Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nightmare! Devon Holiday Scratch...!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sorted yet, going in on the 12th for 3 weeks...
How do you even do that without stopping immediately? That's just nuts. What did they say after it happened?
She was parallel parked at an angle, and I thought she was levelling out, but she just powered into my car.... I was going maybe 15. Usual "I didnt see you" line. But if she checked the mirror before levelling out, she wouldn't due to the angle of her car. And no signalling obviously, because why would you.

0.PNG

Levelling out...
1.PNG

Then just gassed it as I was passing.

2.PNG

Pfft, you call that a scratch? Got this when some egit pulled out of a parking space without looking...

View attachment 679609
I had one like that a few years ago in the head office car park of a 'major UK bank' while I was doing some work there.

It was a 'hit and run' as the miscreant had fled the scene before I got to my parked car, but fortunately the carpark had CCTV. They managed to find out who hit my car - evidently, he hit it, got out and had a look then cleared off. They put me in touch with the driver - turned out to be the bank's Compliance Officer.

With regards to the OP confusing D and R. I've always thought that Drive should be up and Reverse should be down. But then again I've driven electric forklift vehicles for years and it's second nature to do up for forwards.

Not managed to mix it up in the Tesla yet. Almost but not quite.

Reactions: DigbyChicken
Thanks for your sage advice, people (and the anti-Tesla caution of Chips Away has been noted). I'll try to make a few enquiries tomorrow but am pleased to say I have got on with enjoying my holiday. Went for a lovely run up to Westward Ho! today. :cool:

Having become cross at causing the scratch, I think I then started to get cross at myself because I was getting cross. :rolleyes: After all, I try to put people first, and no one was hurt, so why the over-reaction? It's only a car, at the end of the day. And it's only a scratch (''Tis but a flesh wound!', says @Yev000 - damn, that looks horrible - glad you got it sorted, but... blimey...).
So... While awaiting a quote/polite rejection from the local Chips Away chap, I sent a photo to Revive UK, and their quote came back as £195. Bit much? (Maybe it's a 'placeholder' quote.) Anyone ever used them? Might email a couple of proper local companies too - got to be better than me having a go with the Chipex, I guess...

So... While awaiting a quote/polite rejection from the local Chips Away chap, I sent a photo to Revive UK, and their quote came back as £195. Bit much? (Maybe it's a 'placeholder' quote.) Anyone ever used them? Might email a couple of proper local companies too - got to be better than me having a go with the Chipex, I guess...
My local Revive chap has been brilliant. He reckons the red is a tricky colour to match, but he has made my scrapes invisible.

No dice from Chipsaway: no licensee is allowed to work on Teslas, "not because they are electric" but because of "the contractual obligations drawn up by Tesla."

...which makes me wonder if I shouldn't just 'fess up to the lease company/Tesla and see what happens. Don't want to get in trouble down the line as the car isn't ours...

No dice from Chipsaway: no licensee is allowed to work on Teslas, "not because they are electric" but because of "the contractual obligations drawn up by Tesla."

...which makes me wonder if I shouldn't just 'fess up to the lease company/Tesla and see what happens. Don't want to get in trouble down the line as the car isn't ours...
It’s a lease vehicle so nothing to ‘fess up’ about. You’ll just need to get it sorted before it goes back or they’ll charge you for it. Take a look at the BVRLA fair wear and tear guidelines. You can view the PDF file here. BVRLA

Who left that stone wall behind me? :-(

I had an eye-openning (potentially pocket draining) convo with Chips Away. £400 to repaint the bummer bumper. Wants the car for a day. Three stage process, ya know?

ISTR that Tesla stocks pre-painted bumpers... but couldn't find a mention in the search. If they aren't much more, I'd rather go for a quick switch... if the paint is a close match.

I've put out a feeler to the "do it in your drive" mobile chaps and await their shocking answer...Polish_20210806_131040605.jpg

I had an eye-openning (potentially pocket draining) convo with Chips Away. £400 to repaint the bummer bumper. Wants the car for a day. Three stage process, ya know?

ISTR that Tesla stocks pre-painted bumpers... but couldn't find a mention in the search. If they aren't much more, I'd rather go for a quick switch... if the paint is a close match.

I've put out a feeler to the "do it in your drive" mobile chaps and await their shocking answer...View attachment 692891
Ouch! Sorry to hear (see) that. Interesting that you were able to chat to Chips Away at all; I was told that "no Chipsaway franchisees are allowed to work on Teslas. It is not because they are electric, it is down the contractual obligations drawn up by Tesla."

I've got Revive! coming on Wednesday and have been quoted £185 for my (more minor) repair. Will update this thread once the repair's been done...!

Ouch! Sorry to hear (see) that. Interesting that you were able to chat to Chips Away at all; I was told that "no Chipsaway franchisees are allowed to work on Teslas. It is not because they are electric, it is down the contractual obligations drawn up by Tesla."

I've got Revive! coming on Wednesday and have been quoted £185 for my (more minor) repair. Will update this thread once the repair's been done...!

That quote was £400 plus VAT so £480. The do-it-at-yours quote was £380.

Chips Away had a note saying that the car would require recalibration due to ADAS.

Eh?

But... there's a camera. And sensors. And beeping. *How?*

(this isn't a slight on your driving - I managed to crash my Volvo into a concrete barrier at 2mph in some motorway services despite having a 360 degree camera and parking sensors fitted. Even the guy on the phone from the insurance company laughed at me when he looked at the place on Google Street View 😢)

But... there's a camera. And sensors. And beeping. *How?*

(this isn't a slight on your driving - I managed to crash my Volvo into a concrete barrier at 2mph in some motorway services despite having a 360 degree camera and parking sensors fitted. Even the guy on the phone from the insurance company laughed at me when he looked at the place on Google Street View 😢)

Nagging wife wot done it ;-)

• Funny
Reactions: Beady3647