

i want mine to sound like a tie fighter, and be able to crank it to insane levels.

i'm thinking 1200 watt powered speaker in the frunk.

• Like x 1
  20. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

The problem is not quiet vehicles any more. Its the people walking with their face in their phones that step off curbs in front of buses, trucks and cars. We are losing more people to being run over by passenger buses than electric cars - here.

• Like x 1