Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nifty camping trailer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Early days for this trailer but it looks quite nifty.

I do a lot of mountain biking and use a tent and gazebo for overnight stays. That works but it's a bit of a faff. My mates are in and out quickly in their camper vans although it does nail them on diesel cost.

A camping trailer with onboard batteries looks like a nice option for the future so I'll be keen to see how this develops. That said I'd need to find a viable tow bar installation for an M3P which could prove tricky!

Had a shufty at it - great concept but a very expensive project at $55k albeit for 75kWh of battery that's another EV!
Empty it is just shy of 900kg with tongue weight of 82kg.
It does look like the aerodynamics are good but its still a heavy tow but with good low centre of gravity.

You won’t be able to legally tow anything with your M3P, unfortunately. Only M3s that have had a tow bar fitted at the factory are plated to tow, otherwise Tesla rate them at 0kg towing capacity (why? Who knows?).

You can get aftermarket tow bars fitted, however they’re only designed for tow bar mounted luggage and bicycle racks. If you were to get caught towing a trailer with one of these you could end up with a pretty hefty fine.

Do people really believe adverts? "Will last for generations". Hmm... a generation used to be accepted as 25yr and here we have a pleural... so implies it's good for 50 years or more - so they've obviously cracked battery technology big time.. You can just about see a point to it in a huge wasteful country like the US but for $55K that's a lot of nights in decent hotels and even more nights in dodgy hotels that are still more comfortable than crapping in the bushes.....
On the plus side it must be capable of powering a decent electric fence to stop Yogi nicking your pic-a-nic basket...