Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nightmare! Devon Holiday Scratch...!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up the M3 on Friday; went on holiday on Saturday. My worst nightmare happened today - on the narrow lanes of Dartmoor, I ended up scratching the rear bumper of the car. (A double-decker bus was coming down a narrow lane; I had to reverse into someone's drive to let him pass. And then, because I'm still becoming familiar with the car, I knocked it into reverse again instead of drive and pushed back against a gate. No excuses though. Furious with myself.)

It's an NHS lease car so I guess when we get back I should just get in touch and see what they want to do...? Or keep it quiet and explore a Chips Away kind of service...

As before, am largely posting here just to vent at my own stupidity. Am going for a very long walk now to kick a few trees... I might be some time.
Are you with Knowles my man?

M
We are indeed. :)
Morning,
* Touch wood* I have not managed to do anything to the Tesla yet, but before the M3 I had an Audi through Knowls and the insurance excess was £100 *no quibble* I was told it remained the same with the Tesla and the insurance is unaffected.

found them very easy to deal with and could select a range of Places to take it all with Body shops, the repair was guaranteed and was no issue when handing the car back.

M

Morning,
* Touch wood* I have not managed to do anything to the Tesla yet, but before the M3 I had an Audi through Knowls and the insurance excess was £100 *no quibble* I was told it remained the same with the Tesla and the insurance is unaffected.

found them very easy to deal with and could select a range of Places to take it all with Body shops, the repair was guaranteed and was no issue when handing the car back.
Good to hear. Chap at Knowles said we could sort this ourselves and avoid the excess - can't remember what it is, but I think it's more than than £100. I'll check next time I can put my hand on the paperwork...

Mines an NHS lease too. Pretty sure it's £100 a claim. Get it done through them instead of a 3rd party and they can't kick up a stink when it's time to hand it back.

Ive had my car 9 months and managed 2 kerbed wheels already. Also have a scuff to the front bumper from a mystery driver when it was left in the car park. Just another 3yrs 3mths to avoid anymore damage 🤯

Reactions: GarethWhyte
Mines an NHS lease too. Pretty sure it's £100 a claim. Get it done through them instead of a 3rd party and they can't kick up a stink when it's time to hand it back.

Ive had my car 9 months and managed 2 kerbed wheels already. Also have a scuff to the front bumper from a mystery driver when it was left in the car park. Just another 3yrs 3mths to avoid anymore damage 🤯
Thanks. Ouch!

I've just checked the paperwork (the NHS in the SW use Knowles Fleet) and we have a £750 excess "for any claim involving a Tesla vehicle (excluding windscreen claims)". This might explain why the Knowles guy was, if not encouraging, at least more than happy for us to sort this ourselves. (As I might have said, the quote including VAT is £185.) How good the job is, we'll just have to see - chap's due on Wednesday. (We'll have to wait a little longer to see what happens when we hand the car back...)

So... Chap came today. Friendly bloke, took his time, but still completed the work in under two hours. Picture of his handiwork below - I think he did a cracking job (compare and contrast with the photos on page one of this thread). £185, which is what the revised quote was (head office phoned about five minutes after he left to take a credit card payment). I'm happy!

He also mentioned Revive!'s scratch and dent insurance. Wasn't pushy, but I'm intrigued. I mention it here in case it's of use to anyone, especially if like me you're on a lease and are pretty convinced something bad will happen again...! You can make up to 9 claims in three years (perfect for a lease) for scratches/dents up to 30cm long. With our details added, it comes out at just under £400 (in four payments) - £44 a claim (cf. the £185 I paid today), if you take advantage of three every year!.(One- and two-year deals are also available.)

Anyone tried something like this before? We're giving it some serious thought. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210811_1807406.jpg
    IMG_20210811_1807406.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 60