Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nice to have: User Defined Macro buttons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the full understanding of all the features that haven't even begun to be addressed (lighted visors, backup camera lines etc..), I thought of something that just hit me.

Every day, literally, I do a "dance" when I return home for the night with my Tesla. I drive up the driveway and:
-stop
-click the garage door open icon to open the garage door
-roll in, put the car in park
-roll up all the windows so the cat doesn't sleep in the car
-click the control screen to access the trunk release
-click the trunk release to open the trunk
-click the charge screen(battery icon)
-click the "open charge-port door" icon (because the button on the HPWC cable is unreliable in terms of popping the door open)

Then I get out of the car, I do the things that a human must do: plug the charge cable in, grab my bag from the trunk and close it.

It was cool at first, you know, using the touch screen to do all that. Now it's become arduous. I know how silly that sounds.

In any event, I am sure others have similar routines that have become annoying over time.

All that got me thinking about how hard would it be for Tesla to allow for user definable macro buttons?
I know it's a long shot, but as a programmer, this sounds like such a no brainer (don't all these enhancements?). There is precedent with the GPS enabled suspension, and it knowing where "home" is to present the garage door opener etc..
At the very least, open the API up so I can do it myself :)

Couldn't agree more I would love to have the functionality you suggest

The initial impact with the Tech in this car is a WOW factor, but after driving it for several months its surprising how very very basic the functionality is.

Have to say by biggest disappointment after all the excitement of setting up my profile on the Tesla website and checking it daily to monitor the progress of my order, was once I got the car I guess I expected that to remain a portal to my car, but no it ceased to have any function as soon as I took delivery.

I'm know its a major undertaking to prep firmware updates and roll them out to an ever growing fleet of cars, but they have the API - why not throw some development time into building out the Portal so a car owner can setup customs options, schedules etc and them have them push out to their car?

Down the road they could then extend functionality to the Car's dash, Smartphone apps etc.

Thankfully there's the awesome VisibleTesla app - that at least give's me some of the functionality I took for granted would be in my Tesla portal.

They should put a strip down the left side where users can place icons of their choosing. Examples, one might toggle the sunroof between a set open position and closed. Another might toggle between the seat all the way back with the steering wheel full in and up and the previous driving position. It wouldn't take up much screen space and it would give users a lot of flexibility to customize their cars. If you often raise and lower the suspension then that cold be a toggle.

-click the "open charge-port door" icon (because the button on the HPWC cable is unreliable in terms of popping the door open)

Is't there a charge port open button on the same screen as the trunk release? I have never had any problems with the cable not opening the charge port door. Maybe you should get Tesla to look at it.

I have never had any problems with the cable not opening the charge port door. Maybe you should get Tesla to look at it.

+1. There are other threads on the forum that discuss this, but also make sure you try pressing the HPWC button while holding the cable close to the car's receiver/antenna, which I believe is in the back window. For me, having the cable open the charge port adds a lot to the "cool factor" of the car; if it's not working for you, it's definitely worth mentioning to Tesla.

Re: macro buttons, I agree they would be nice to have. That and/or touchscreen gestures that don't require you to look at the screen to perform.

Anyone that has been working on designing a UI knows that the cool look and feel is often very different from being actually good in real world every day use. Controls that are needed often are best on a physical button. Unlike a touch screen, a physical button stays in the same spot and you get 'feelable' feedback. That means after a while you can reach it and use it without having to look at it. A touch screen won't allow that. That's why the most used controls are physical and on the steering wheel or around it.
Every time you have to go to a different page/tab on a GUI to access daily tasks you will get the user annoyed. A large touch screen is awesome for a device that you give 100% attention (iPad, phone, computer) but for driving a car your main focus is driving and any controls should require as little time and distraction to find and use.
But in the end the cool factor wins of course. That's why they went with the large touch screen.

PS: I have the same problem with my UMC not opening the charge port. Always takes several tries. They even gave me a new one but it didn't help the issue.

With the full understanding of all the features that haven't even begun to be addressed (lighted visors, backup camera lines etc..), I thought of something that just hit me.

Every day, literally, I do a "dance" when I return home for the night with my Tesla. I drive up the driveway and:
-stop
-click the garage door open icon to open the garage door
-roll in, put the car in park
-roll up all the windows so the cat doesn't sleep in the car

Then I get out of the car, I do the things that a human must do: plug the charge cable in, grab my bag from the trunk and close it.

It was cool at first, you know, using the touch screen to do all that. Now it's become arduous. I know how silly that sounds.

In any event, I am sure others have similar routines that have become annoying over time.

All that got me thinking about how hard would it be for Tesla to allow for user definable macro buttons?
I know it's a long shot, but as a programmer, this sounds like such a no brainer (don't all these enhancements?). There is precedent with the GPS enabled suspension, and it knowing where "home" is to present the garage door opener etc..
At the very least, open the API up so I can do it myself :)

I'm confused?
I push the "garage" tab before I pull into the driveway (since it pops up)
I back into my garage
Put it in park
Push the button on the charge cable & plug it in. That's it.