Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nightmare "Charge now" (when fully charged) error and then locked out... anyone had this before?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving today about 10 miles from home (after ~12 miles of driving), and I got the normal "low battery, charge soon" error (I forget the exact wording), which was pretty weird because I had ~260 miles of range, I just charged a few days ago and have only done a handful of miles since then: there was no way my battery was flat!

I happened to be 2 minutes away from a supermarket fast charger so stopped to put it on charge in case it was just a bug that would be cleared by putting the car on charge, but then when I went to get back into the car it was a complete brick: locked, black screen, nothing. I didn't have a key card on me so I couldn't try that, but my phone was doing nothing either when approaching the car or using the app (it said something about enabling remote access?)

I called Tesla and eventually got through, and they tried some diagnostic stuff. At first the guy couldn't get a connection, and then the car seemed to wake up but I still couldn't get in. He reset some things remotely and eventually it unlocked, probably taking an hour start to finish, although admittedly I managed to drop the call halfway through and had to go through the whole process of getting hold of them again.

He suggested it might be to do with the update I just had messing with the bluetooth/LTE connectivity, and that he thinks it would have been okay if I had a key card... but I'm kind of nervous now about taking the car out without having a key card on me at the very least, and even that is only half reassuring.

Has anyone else had this? Did it recur or was it just a one-off thing? Luckily I was close enough to home that I could have gotten back even if I couldn't get in the car, but I don't fancy that happening when I'm 200 miles away!

There was a worldwide Tesla server outage a while ago. Did not affect the key feature since that is direct bluetooth but loads of people on finding the app would not connect to the car for other stuff tried to log out and log in again. Due to the outage once logged out they could not log in and that broke the ability to use the phone as a key and any without a key card handy were stranded for hours.

I was driving today about 10 miles from home (after ~12 miles of driving), and I got the normal "low battery, charge soon" error (I forget the exact wording), which was pretty weird because I had ~260 miles of range, I just charged a few days ago and have only done a handful of miles since then: there was no way my battery was flat!

Is there a possibility it could be related to the 12v battery state rather than the main battery I wonder?