TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Nicks in the leather?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by FlasherZ, Aug 24, 2013.

1. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I was looking over my car the other day and noticed that I have two nicks in the leather near the base of the B pillar. This isn't the same location of the rubbing / fraying that others are seeing, these are further down.

20130824_140040.jpg 20130824_135955.jpg

1. Anyone else seen this? Any idea from where they might have come? I would normally suspect jean rivets or something, but these are outside the areas where those things would likely impact.

2. Any suggestions to keep them from getting bigger? Dark nail polish? Some type of rubber cement?

2. Tommy

Tommy Member

#2 Tommy, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
    Don't even consider # 2. Go for replacement by Tesla. I posted about this many months ago happening to me, though slightly in a different location. In my case it was caused by the copper/brass rivets so common on just about every pair of jeans. If you wear jeans, I can almost bet that is the cause. Tesla replaced the part at N/C. I was firm with them and requested replacement based on either flawed material or poor design. I explained that in 40+ years of driving I have never had such an issue occur. Hope you get resolution from Tesla to your satisfaction.

Looking at the photo, the nick could have been from the seat belt retracting and the metal buckle hitting the post. The point is the material is flimsy and this should not be occurring.