Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nice to have the LR pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a long commute. It's about 112 miles roundtrip. I typically charge my RWD LR 80% as my compromise between long battery life and convenience. I usually start my morning with plenty of range at 256 miles. Wednesday morning, I left with 256 miles of range and returned home with around 135 miles, give or take. Then I forgot to plug my car in. All night. So Thursday morning rolls along and when I leave in the morning I know it's going to be tight, but possible. Maybe. I can hit at least 3 superchargers along my way home if I really needed to. But that's kind of the point of my whole thread- I didn't need to and I was able to drive my commute twice and wasn't ever "worried". Yes, I watched the range and thought about what I may have to do, but I knew Tesla has given me plenty of options and it was a breeze. Love my car and very happy I went with the LR!

Not to mention that our batteries will eventually degrade, and when that happens, it'll be nice to still have enough range to never worry about every day driving after many years. Though by then we'll probably be getting around with our robo taxis and we'll be asking what's the point in owning a car. :)

I have a long commute. It's about 112 miles roundtrip. I typically charge my RWD LR 80% as my compromise between long battery life and convenience. I usually start my morning with plenty of range at 256 miles. Wednesday morning, I left with 256 miles of range and returned home with around 135 miles, give or take. Then I forgot to plug my car in. All night. So Thursday morning rolls along and when I leave in the morning I know it's going to be tight, but possible. Maybe. I can hit at least 3 superchargers along my way home if I really needed to. But that's kind of the point of my whole thread- I didn't need to and I was able to drive my commute twice and wasn't ever "worried". Yes, I watched the range and thought about what I may have to do, but I knew Tesla has given me plenty of options and it was a breeze. Love my car and very happy I went with the LR!
My wife has an M3 LR RWD as well. She was repeatedly forgetting to plug the wall charger in. I bought her this Tesla lightbox sign on eBay and hooked it up to a motion sensor to remind her to plug it in.
She still forgets occasionally, but much improved.
Tesla Automated Charge Reminder Sign

I had seriously debated waiting for the SR but bit the bullet and bought the LR. So happy with the choice.

‘I have kids and grandkids 250 miles away. I have Superchargers along the way and could easily make it in the SR with a SC stop, but I can make it easily without a stop.

Reactions: GSP
If you have an SR+ and set your car to charge to start charging to 100% 4 hours before you head out, you would be in the same scenario. Battery degradation won't matter much since it is time spent at 100% that really matters for battery degradation (due to parasitic reactions).
I don't think charging to 100% every night, even if it ends just prior to use, would be acceptable charging behavior without longevity repercussions. Then factor in what would you be expected to do on weekends, holidays, or sick days? Furthermore, being charged to 100% significantly reduces your efficiency as your car completely disables regenerative braking for the beginning of your commute. I would not recommend charging to 100% except for occasional road trips per Tesla's recommendation.

I don't think charging to 100% every night, even if it ends just prior to use, would be acceptable charging behavior without longevity repercussions. Then factor in what would you be expected to do on weekends, holidays, or sick days? Furthermore, being charged to 100% significantly reduces your efficiency as your car completely disables regenerative braking for the beginning of your commute. I would not recommend charging to 100% except for occasional road trips per Tesla's recommendation.

Again, it's about time spent at 100%. So if you have one sick day where you leave it at 100%, it's ok. Regen braking in some cases can be considered less efficient, especially when you can coast.

• Disagree
Reactions: insaneoctane
Great that you disagree. However you should really do your research on why lithium batteries die and how to prevent it.

I've done plenty of research on the topic. Your comfort of having a battery at 100% greatly exceeds mine. Your suggestion to have the battery charged to 100% has the battery sitting at an elevated SOC because the time it takes to get from 98% to 99% to 100% is much longer than 79% to 80%. Your comfort with having your battery sit at this stressful elevated SOC for approximately 10% of it's lifetime, by design, seems like a poor recommendation IMO. Also, to suggest that because regeneration is disabled at high SOC, that cruising is more efficient? Really? I think we will just have to agree to disagree at this point.

I've done plenty of research on the topic. Your comfort of having a battery at 100% greatly exceeds mine. Your suggestion to have the battery charged to 100% has the battery sitting at an elevated SOC because the time it takes to get from 98% to 99% to 100% is much longer than 79% to 80%. Your comfort with having your battery sit at this stressful elevated SOC for approximately 10% of it's lifetime, by design, seems like a poor recommendation IMO. Also, to suggest that because regeneration is disabled at high SOC, that cruising is more efficient? Really? I think we will just have to agree to disagree at this point.

Don't know what cruising is. However, coasting is more efficient than regen if you do it right. If you have enough room to coast to a stop, it beats regening to a stop 100% of the time. Entropy. Second law of thermodynamics.

As for charging, the model 3 SR+ would charge at 30 miles per hour. In your scenario of driving around 120 miles/day, it would take 4 hours to charge up from 50% to 100%. At close to 100%, it may start to trickling. That's fine, don't charge that last 2% if you don't want to.