TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Nice shot of my car with 20" Avant Garde Niche M117 Wheel

Discussion in 'Model S' started by kgroschi, Aug 25, 2018.

?

Would you consider getting after market wheels?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    43.5%
  1. kgroschi

kgroschi Car Reviewer from Germany

TeslaPic2_small_Groschi.png Hey guys,

I've had these wheels for about a year now and couldn't be happier with them. I think they look absolutely amazing and I also strongly believe that 20" are the PERFECT size for the Model S. 21"s compromise the comfort too much imo, and base rims are just way too small and boring. My tires are also quite a bit wider in case you're curious. I have 265s in the rear and 235s in the front. They make the handling of this car also quite a bit better with sticky Continental Contact Sports.

Anyways, just wanted to share this pic I took today. I thought it came out great ;)

• Like x 1
  2. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

I of course... agree! :)
    +10mm front/rear though - 245 and 275 respectively.

Attached Files:

3. kgroschi

Wow yours looks amazing as well! Are these also M117s? I love the finish!

I also have 245s in front actually. 235 was a typo :/

4. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

Yep, they are the M116 (Anthracite) Misano.

• Like x 1
  5. kgroschi

They looks great!! I prefer them over my M117s but my shop didn't have the 116s when I was there so I just went with the M117s. Might get new ones next year. Did you have any fitment issues with the stock TPMS? They had to cut the stems of mine shorter.

6. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

No issues whatsoever. Plenty of space inside/out so not sure what your shop hand issue with. There’s nothing special about the TPMS. How can the stems be cut and still function? If the shortened the outside, then there are no threads left for the caps? Something doesn’t sound right...

7. kgroschi

Because these wheels are a bit odd. The valves are in a weird place so that they are not visible on the face of the rim. When they first installed it in front of my eyes and pulled the car out of the shop there was a *POP* and both rear tires where flat. Why? Because the TPMS stem was getting stuck/hit and that caused the issue. On the front wheels there was a similar issue if I remember right.

But since then, everything has worked fine.

8. Dameon

Dameon Titanium P90DL

I voted yes, but mainly because the 21" turbines are not properly directional and that's an annoyance for me.

Other than that, I'm quite happy with the factory turbines.

• Like x 1
  9. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

There are TWO valve stem openings per wheel. The backside/hidden one your shop used and the front/normal location one. Using the latter will pose no clearance issues.

10. kgroschi

Fair enough. Personally I just think the turbines are not worth the money and I am not a fan of 21"s here in LA. I like to have that extra rubber plus on of my rims cost $250. I scratched one this weekend because an old parking structure in LA had too tight turns, I just could not make it without scratching a wheel a bit and it didn't bother me. With turbines I'd flip ;)

11. kgroschi

No way. Are you sure? I had no idea. So you can basically choose which one to take?

12. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

Yep. Very strange for sure, but they must’ve wanted to cover for the diehard show car crowd that didn’t want to see TPMS stems. Normal rubber stems are short and black.
    My wheels def have both. Google confirms it.

13. kgroschi

Shute... thanks for the info. I can't believe a place that does nothing but sell and install wheels wouldn't know that.

14. ngng

ngng Member

clean. personally, i think it'd look better matte black.

also, "wheels" not "rims" ;)

15. kgroschi

Thanks! The wheels are actually not that glossy. But ya I like matte too.

And why wheels and not rims? Is rims wrong in American English?

16. ngng

ngng Member

i'm just being pedantic. people use them interchangeably. the rim is part of the wheel. people used to say "rims" when they were talking about their 20" rims on their cars. ironically, your wheels are also 20s lol

• Funny x 1
  17. kgroschi

Oh. So the rim is like the outer part of the wheel? But ya, funny coincidence.