Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nightmare Experience! Only 500 miles driven...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate that this is my first post, but here we are. I received delivery of a new Model Y Performance on August 1st. The Tesla sales and delivery experience were great and I enjoyed driving my new Model Y... Until this past Monday.

At 1:30pm this past Monday, my Model Y broke down in a fast food drive-thru in Phoenix, AZ. Two notifications went off and I was immediately unable to put my car into gear. The notifications I received were "Power reduced (code DIF_a062)" and "Acceleration and top speed reduced (code BMS_a170). In order to prevent a long & boring post, I will get straight to the point - my car was stranded for 5 hours between 1:30pm-6:30pm in 110-degree heat in Phoenix, all while blocking a restaurant from serving lunch and dinner service. I couldn't put my car into neutral, creating mass confusion and people being hostile toward me. I had heard great things about Tesla Roadside so I wasn't too concerned...

Well, Tesla Roadside completely dropped the ball which resulted in a hazardous situation. I opened about 6 Roadside tickets but all were either closed or ignored. Luckily my wife sat on hold for an hour and finally got ahold of someone in Roadside. I had to beg and plead for him to put me in direct contact with Roadside leadership which he did. Although that was helpful, it still took 2 more hours to get a tow truck, accounting for 5 hours of waiting in total. The only silver lining is it wasn't my wife and kids that had to deal with this.

They towed my car to a local Tesla Service Center who called me the next morning. They told me to come to get a loaner which I did. I discussed the situation with them but all they did was try and assure me that the car is fine and they gave me two toy Tesla's to give to my kids. They said it was probably just the rear drive component and that they didn't test the car enough before delivering it to me. I haven't heard from them since...

My question now is how the hell do you contact anyone at Tesla to discuss this situation? Both Tesla Roadside and Service have been terrible and I honestly don't want the car anymore. My Model Y has only 500 miles on it and I'm shocked that I'm already having issues and that it's taking this long just to get a diagnosis. Don't even get me started on how absolutely terrible and dangerous Tesla Roadside is - I will never go through them again and have absolutely zero faith in them. The same can be said for their Service and communication. I'm wondering if anyone has a Tesla phone number other than their generic customer service line so that I can get an audience.

I'm still in shock at how terrible my Tesla experience has been. It's crazy that I can't get any help from Tesla and that they're okay with this type of product and "service." Assuming they fail to provide clarity, I won't be taking back the Tesla or will sell it. Trash company and I'd rather deal with the crooks at Audi who at least tried to help me.

That really sucks! Was it in drive when this happened and wouldn’t move? Did you try and reset? Sometimes that will fix things by holding both scroll buttons until the screen reboots. Somebody should have got back to you at least for troubleshooting since it was blocking the drive thru.

Reactions: westie10019
That really sucks! Was it in drive when this happened and wouldn’t move? Did you try and reset? Sometimes that will fix things by holding both scroll buttons until the screen reboots. Somebody should have got back to you at least for troubleshooting since it was blocking the drive thru.
The car was in drive when it happened and all the gears (P-D-N-R) disappeared and showed up as dashed lines. I had 5 hours to kill so I tried EVERYTHING but nothing worked. It was dangerous, people were pissed, it was 110 degrees, but Tesla Roadside didn't care one bit.

I can only imagine the angry / hungry drive through customers. Depending on the neighborhood you were in, that could get ugly! keep use posted on what went wrong with the car.
I just spent an hour on hold with Tesla customer service, only to be told that I have to go through my local service team for any and all issues. Didn't matter that I'm upset with my local Tesla Service center because they haven't communicated with me at all. This is absolute insanity - 500 miles on a brand new car that doesn't work yet no one will speak with me

Nonsense. Tesla Roadside & Service are built into my warranty. They're expected to deliver on that promise and absolutely failed me...
I won't argue with that. You are correct. I am not saying that poor customer service is right, but when choosing brands, it's important to be aware of what you are getting into.

An example for customer feedback:

That's how the brand is built!

I never used their roadside service so I can’t really say if that was a normal experience. Obviously, that was horrible to have to deal with. For me, I would have most likely just called a tow truck myself to get it out of the way then worry about getting it to the service center if Tesla wasn’t responding.

Reactions: laservet
Sorry for the bad luck. Technically Any car can fail unpredictability at any time but never fun. There are (3) Tesla dealers In Phoenix did you try calling any of them? Roadside has always been fine for me and quickly replied with just a request granted that is not Teslas service directly just a network so may be different by area. Hope they get it fixed soon.

Reactions: GtiMart and alexgr
I just spent an hour on hold with Tesla customer service, only to be told that I have to go through my local service team for any and all issues. Didn't matter that I'm upset with my local Tesla Service center because they haven't communicated with me at all. This is absolute insanity - 500 miles on a brand new car that doesn't work yet no one will speak with me
I have a MY on order and these types of posts give me pause to reconsider my choice. It sounds Tesla customer service is like any other software company, when you have a problem, they seem to do everything possible to NOT have anyone available for a simple call and triage for the customer. You soon realize you are on an island. Simple empathy and knowing that you problem is in the Q for repair goes a long way with customer satisfaction.

I won't argue with that. You are correct. I am not saying that poor customer service is right, but when choosing brands, it's important to be aware of what you are getting into.

An example for customer feedback:

That's how the brand is built!
Understood, but all I'm asking for is some help if my brand new car doesn't work. Very simple request but I guess Elon is too busy drilling holes

Reactions: mm9351
I have a MY on order and these types of posts give me pause to reconsider my choice. It sounds Tesla customer service is like any other software company, when you have a problem, they seem to do everything possible to NOT have anyone available for a simple call and triage for the customer. You soon realize you are on an island. Simple empathy and knowing that you problem is in the Q for repair goes a long way with customer satisfaction.
You're on a total island. You absolutely need to have a separate Roadside service other than Tesla, at a minimum. Then, you're at your local Service Center's mercy when there's car issues. Tesla will not let you speak with anyone else. Makes zero sense at all.

I know I sound like a scorned new customer, which I 100% am, but I have zero time for this because Tesla hypes how great their product and service are. Not the case at all and my experience is that they have a single line of defense everywhere across their model. One thing doesn't work and you're SCREWED

Reactions: westie10019
I know when I used to have AAA it took forever for somebody to come when I had car trouble. So Tesla roadside is just calling somebody then like AAA does?
No, they have preferred tow truck vendors that they use. I forgot to mention that we secured a tow truck from their preferred vendor by calling a local tesla service center and asking. Tesla Roadside couldn't even do that

No, they have preferred tow truck vendors that they use. I forgot to mention that we secured a tow truck from their preferred vendor by calling a local tesla service center and asking. Tesla Roadside couldn't even do that
Ugh, sorry to hear that. I am seriously starting to consider the BMW iX as I have been waiting for my Tesla for almost a year now. My wife would be pissed if she had to deal with this.

*edit* Just emailed the local BMW dealer, they will have a few in stock in the next few months and one on the lot to try. I know what I am doing on Saturday lol.

Last edited:
Ugh, sorry to hear that. I am seriously starting to consider the BMW iX as I have been waiting for my Tesla for almost a year now. My wife would be pissed if she had to deal with this.
Yeah that’s a smart play. Since they are all recalled to Not drive Or charge the BMW iX you’ll have plenty more time to wait for your Tesla! Lol only Tesla has issues….

...Tesla will not let you speak with anyone else. Makes zero sense at all...
That's the irony of the "Free Speech Absolutist."
...Tesla hypes how great their product...
It used to be when no one could sell AutoSteer, and only Tesla could.

But its tech is slipping as GM Cruise started to sell its version hands-free from day one starting in 2017 or 5 years ago. Tesla started its AutoSteer since 2014, but now after 8 years, Tesla can't still do it hands-free.

...One thing doesn't work and you're SCREWED...
Since your car is under warranty, I wouldn't worry about it. It will be fixed like new. You only need to worry when it's out of warranty.

As the Borg would say: Resistance is futile. That's how it works in Tesla. It's not worth it to be all stressed out!