Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nightmare Experience! Only 500 miles driven...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The answer is:
Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Tacoma
Land Cruiser
Lexus GX
Lexus LX
5 examples of vehicles that are not rated very highly by Consumer Reports but their own surveys have proven nonetheless that these vehicles are in huge demand because they run on dinosaur technology/design that have proven to last 25 years with basic maintenance.
Yeah that's my backup car 4runner lol

You're on a total island. You absolutely need to have a separate Roadside service other than Tesla, at a minimum. Then, you're at your local Service Center's mercy when there's car issues. Tesla will not let you speak with anyone else. Makes zero sense at all.

I know I sound like a scorned new customer, which I 100% am, but I have zero time for this because Tesla hypes how great their product and service are. Not the case at all and my experience is that they have a single line of defense everywhere across their model. One thing doesn't work and you're SCREWED
Unfortunately you had the FIAT experience! Silly me bought a FIAT X1/9, it was a nightmare! I sued FIAT to get satisfaction! The problems you had mirror problems I had ! I'm sorry you and your family had to endure this crap!

So you sell the car back to Tesla and take a loss. Tesla turns around and sells the car to a waiting customer who's happy to get it probably same day. Tesla quickly makes an unexpected profit. At this point the only one who loses is he who overreacts. This whole plan seems like an asymmetric response to the untimely failure of an electrical component which ends in financial losses where none are necessary. So some American Motorists couldn't get a large fry for a couple hours without getting out of their seat and walking 30 feet from a parking space. I had a 2013 Model S, come tell me about breaking parts and visiting the Tesla SC. LOL I remember the old days of getting a call from some random Tesla person in California and them having me duct tape my cell phone down in my trunk while doing launches so they could allegedly listen to random things. How far we've come in the last decade with Tesla. It's been a journey.

Bottom line here is a rear motor replacement is actually relatively simple and quick fix. People hear motor replacement and have visions of the entire car coming apart and a week of labor. Motors in the Y are pretty much a quick change part and they can do it so fast at the SC I recommend waiting on it versus dropping it off unless of course you live across the street. If they have the part you're in and out in the time it takes to sit through an exceptionally boring Zoom call.

I hate that this is my first post, but here we are. I received delivery of a new Model Y Performance on August 1st. The Tesla sales and delivery experience were great and I enjoyed driving my new Model Y... Until this past Monday.

At 1:30pm this past Monday, my Model Y broke down in a fast food drive-thru in Phoenix, AZ. Two notifications went off and I was immediately unable to put my car into gear. The notifications I received were "Power reduced (code DIF_a062)" and "Acceleration and top speed reduced (code BMS_a170). In order to prevent a long & boring post, I will get straight to the point - my car was stranded for 5 hours between 1:30pm-6:30pm in 110-degree heat in Phoenix, all while blocking a restaurant from serving lunch and dinner service. I couldn't put my car into neutral, creating mass confusion and people being hostile toward me. I had heard great things about Tesla Roadside so I wasn't too concerned...

Well, Tesla Roadside completely dropped the ball which resulted in a hazardous situation. I opened about 6 Roadside tickets but all were either closed or ignored. Luckily my wife sat on hold for an hour and finally got ahold of someone in Roadside. I had to beg and plead for him to put me in direct contact with Roadside leadership which he did. Although that was helpful, it still took 2 more hours to get a tow truck, accounting for 5 hours of waiting in total. The only silver lining is it wasn't my wife and kids that had to deal with this.

They towed my car to a local Tesla Service Center who called me the next morning. They told me to come to get a loaner which I did. I discussed the situation with them but all they did was try and assure me that the car is fine and they gave me two toy Tesla's to give to my kids. They said it was probably just the rear drive component and that they didn't test the car enough before delivering it to me. I haven't heard from them since...

My question now is how the hell do you contact anyone at Tesla to discuss this situation? Both Tesla Roadside and Service have been terrible and I honestly don't want the car anymore. My Model Y has only 500 miles on it and I'm shocked that I'm already having issues and that it's taking this long just to get a diagnosis. Don't even get me started on how absolutely terrible and dangerous Tesla Roadside is - I will never go through them again and have absolutely zero faith in them. The same can be said for their Service and communication. I'm wondering if anyone has a Tesla phone number other than their generic customer service line so that I can get an audience.

I'm still in shock at how terrible my Tesla experience has been. It's crazy that I can't get any help from Tesla and that they're okay with this type of product and "service." Assuming they fail to provide clarity, I won't be taking back the Tesla or will sell it. Trash company and I'd rather deal with the crooks at Audi who at least tried to help me.
I had a very similar experience where it stopped at a red light in the turning lane. MYLR has 2,200 miles on it. I submitted a roadside request in the app the called a tow truck which Tesla reimbursed later. I couldn't put it in gear but was able to put in transport mode. Long story short, Tesla service had it for about 2 weeks and replaced the rear drive unit. I've had it back for a couple weeks now and it drives fine.

I had a very similar experience where it stopped at a red light in the turning lane. MYLR has 2,200 miles on it. I submitted a roadside request in the app the called a tow truck which Tesla reimbursed later. I couldn't put it in gear but was able to put in transport mode. Long story short, Tesla service had it for about 2 weeks and replaced the rear drive unit. I've had it back for a couple weeks now and it drives fine.

so you didnt throw a hissy-fit, get your panties in a bunch, huff and puff, and demand a refund on your car like OP....

....and everything worked out fine?

good to know

Finally took my M3P with 4500 miles to Atlantic City, from Long Island (approximately 200 miles) with absolutely no issues. Tonight, I went to a Tesla charging station in Egg Harbor NJ to charge up 100% before driving home. The station somehow overcharged? and/ or killed the high voltage battery or rear drive unit 3DU. Car is dead! It was then towed to Cherry Hill NJ (60 miles away) and I ubered back to my hotel in AC. Tesla SC completed their diagnosis and is going to remove and replace the rear drive unit. Question: could overcharging have led to rear drive unit failure?

Finally took my M3P with 4500 miles to Atlantic City, from Long Island (approximately 200 miles) with absolutely no issues. Tonight, I went to a Tesla charging station in Egg Harbor NJ to charge up 100% before driving home. The station somehow overcharged? and/ or killed the high voltage battery or rear drive unit 3DU. Car is dead! It was then towed to Cherry Hill NJ (60 miles away) and I ubered back to my hotel in AC. Tesla SC completed their diagnosis and is going to remove and replace the rear drive unit. Question: could overcharging have led to rear drive unit failure?
No

When you say 'overcharged' do you mean that the car was showing over 100% charged? Not sure that's possible. And that wouldn't have anything to do with the rear drive unit.

When you say 'overcharged' do you mean that the car was showing over 100% charged? Not sure that's possible. And that wouldn't have anything to do with the rear drive unit.
It only showed 99% charged. The fact that my rear drive unit blew up when the charge completed just makes me wonder if this was a coincidence or not… I agree that they are mutually exclusive systems.

Freshness: "...infant mortality is a thing when it comes to these cars..."?? Not really a "mortality" event, as it is very temporary.

It would be refreshing to see some hard numbers from all manufacturers regarding "shutdown" failures early on. While Tesla seems to have more than their fair share, I figure that number is infinitesimally small.

And I agree that the OP's issue was a tow company issue, NOT a Tesla issue.
I think he/she meant early life failure of certain electric or electronic components, which seems to be a real thing in these cars. Manufacturers of high availability computer systems run their chips through burn-in to weed out the early failures so that they don’t have to deal with failures in the field. Sounds like these drive units don’t go through that process.

I think he/she meant early life failure of certain electric or electronic components, which seems to be a real thing in these cars. Manufacturers of high availability computer systems run their chips through burn-in to weed out the early failures so that they don’t have to deal with failures in the field. Sounds like these drive units don’t go through that process.
No matter how much testing they go through, parts will still fail later.
SmartSelect_20221122_093421_Firefox.jpg

Bathtub curve - Wikipedia

It only showed 99% charged. The fact that my rear drive unit blew up when the charge completed just makes me wonder if this was a coincidence or not… I agree that they are mutually exclusive systems.
Yeah, I think it was just random (bad) luck. Anecdotally, the rear drive units, if they are going to fail, seem to fail very early.

So when you say “blew up“ was there an actual explosion? I’d be concerned about other damages.
No explosion, but it did sound like popping a large balloon. Didn’t smell any smoke or burning, but after hearing that I just knew it was toast. Btw, the SC advised that the rear motor is ok, it’s just the inverter being defective and they are getting me back on the road today. Very impressive turnaround time. They towed my car about 60 miles, gave me a loaner and $100 Uber voucher. Overall, Cherry Hill Tesla really impressed me with excellent service.

No matter how much testing they go through, parts will still fail later.
View attachment 877137

Bathtub curve - Wikipedia
Yes, the idea is catch those early “infant mortality“ failures through burn-in test and not send them to the field. It’s not free, of course, baking or burning in production parts will incur cost. The rest will eventually fail at the end of life but that’s expected.

Reactions: mm9351