Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nickel - shortage, bottleneck, mining and investments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Buckminster

Aug 29, 2018
UK
A place for discussions on all things:

element-nickel-symbol-square-Ni-properties-some.jpg

From Q2 Call:
So, yes, so you have like two supply chains that you can tap into iron phosphate or nickel. We use very little cobalt in our system already, and that's -- that may to zero along, so it's basically about nickel.

Martin Viecha -- Senior Director for Investor Relations

Thank you. The next question is Tesla recently decided not to produce Standard 3 Range version of Model Y, no longer offers a Standard Range Model S or X and has announced ramping of the Semi. Does this shift from smaller-pack vehicles suggest that Tesla is not battery constrained as in the past? What are the biggest constraints now?

Elon Musk -- Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer

Well, I'd just like to reemphasize, any mining companies out there, please mine more nickel, OK? Wherever you are in the world, please mine more nickel, and don't wait for nickel to go back to some long -- some high point that you experienced some five years ago or whatever. Go for efficiency, as environmentally friendly, nickel mining at high volume. Tesla will give you a giant contract for a long period of time if you mine nickel efficiently and in an environmentally sensitive way. So hopefully, this message goes out to all mining companies.

Please get nickel. With regard to passenger vehicles, I think the new normal for Range is going to be, just in U.S. EPA terms, approximately 300 miles. So I think people will really come to expect that as some number close to 300 miles as normal.

Well, I'd just like to reemphasize, any mining companies out there, please mine more nickel, OK? Wherever you are in the world, please mine more nickel, and don't wait for nickel to go back to some long -- some high point that you experienced some five years ago or whatever. Go for efficiency, as environmentally friendly, nickel mining at high volume. Tesla will give you a giant contract for a long period of time if you mine nickel efficiently and in an environmentally sensitive way. So hopefully, this message goes out to all mining companies.

Please get nickel. With regard to passenger vehicles, I think the new normal for Range is going to be, just in U.S. EPA terms, approximately 300 miles. So I think people will really come to expect that as some number close to 300 miles as normal.

So he's like saying that nickel is important, right? Anybody getting something different?

/s

• Funny
Reactions: Buckminster
So he's like saying that nickel is important, right? Anybody getting something different?

/s

Somewhat seriously - has anybody ever heard of a CEO that was, in essence, indicating a desire to buy a raw material / input material during an earnings call? Buying a technology, a company, a patent portfolio - that sort of thing; sure.

But a call out to suppliers that he wants more and more?

Seems like every time we look around, we find Tesla doing something that nobody else does (or even considers doing, to then discard the idea as outrageous). One of many reasons I like being a (very small fractional) owner.

• Informative
Reactions: mikevbf