TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Nice to see Home Depot supporting the EV game.

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by TaoJones, Feb 13, 2015.

1. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

#1 TaoJones, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Nice deal !

• Like x 1
  3. swaltner

swaltner Member

My browser says the price is $449. Still, not a bad price.

4. tga

tga Active Member

5. invisik

invisik Member

If you search for J1772 on their site, quite a few chargers and whatnot come up. Most you probably won't see in a store, but at least they are out there!

-m

6. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Just as a point of technicality, it's not derated. Derating has very specific meaning in the NEC. In this case, the charger can be set for 12, 16, 24, or 32A continuous loads, which requires a circuit rating of 125% the continuous load.

(The difference shows when you do have to derate.)

7. tga

tga Active Member

Well, I could be pedantic and argue that the NEC hasn't completely co-opted the term "derate", but I understand your point.

In my defense, however, the GE installation manual refers to it as the "Optional de-rate jumper." I was just copying their lingo without much thought.

8. flankspeed8

flankspeed8 Member

Home Depot has been selling EVSE's for a while now. At least here in the midwest though, they are only available on-line and not stocked in stores. I got mine from them online. I think that it is great that these are looked at as mainstream enough for them to stock them. Wouldn't it be great if the national code was changed to require pre-wiring for EVSE in all new construction, nationwide? That is another discussion though.

9. BerTX

BerTX Member

Do you recall if this was actually sent from a HD warehouse? I'm thinking it is probably just drop-shipped rather than being something they "stock". Lots of online sites are listing items from other sellers, ala Amazon Marketplace. Not important, just curious.

10. flankspeed8

flankspeed8 Member

No, it actually came from Home Depot with a HD return UPS label. The reason I bough it from them rather than direct from the manufacture even though the price was the same is because I was able to use the shop through Chase portal for triple points for HD purchases.

11. miimura

miimura Active Member

I bought my Leviton 40A EVSE from Home Depot in 2013. At the time, I went to the store and they guy told me they had pulled all the "car charger" inventory from the stores back to the central warehouse. From HomeDepot.com you can always get free shipping to the store of your choice and usually get free shipping to your home.

12. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

#12 Ulmo, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016