TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Nice charging signs when using public chargers

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by mibaro2, Feb 18, 2015.

1. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

I found these charging signs on the internet. Seems like a great way to communicate to other EV's if it is okay to unplug you when you are using public chargers.
    http://www.takechargeandgo.com/2015/02/14/hangers/

I like that one side clearly says in red "Do not unplug" and the other side is green saying " Okay to unplug".

2. scottm

scottm Active Member

One of the ebay pictures shows the sign around a Tesla charger plugged into the port, on the green side "OK to unplug".

Tell me, just how can somebody do that? The plug is locked in port.

This sign would ONLY make sense at public station where J-adapter is fitted. In that case, the adapter would stay locked in the car, and the J plug could be pulled from it. Right?

3. fadkar

fadkar Member

Im not sure if other EVs have that lock feature? It doesn't seem like it. Perhaps you could just leave your phone number on the card. That way the next person could text you, allowing you to remotely unlock the Tesla so they could get a charge... And you'd have to hope they don't take your adapter lol.

4. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

Yes, that is correct.
    You wouldn't use these at superchargers, only when you use the j1772 adapter. I figure they are handy if you are using one of those chargers, and someone else pulls in that needs a charge. They will know if they can unplug you based on the sign you put out.

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

One of the things I discovered is that you can open the charge port and plug in to a Model S at a Supercharger even if the car is locked. I was actually surprised that you could do this. I haven't tried it with my UMC at home to see if it works in that case too. I take it that the reverse is not true? You can't unplug at a Supercharger when the car is locked?

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Correct, I believe.

I see no problem with being to plug a Supercharger cable into a locked S. It can't hurt the car. I can envision scenarios where you would want someone to be able to do that.

But you don't want other people to be able to unplug your S while it is Supercharging if it is not finished charging. And the charging cables are not long enough for anyone else to use while your car is occupying the charging stall. So allowing someone else to unplug your car when you are not present with the key would not accomplish anything.

7. deonb

deonb Active Member

Ahh contraire! That's a picture of a Chademo adapter plugged into the Model S - so you can unplug the other side :)