Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Night-time map fonts unreadable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Padelford

Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2017
Seattle
Perhaps the only persistent Tesla gripe I have is that the font color used on the night-time Nav map for feature call-outs (like road names) makes them unreadable. Tesla has chosen a light grey, outlined font when the background feature color is typically a slightly darker grey. Changing the display brightness doesn't help.

The daytime map design is fine for readability. Fixing the night-time map font should be as little effort as a one-line code change. I've complained repeatedly about this for six weeks and seen no improvement. Does this bother only me?

If you experiment with pinch-zoom you will see that as you "zoom in" not only does the font size change (increase) but the level of detail decreases (declutter). With some experimenting I have found a better balance between readability and clutter. Perhaps this will help? Of course your carefully chosen zoom reverts to Tesla default each time the car wakes up. Ah well.